Why Do Jews Eat Chinese Food on Christmas?

Why do (some) Japanese eat KFC on Christmas?

Definitely. Too many of “them” threatens “us.”

1 Like

Which parts? With respect, neither you nor I was actually there when this originated. The simplest explanation is most likely to be right, except when there’s good reason to believe that the simple one is false. And in this case, the two basic explanations aren’t mutually exclusive - “a bit of both” is plausible.

It’s certainly easy to see that local circumstances play a big part when you consider my hometown, which by chance (and/or just plain statistical unlikelihood) had none of the necessary elements. (Well, it did have a population of mostly Christian people who were mostly at home eating mostly the same thing on that day, but none of the other parts.)

Well… I think history can verify that the overwhelmingly vast majority of Jews lived in the major cities / metro areas and still do.

1 Like

Speaking for NJ, there are large Jewish communities in suburbia. You just need to locate a temple to understand your neighborhood. These ideas we all have about our neighbors need healthier updating. I’m trying to be educated.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/new-jersey-jewish-history
Written in 2017…

1 Like

That there was a Chinese restaurant in every little burg. Or a Jewish population, for that matter. That’s what wasn’t and isn’t true. The far West has always had a smattering in various places owing mainly to railroads being built, but where I grew up in KC we had but a few Chinese places. Nixon’s opening of trade with China along with Vietnamese refugees and Thai immigrants in the 70’s really set the stage for the explosion/expansion of Asian food of all varieties all over the country.

So, Nixon did one thing right!

1 Like

He also created the EPA. And he resigned, so…three things!

3 Likes

I agree with you completely on those. I got the impression you were disagreeing with what I thought was my main point, that convenience and coincidence were likely major factors why this started in the first place. (More like Edmund Hillary’s famous response “Because it was there”, and less like a fully-formed complex intercultural meeting of the minds. Not saying there’s no complexity, just it’s probably a subsequent development.)

I read that originally they were the primary non-Christian populations in NYC at the time, and since neither was celebrating a religious holiday, the Chinese restaurants were open and a lot of others weren’t. I think I read that in an old issue of Gourmet, along with the idea that it became a “cheat day” of sorts for a lot of folks that ordinarily observed kosher dietary laws.

3 Likes

Jews eat Chinese food on Christmas because Jews and Chinese are lived close together.

Speaking only for myself because I can barely do that well.

I eat Chinese food because I like it.
I used to eat Chinese on Christmas and Thanksgiving because those restaurants were open.
Today more restaurants open for the holidays so there’s more choices.

1 Like

That is the key for a lot of people. In our area, the Indian restaurants are also open, and we used to go there. (I can’t remember if if was Mark or I who first noted that the red and green chutneys they served made it particularly apt.) Now we get together with close friends, and it’s back to Chinese, albeit take-out.

3 Likes

We probably have different definitions of small town.

My small farming village in the American heartland didn’t get an Asian restaurant until about 2000. The only choices up to then were a couple diners, a pizza place, tavern food, gas stations, funerals, and then every few months the American Legion had a fish fry.

It’s really weird to read this and to see it revived. I get the feeling that amongst the posters, not so many are Jewish and not so many read the piece in the Forward.

There are a few reasons why it has become a thing for (American) Jews:

• Two large immigrant communities
    -Two large immigrant communities that do not follow a Christian calendar (and hence have types of overlap )-- this leads to a recognition of each other’s communities as patrons and businesses.
  • Safe Treyf: Unlike Italian restaurants (for example), Chinese restaurants were not adorned with Christian decorations and the treyf (non-kosher) foods were unrecognisable and hidden and as such could be ignored by those who really didn’t want to think about this.
  • Familiarity and Cosmopolitanism: Jews were patrons of Chinese restaurants many other days out of the year. The advertisements one sees in Yiddish papers is telling. Also: Dumplings look like Kreplach (same!) yet the food is totally different to what one gets at home (excitement, wordiness).

Obviously things have branched out and there are some changes that have happened over time, but to look at the U.S. and Jewish history there, you’ll find a longstanding relationship. It’s great you’re all having the conversation and taking guesses according to what seems logical, but work has been done on this and the reading is great, especially in the Forward which uses their access to Yiddish archives.

2 Likes

Being born Jewish and not eating Chinese food on Xmas is yet another reason to consider myself a bad Jew. As if I needed more reinforcement. Oy veh!

(ok… for those of you who don’t know me and, therefore, are not going to realize that this post was intended as humor, please consider it as “Reform Jewish” humor… we’re a sarcastic people too. Well, those of us still in non-Hasidic Brooklyn are).

6 Likes

Eh, that read very Jewish. You might not be eating Chinese food, but yeah, suspecting one is a bad Jew seems very Jewish.

4 Likes

I don’t mind revived (zombie) threads. I’ve only been here a short time so revived threads are typically new for me too.

5 Likes

Because Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas.

2 Likes

And my mother (Eastern European Jewish origin) explained to me that there was a similar sweet and sour flavor profile between the two foods. Recreating Chinese food Jewish-style (no pork, no seafood) was a popular cooking pastime with her and her friends.

5 Likes