Who likes going to the grocery store ?

Interesting. I can definitely see the ethical human problem of selling cooked/dead lobsters without the buyer knowing this was the situation. And I think that is what you refer to(??).

But there has been a whole `nother discussion devoted to whether lobsters should be scalded alive or killed first (by various means, freezing or knifing through the “brain area”), some of which don’t sound better to me than simply scalding alive, by the way)).

Yeah, agree this is a big nope. Just get a nice quality one and cut the ham yourself.

1 Like

Yes, that was exactly what I was talking about to begin with.

But as to how to kill a live lobster in a humane way. Like you said. No one really knows the right way.

1 Like

I think whoever taught you that was probably trying to convey that you shouldn’t misrepresent what you’re selling, and I agree with that. But if you tell people that these lobsters were cooked very soon after they died, and they’re safe to eat, I don’t see what’s unethical about that. It’s the truth.

? You said

and I asked why.

1 Like

If you want to knowingly eat dead lobsters cooked after they died that’s fine by me. More powder to ya,

We had a HB years ago. Think it folded.

It’s totally cool that you don’t want to eat this (and not even my place to say whether that’s cool or not), but not wanting to do something and thinking it should be illegal are two very different things.

small h was just asking why you thought this practice should be outlawed (apart from the disclosure, which yes, should be required)?

That said, don’t know that I’m bothered one way or another, save for that I am reflecting hard on the ethics of eating them given the recent recognition of their sentience (and given an upcoming trip to New England where initially I was planning to eat ALL THE LOBSTER).

• small h

I guess because how many places of business Are upfront about it. Not a lot I would think.

That does it then, I’m going to eat ALL the lobsters :lobster: even if they are deceased for a short while before being flash frozen. Lobsters don’t release the deadly toxins like crabs do. Just saying, not trying to debate. Personal preferences and views are just that.

1 Like

I am on the wall regarding eating lobster. I’ve certainly consumed my share in New England. As a home cook, I am aware of their reticence to being dropped into boiling water. My resort is to put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes, kind of an anesthetic. Does that absolve me from causing pain? No, but from watching the reaction.
Still not sure I like lobster that much.

1 Like

I love grocery stores. I took a bunch of kids to a bodega in Mexico where they got to see the real butcher’s counter, only one kind of coffee for purchase, and it was great coffee. They bought little items: candies, snacky stuff, soap, agua florida etc.