Why Are Millennials So Obsessed With Food?

Not a new article, but find it thought provoking nevertheless.

I really think it comes down to technology, for a few reasons. One, is sensory deprivation. We have formed into a society that’s so accustomed to sitting in front of a screen and typing, for the vast majority of the day…At the same time, [technology is] also making us more isolated. We’re craving community. And food is also allowing us to access the globe, so we can find out what harissa is made with and how to prepare something with it, in two seconds on our phones.

I feel like one reason that young people, or really, people, obsess over food is that it lets people have social currency. It’s a way of showing off. And there’s a weird dimension: You are demonstrating that you have the luxury to be very, very deliberate about something that a lot of people really struggle to have.

(Lamb Owner) #2

Their parents became very interested in food when the sheer variety came to the US. The 60s and 70s were a wasteland of frozen and canned foods, burning bras and tiny kitchens. Millennials are interested because they were exposed to different foods from a young age and are adventurous, but they are certainly not the first generation to discover the joys of a vast array of dining options in the modern times.

The millennials I work with are obsessed with bad food, lunch being Uber eats from the usual suspects of fast food, “good” Italian is Olive Garden and pizza is from the terrible trio + Costco.

We have good pizza and Italian down here if you take a small effort to find it. Most won’t touch seafood unless they are Asian.

I graduated high school in '75 and we didn’t eat canned food but there was an occasional Nighthawk TV dinner.

My mom worked so we were on our own for lunch, usually a hamburger, grilled cheese, grilled steak or chicken, and the TV dinner.

We ate a lot of oysters and fish when we went out.

Oh, the girlfriend didn’t burn her bra, she didn’t own one.

You ate oysters in the 70’s! Sounds cool.

I had an aunt who served food in Brooklyn in the sixties, but I have a feeling it wasn’t legit. I still aspire to her dishes.

I am only beginning to realize how fortunate I was to hang out with my mom, in Queens, in the seventies. Sometimes I/ parents paid for"Sabrett" lunches rather me making myself a sandwich. Did I like that? Gah!

Amazing knishes, “patties”, and pizza by the slice, but no oysters. If they cost then, what they cost now, no wonder. I think I could eat my weight in a sitting now,and I’d love to try!

Don’t even get me started on what passes for music now.

There was a place in Houston called Angelo’s that had all you can eat raw oysters, Rockefeller, boiled and fried shrimp, fried chicken and biscuits. Obviously a while back but I think it was around 15 bucks.

We hit the oysters hard and one day the fellas and I each opened with six dozen before moving on to the Rockefeller which were incredible and I have stumbled on to the recipe.

The shrimp were the second act but a lot were consumed.

Dessert was a piece of the excellent fried chicken.