Which recent food trends make you roll your eyes?

Deep fried overcooked Brussels sprouts swimming in (not good) oil. Over hyped and overdone.

4 Likes

Are you just being combative [not saying this as a criticism just curious if you’re being provocative] or do you really? I actually love a kale Caesar.

Or worse

1 Like

yes, really

i liked kale before kale became the poster child for the vegan, Açaí bowl eating crowd

2 Likes

When it was a salad bar garnish?

2 Likes

That’s when we started growing kale in our garden.

2 Likes

I also love kale (seasoned with vinegar), and have for as long as I can remember. Also Swiss chard, which we grew back in the 1960s.

1 Like

Stir fired kale with Chinese cured pork belly is delectable.

1 Like

There’s a seasonal grünkohl menu available at many traditional restaurants in Germany this time of year. Kale 12 ways :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, and over-the-top Bloody Mary “garnishes” that are more like a meal for two. Surely, you’ve seen these monstrosities that include bacon or even an entire steak or fried chicken with the glass :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I find most places pretty much just cook the shit out of it and add either potatoes or bacon, or both. What variations on Grünkohl have you encountered? Mind you I’ve only had it in the northern part of the country (the famed Grünkohl mit Pinkel).

2 Likes

I vote for chard!

1 Like

Also the Ethiopian kale dish whose name I can’t remember.

Be still my heart.

2 Likes

Some had Hollandaise. I dunno, it’s been a while. It was in Munich. Probably at Spaten an der Oper that the menu impressed me. I didn’t order anything though LOL. I would have posted a photo on CH.

I’m also impressed by the seasonal Pfifferlinge menu, Asparagus menu and game menus. They seem more broad and varied than Canadian seasonal menus, so it’s just kinda Bavarian exotic for me. https://www.kuffler.de/de/spatenhaus/

1 Like

I live for Spargel and Pfifferling season. Missed the former this year due to having to postpone our trip by a couple months, but got the full Pfifferling & Steinpilz season.

1 Like

Perhaps inspired by yak butter tea, popular in the Himalayas and Mongolia, where it supplies needed calories.

1 Like

Salted caramel. Have people no salt shakers? You can ADD salt to anything if you want to highlight sweetness. No need to ruin all sorts of confections for those of us who don’t like or must limit salt.

3 Likes

The keto / caveman / lo-carb craze brought that into the mainstream, I think. So-called “bullet-proof” coffee with butter in it. Hurp. That’s a hard no for me.

2 Likes

People that I know who put butter in their coffee are into to the keto diet. Olive oil is new to me.

Review: Starbucks Olive Oil Coffee Is Available in the US. Should You Drink It? | Bon Appétit (bonappetit.com)
“We started with the cold brew, topped with olive-oil-infused foam. On the nose, as the sommeliers like to say, it immediately smelled like a leafy salad”

I don’t like to yuck other peoples yum but yuck.

5 Likes