Who's ONION RINGS and FRIES are the best?

I will remember that next time. Makes sense. I do fold my White Castle rings and dunk them in ketchup. Hmm ranch sounds like a great alternative.

1 Like

I love onion rings dipped in FRY sauce, which is ketchup & Mayo mixed together. Delicious.

1 Like

It is addictive, tho.

I can imagine. I love ranch dressing. Great on buffalo wings too, but of course my favorite is blue cheese. I also put chunky blue cheese dressing on bbq sauced wings. It works. I tried it years back and loved it. Have to experiment or you never know.

1 Like

The roomate eats chunky blue cheese salad dressing on his red pasta sauces. He taught this to his son who has passed this wisdom on to his 4 kiddos.

1 Like
1 Like

Yep, it is a total THING in Utah, and I remember when it came up before! Now I want onion rings/fries! But sadly not happening tonight. Wahh

1 Like

The law case in Canada, in British Columbia, that had to do with McDonald’s stopping the use of tallow, involved the fact this beef tallow was not disclosed. Observant Hindus do not eat beef. I believe some observant Hindus had been under the impression the fries were not fried in oil that contained beef tallow, if I remember right. McDonald’s had been using vegetable oil mixed with beef tallow in Canada. Now McDonalds uses 100 percent vegetable oil, which makes the fried suitable for people who are vegetarian, vegan, observant Hindu or allergic to beef. Some people become allergic to beef after a tick bite, so it makes sense for McDonald’s to offer fries as something people who can’t eat beef can buy and eat.

It had nothing to do with your toxic man made oil argument.

From 2001:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mcdonald-s-apologizes-for-beefy-fries-1.275449

In Canada, I sometimes get onion rings at Harvey’s or at A&W.

8 Likes

I remember this. It was, indeed, the non-disclosure that was relevant.

2 Likes

So better to alienate the majority? Why not have a choice? Maybe we should remove all road signs, books, TV and computer screens because some people are blind. Sorry but I don’t think that way. Anyone who does not want beef can create their own products or buy from another establishment. Simple as being a kid, if your peers don’t want you in their clubhouse, then open your own. Freedom means everyone has choices. I don’t like Sushi, but do I want it banned? Absolutely not.

Wow.

How do you feel about peanut butter in the classroom when some kids in the classroom have peanut allergies?

I’m sure you can find some restaurant that has a smaller client base than McDs that will fry you some beef tallow fries.

I know where I can get duck fat fries if I want any. I couldn’t care less about beef tallow fries.

4 Likes

I truly wish there were a laugh emoji available as a reaction to this comment. The knife and fork just don’t seem to… cut it?

6 Likes

Exactly who was alienated by McD’s eschewing beef tallow? Other than beef tallow suppliers, I mean.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to any fast food places except Dairy Queen in forever, but I think their fries and onion rings are both very good.

1 Like

I (a non-beefeater) was unalienated. So it’s probably a wash.

1 Like

Like I tried to explain. Just because some people don’t like something, does not mean everyone doesn’t. So the rule is as long as it is not what I care about then it is OK. That is a selfish way of thinking. As far as the peanut butter example. Some kids are allergic to cat hair, medications, eggs, fish, etc. Should those kids that have cats, eat fish, eggs, drink milk or need medications not be allowed in the school?
Knee jerk reactions based on emotion are often the wrong decisions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5638466/#:~:text=Peanut%20is%20often%20removed%20from,should%20be%20allowed%20in%20schools.

If a student can die from anaphylaxis because another student shared peanut butter cookies with the class, I think we have our answer.

Cat hair on a sweater doesn’t cause other students to drop dead.

8 Likes

Back On Topic:

I’m pretty happy with most fast food fries so long as they’re fresh… the exceptions are In 'n Out and JitB. Plus, McCain straight cut frozen right out of an oil coated, kosher salted pan after 7 minutes in the flash oven are comparable. Absolute favs are from the local Shoestring.

But onion rings are a completely different animal. My home made onion rings are delectable… perfect texture, flaky crunchiness, and amazing onion flavor… and no fast food/frozen ones have even come close. Shoestring’s are ok, and I kinda like JitB’s (but are big time hit or miss), but have never been satisfied with frozen.

My basic recipe (which often changes with swapping out the cornstarch for corn meal or rice flour):

1 white onion - sliced 3/8 to 1/2 thick.
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup beer
45 grams flour
45 grams corn starch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1.) Soak onion slices in beer with salt and pepper (careful - five to 10 minutes is good… longer may make them a bit too soft - unless that is your thing).

2.) Add beer to flour/corn starch/baking powder gradually until thick.

3.) Pat the onions dry with paper towels, dip in batter, and fry 'till golden brown (I prefer a shallow fry in about a half inch of oil and flip when I see the browning creep on the sides).

4.) Remove on to paper towels and immediately sprinkle with kosher salt.

Favorite dips: Stubbs original with a squeeze of citrus, Ranch, or a mayo sour cream/yogurt bleu cheese.

Less than 15 minutes for sheer Nirvana.

5 Likes

Apparently you did not read the government study. Anyway back to the topic. This is another reason why homeschooling is becoming popular.

A lifetime ago, I worked in a Japanese restaurant. On slow nights, we would sometimes make our own onion rings. We always had onions in the kitchen, we had batter, we had panko, and we had hot oil. We’d slice up two or three large onions into rings, dust them with the tempura-ko (the batter mix), dunk them into some prepared batter, then pack on the panko. After a short fry in the tempura fryer, both BOH and FOH staff were happily munching away on the best onion rings we ever had.

I’m gonna have to make some onion rings soon.

10 Likes