Which recent food trends make you roll your eyes?

I rarely order anything other than from the soup/starters menu. I also prefer a variety of interesting flavors and not one entire plate of one thing. I also have a limit to my appetite, sadly.

4 Likes

The ubiquity of kale, avocado, kombucha, and a bunch of other ingredients I’ve never even heard of. And calling olive oil “Italian butter” or for that matter, “EVOO”.

2 Likes

Smoked ricotta
Smoked mozzarella

Maybe not recent but showing up on too many menus at restaurants I generally like.

1 Like

Great ideas from this thread . Im planning to make bruschetta . Grill some nice Italian bread . Then top lightly with olive oil . Sautéed eggplant and tomato. With finely sliced cooked prawn . And a sliver of Monterey bay ancovy to top .

7 Likes

I ask myself this question every time I see it on a menu - and stifle a scream. I am a Caesar salad aficionado - and I make a damned good one. Which does not include kale. And never will.

And while we are on the subject of kale, to me it’s the balsamic vinegar of menu vegetables.

I will tell you one time I had memorable kale. It was at a friend’s house. Lightly cooked, with a little butter. That I still remember it 15 or 20 years later must mean something :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

Starbucks putting olive oil in coffee. Not a trend, I guess/hope?, except at Starbucks, but an awful idea.

I haven’t tried it, and won’t. It reminds me of something I saw marketed 2 decades ago, briefly, apparently to women from the ads I saw on the subway: a can of “champagne” with some kind of caffeine added.

I do like the option of adding avocado to salads or other dishes. And real extra virgin olive oil is very different from commodity olive oil. However, calling an olive oil “EVOO” doesn’t make it so.

2 Likes

I like kale in 2 restaurant preps:
Caldo Verde soup, and variations of a massaged kale, currant, lemon and parmesan salad with a honey dressing.

https://archive.nytimes.com/well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/dan-barber-knows-vegetables/

6 Likes

i love kale

especially in caesar salads

4 Likes

That reminds me of the ever present avocado toast. I like it, even make it at home occasionally, but it’s everywhere these days & generally overpriced.

3 Likes

With eggplant and shrimp?

2 Likes

I love avocados. That is all …

2 Likes

Olive oil would end up in my coffee only if I’ve had my snout deep into the cooking sherry.

5 Likes

“Truffle” fries and the like that are flavored with synthetic truffle oil. Real truffle would be prohibitively expensive so just be honest.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s another one. Truffled everything, with that vile fake shit.

7 Likes

Chili crisp on everything :rofl:
Everything seasoning on everything … extra harrrd :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

People complaining about food trends.

5 Likes

Hey, if we like a seasoning on one food shouldn’t it be on everything? Reminds me of that B.B. King song, “The thrill is gone…”

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be a proper Caesar Salad without eggplant and shrimp.

4 Likes

…and kale

4 Likes

Drippy syrups all over the outside of glasses. Is anyone really going to lick that off? I feel bad for the dishwasher.

3 Likes