Which vegetables and fruits do you peel, and why?

I have a pineapple guava tree,

but I assume that is not what we are talking about.

From Urban Plants

Urban-plants-guava-varieties_1000x

3 Likes

I like to start a new topic to discuss those who eat bananas with the skin on.

4 Likes

First, it depends on the dish. There are certain dishes we expect a texture which leaving the skin on vs off has a big effect. Case in point that many of the daikon dish
Second, it depends on my mood. I used to eat my apple with skin on. Now, I tend to peel the apple skin (still not always).

1 Like

I feel we should start with the … do you eat your pizza crust

6 Likes

Bananas with peel and the peel itself are both employed to great pleasure in indian cuisine.

3 Likes

We have that baby guava tree in socal. A full size one was more recently planted, just started fruiting.

(But people keep forgetting to pluck the fruit :roll_eyes:.)

1 Like

The flowers are beautiful and quite edible as well!

2 Likes

Washing help, and peeling will further reduce pesticides.

The combining and quantifying effects of food processing on pesticide residues in fruits were analysed by a meta-analysis approach. Data were collected from many publications and used to calculate response ratios, confidence intervals and intra-assay coefficients of variation. The response ratios for washing by tap water, boiling and sun drying were 0.59, 0.71 and 0.65, respectively, indicating that they could reduce the pesticide residues effectively. Peeling and juicing, where response ratios were 0.11 and 0.14, respectively, showed they could reduce the pesticide residues to a very small extent.

How effective are common household preparations on removing pesticide residues from fruit and vegetables? A review - PubMed (nih.gov)

1 Like

Japan has bananas with edible skin. I’ve seen them in the markets there, but they were insanely expensive.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/edible-peel-bananas-created-japan-food-spd

I did the same thing the first time I was served edamame in a sushi bar. I figured it out pretty quickly, and (fingers crossed) nobody saw.

1 Like

I do not like bare pizza crust. So this looks pretty much like the aftermath of a pizza for me.

1 Like

Yes, I love pizza crust, what’s not to like.

3 Likes

I do too, well really a bush, but it has never set fruit. I have eaten the flowers.

Ours is definitely tree sized, but we don’t get fruit like we used to. We still get flowers though.

2 Likes

Yeah. I saw those too. Very expensive.

1 Like

I figure the article states that " Peeling contributes to food waste." which is technically true, but probably such a small contribution to the overall impact.

Good pizza should have great crust - if the crust isn’t worth eating you are going to the wrong pizzeria

5 Likes

Sometimes I score cucumbers with a fork or only take stripes off with a peeler. Depends on the dish/salad. Very thin slicing obviates the need for thorough peeling. I don’t peel tomatoes if using raw, usually, except to make tomato roses. Eggplants I will stripe or leave unpeeled. I peel onions, of course. Other things - depends on the recipe or how gnarled the peel is.

2 Likes

As for me:

Carrots - usually peel unless they are young and very fresh. When I don’t I usually regret my laziness.

Celery - nope

Butternut squash - always

Acorn squash - steam halves or quarters skin-on

Delicata squash - no peel

Apples - rarely except for pie; I think the peel has a lot of flavor

Pears - almost never

Rutabaga - always

Turnips - yes except for Hakurei

Fennel - outer leaves/layers of bulb if they seem tough/dry

Sugar snap peas - usually string

Peppers - only if roasting

Tomatoes - almost never

Radish - only Daikon

Citrus - of course, except for kumquat

2 Likes

Not joking - pizza crust is actually my favorite part of eating pizza. I actually am one of those weirdos who don’t like pizza that much. But the crust is the best part, and boo to think crust pizza.

Edit: And yeah, I don’t think the discarding peels are that wasteful, but I do have a composter and it’s composting a lot of my peels (though not all). Whatever helps!

2 Likes