Who's got the best turkey deal this thanksgiving? [NJ]

So this is turning into the NJ thanksgiving thread. Who is going to post some turkey day photos? :smile:

1 Like

The NJ folk welcome all food fans :smile: feel free to share some turkey day love

1 Like

You can count on me. Hereā€™s how last yearā€™s wentā€¦

potd2

3 Likes

Aw. What a cute and well behaved cat! :smile: (unless I missed the second before he/she pounced onto the table lol)

1 Like

No, heā€™s (Lawrence) actually just an observer most of the time. He will stalk ā€œpeople foodā€ but then when given some, he usually just sniffs it or picks at it before walking away. Though he does have an affinity for Costco rotisserie chickenā€¦

2 Likes

Those costco chickens make some great soup!

@fershore do you use straight charcoal?

I havenā€™t smoked a turkey in a few years. I might do one this year but it is a lot of work.

1 Like

thanksgiving price comparison article.

2 Likes

So far this Thanksgiving season Iā€™ve cooked 2 whole turkeys, 3 bone-in breasts, 6 thighs, 4 legs and 4 wings. Just a few more thighs and wings before I finish off with my own turkey on Thursday.

2 Likes

Yes, I heard about this. Did @NotJrvedivici finish it all in the allotted 90 minutes?

3 Likes

Anyone doing a turducken? I have a friend whose family is and she is going to save me a piece. Never had it before.

Iā€™ve had it many times before back home. I did one once up here and most people loved it. It all depends on the type of stuffing.

I think I will do one next year, maybe change that to Xmas this year

DAMN! I forgot to turn on the official timer.

1 Like

If you have Aldiā€™s there: I gave up on the ShopRite when I saw I wasnā€™t going to make $400. Then I saw an ad for Aldi, Butterballs of all sizes for 87 cents. And you didnā€™t have to buy anything else. I picked up three! The ShopRite wasnā€™t a name brand anyway.

Wow, you get the gold star for turkey cooking!

Weber gas grill

Itā€™s all work related. We prepare all sorts of Thanksgiving related food from the beginning of November through Thanksgiving day.

1 Like

Aww man I guess I missed out on the 19c turkey. Popped in today and the cheapest was like 59c or something.

Looks like best deal at this point is Acme for 39c if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Aha! I thought you were an uber turkey lover!!

I sympathize deeply with your mother and conniption fits during/while cooking.

How does it work slow cooking a turkey? Iā€™m not really into turkey but this is interesting to me. Might be a good way to do a turkey breast for lunch meatā€¦

1 Like

Does anyone have a ā€œgo toā€ turkey brand or do you simply shop on price? Iā€™m not sure I could tell the difference between any brands but butterballs seem to come out well. Iā€™m sure itā€™s probably mental.

I think the brine is the number one factor in producing a great turkey for me.