Who likes going to the grocery store ?

I used to worship at err shop at the North Miami Publix. Miss them and I did hear a rumor that if you quit or got fired from Publix the other stores did not want you because Publix was the best supermarket to work at also.

Not too much heavy metal playing today in the store when I had a wonderful visit to the huge mennonite supermarket. Cdc grabbed a premade hoagie that was very good and fresh for premade. I chose chicken pot pie and also chicken pot pie. Telford Pa has a large mennonite population and is also the gateway to Amish country. I nuked up my chicken pot pie and dug in, knowing it would be insanely good. Rich thick chicken broth and tender wide freshly made noodles. This is how chicken pot pie is done in this hood. I also bought a chicken pot pie with crust to bake in the cool of the evening, Mennonites and Amish are not known for alcohol consumption. The Mennonite barbecue place I worship at has a fb page and once someone asked if the restaurant was byob? When I read that I almost spit out my beer. They said No. Anyhow all this restraint means so so many desserts, We only got a blueberry quick bread loaf and a strawberry pie but many temptations, So many pies. Shoo Fly Pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, peanut butter pie. And cakes and donuts. Managed to resist the Funny Cake. Can’t wait to go back. They are the anti costco in that they cater to an older population so it is easy to load up on small portions of everything.

2 Likes

Do Mennonites usually prefer heavy metal?
I would have pegged them more as square dance enthusiasts.
There’s some really good recipes from Mennonites.

http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/foodways/recipes-community

Always a preference for heavy metal. It’s righteous.

It would be my worst nightmare confirmed.

1 Like

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrJ7J7lTalikFgAEZVXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZANBMDYzNF8xBHNlYwNzYw--?p=all+along+the+watchtower+jimi+hendrix&fr=yfp-t-s#id=7&vid=5cf076e7a66092ca93e3c1b1c6ff1335&action=view

I have always loved this song. The lyrics are deranged. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lu9

It was a joke. I sometimes joke with Jesse the owner of Jesse’s barbecue. Once I told him in praise of his barbecue meats "you rock! " He smiled and replied “now that is something I don’t here much.” He is mennonite. Many people in his neck of the woods are but still have a great sense of humor. Once I was visiting the honor system farm stand in deep summer. It can be very quiet there. It was just me and the farmer himself. He was placing perfect cantelopes on a little disllay and I could not help myself “nice melons” I told this older religious man. He got it and laughed but tone and body language helped. I have a lot of nerve sometimes.

1 Like

I go off hours , too. Early hours for me. Our biggest store has limited life produce they sell for a $1 a bag. Big bag of peppers, bok choy, daikon, broccoli, etc. I love food bargain hunting. I have many grocery haunts, and peruse them all with gusto. Even in out of the way small towns, there are preferred butchers, cheesemongers and the like. At times, I’ll buy something inferior because it’s so cheap I can’t refuse. I like ham; found a spiral sliced one (I’ve NEVER had a good spiral sliced ham). $6.60/9.3 pounds. Okay for sandwiches, but not much else.

1 Like

I read on another thread that H-mart cooks dead lobsters and sells them cheap. I can see the sale ad now:

“Surprise your dinner guests tonight! Fresh cooked dead lobsters - $2.99 per lb. while supplies last.”

ETA: It was Hmart, not H-E-B. I need to give credit where credit is due.

2 Likes

Probably not that big a deal. From https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national/outreach-and-education/fun-facts-about-luscious-lobsters

Are lobsters poisonous if they die before being cooked?

Lobsters are not poisonous if they die before cooking, but you should cook them quickly. Many lobsters sold commercially are killed and frozen before cooking. Lobsters and other crustaceans do spoil rapidly after death, which is why many buyers insist on receiving them alive.

2 Likes

I know what you’re saying but cooked dead lobsters are not for me. If it’s not against the law then it should be.

Why should it be against the law?

I was raised to know that dead lobsters should not be cooked and sold to the public. Ethically wrong. As to the legality of it l, that’s your choice.

1 Like

Amen, brother.
Our last one was a Honey Baked, $60/half ham. Husband was seduced by the seasonal advertising, It wasn’t bad. Certainly a cut above supermarket spirals. But it was still a mutilated ham, prohibiting custom slicing and use. Hope he doesn’t want a repeat performance.

1 Like

I actually have had delicious examples of it, but that was due to a chain restaurant/catering outlet that sold it. Honey Baked Hams - it was popular in the 90’s I think, but not around anymore AFAIK. But heartily agree otherwise.

2 Likes

Honey Baked is still heavily promoted in the SF Bay Area, Paradoxically, they have closed many shops. We had to go to South San Francisco for ours.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t realize that - was it a National chain at one time, or a regional, if you know?

1 Like

I was gifted a HBH several years ago at work. A big ham bone and spiral sliced. It’s good ham.

3 Likes