Who likes going to the grocery store ?

Oooh, i remember going to Hannford once on a vacation there and my friend had to drag a dumbfounded slightly overwhelmed me out of there :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been going to the new UWS location on 93rd which is less insane than others but still generally a shitshow… LES is just really out of the way, but sounds amazing!

With the exception of Wegmans, most American supermarkets are pretty dull if serviceable. I hear good things about Publix, but have never been. I like Asian markets such as Han Yang and H Mart, but what really blows my dress up is NetCost, a small chain of wonderful Russian/Central European markets in New York City, mostly Brooklyn. I always buy way too much.

3 Likes

We have two Netcost locations in NJ and we enjoy their large dairy selection and bakery. Wegman’s is our fav grocer and Aldi is a quick bargain shop some weeks. But, we easily shop at a dozen diff places so to answer the question…yes, we like food shopping.

2 Likes

Going to the supermarket is something I have to do. I go once a week, but if I don’t really need anything, I skip a week. Costco is once a month, since we usually need something there.
That said, food shopping is better than clothes shopping, which I detest.
(Used bookstores, on the other hand, …)

2 Likes

We :hearts: Grocery Outlet. We live a couple of blocks from two excellent carriage trade home-owned supers where we have shopped for decades. Enter, Grocery Outlet, a mile away. Organic produce and dairy, grass fed ground beef, organic chicken. Interesting cheese. Extraordinary prices on canned goods. And, well, yes, astounding prices on our house wine.

3 Likes

What does carriage trade mean in supermarket parlance?

1 Like

“What does carriage trade mean in supermarket parlance?”

TOP quality product and service, and TOP prices. Free delivery.

2 Likes

I love it. And I love visiting grocery stores while travelling.
I go a few times a week. I buy most of my produce, dairy and meat from 2 independent grocery stores.

I stopped shopping at Costco 5 or 6 years ago, and I don’t miss it.

4 Likes

I recently started a job in a nearby town with a Trader Joe’s and have stopped on the way home a few times. I went for the seasonal puff pastry, found some dumplings mentioned here, and some Israeli feta that I usually get at the Nugget, and not for the pleasantries. But I complied.

After jockeying a bit for the line without the woman with a number, er of decline ed debit cards; Employee “How has your say been?” Me “Fine- thank-you-and-how-was-yours?”. She kept checking and we moved along.

1 Like

It means a supermarket where you have to keep swapping your cart with the broken wheel for one that works. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not just supermarket parlance but marketing in general. Originally meant customers who owned a carriage and thus had the money and the space to house both the carriage and the horses that drew it. As opposed to those who had to rent a hansom when they needed it (not even mentioning those who had to take the public horsedrawn trams, or walk). See also: silk stocking district.

6 Likes

Me too! I love it.

3 Likes

That’s a different story, at least in other countries. We still talk about the meat market in Hong Kong, and the Boxer supermarket in South Africa. (As as our guide described it, “Superspar is where people with electricity shop and Boxer is where people with kerosene stoves shop.”) And we’re often trying to buy interesting lunches or snacks.

3 Likes

We’re planning a trip to Texas next summer. DW rolled her eyes and shook her head incredulously when I told her I wanted to stop into a HEB super store while there. :hugs:

8 Likes

You DO wanna go to a HEB superstore, MY HEB is on I-10 west and Bunker Hill in Houston. I’m all over the fresh seafood and prime meats.

4 Likes

Its 50/50 for me.

If I know what I want, it’s a sometimes joyful means to an end. If not, it’s a frustrating abyss of befuddlement and I’d rather die.

2 Likes

One of my first jobs was grocery delivery from a small market to (mostly) dowagers in high rise apartments.
Now I get it.

1 Like

I ADORE Publix! Whenever I visit my in laws in Florida, I have to go. Luckily they like Publix as well and know it’s a great grocery, so their laughing at me is more like with me. :smile: It’s my Disneyland.

1 Like

Out of my husband’s earshot, I really enjoy plain old (not specialty) grocery shopping alone. Either early in the morning or as I thought of later on, when the Dallas Cowboys were playing on Sunday afternoon. I have the whole parking lot and store to myself. No distractions.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes