Which Cocktail references do you use?

After reading the cocktail thread a while, I get interested, and bought Death & Co book after many recommendation here, I must say it’s a fascinate read, but find some preparation quite complex for someone that makes an occasional drink and want to try different stuff (and also a beginner).

What books, references or sites do you use? TIA

1 Like

I like this site:
https://www.12bottlebar.com

I have an old Gary Regan book that was fun to read, but I honestly experiment a little and mix what tastes right to me

2 Likes

You’re right about experimenting.

Today I read that Ducasse is organizing a cocktail contest in France, the theme this year is sweet pastries. They give an example of liquid carrot cake.

I don’t know if this is the right direction to go. (And also since when Ducasse is known for his cocktail?!) But I guess the day I will lose my teeth, I will appreciate alcohol and pastries to be drinkable from a glass.

1 Like

Ha!

If you have an iOS device, the PDT app is pretty nice - you can put in all the ingredients you have on hand and it will show the cocktails you can make with them (that have recipes in the app/PDT book), and also ones that need one or two more ingredients. PDT is a cocktail bar in Manhattan.

The Smuggler’s Cove book is also good if you like tiki cocktails.

1 Like

Great, that sounds convenient…as recipes always need something we don’t have at home.

Thanks for the recommendation, as we like especially rum drinks.

Bought it. Took some time to enter the database, I’m surprised there are so many unopened bottles.
App said we can make 6 recipes, 37 recipes missing 1 ingredient, 100 recipes missing 2 ingredients. Not too bad given the fact that we are running out of whisky and have no gin.

1 Like

If you have ever tried cocktails in a bar or club, prepared by an experienced bartender, you probably appreciated the special taste of this drink and wondered how you can achieve a special taste.

Aaaand?

2 Likes

If you have ever tried cocktails in a bar or club, prepared by an experienced bartender, you probably appreciated the special taste of this drink and wondered how you can achieve a special taste. As I learned later, this effect is achieved by mixing various products with hot drinks. You can make delicious classic vodka cocktails yourself. There are simple recipes, there are a lot of them. You need to know a few nuances, then you can become the king or queen of a home party. I think that everyone will be able to prepare a classic vodka cocktails on their own, which will be appreciated by your friends.

Such as?

I get my best cocktail ideas while at dialysis.

1 Like

Stage 4 here.
Take care.
:taco:

1 Like

The Savoy Cocktail Book and Cocktail Codex are the two books which I like, you can try reading them.

1 Like

I really like The Bar Book: Essentials of Cocktail Technique by Jeffrey Morgenthaler. The drink recipes interspersed with the techniques are well-balanced; the margarita and the Jack Rose are staples of my cocktail repertoire.

2 Likes

Punch website