Which Chef has inspired your cooking the most?

Nice to see you, too! Just trying to get used to this new system. I’ve learned to click on “watching” but I have a question. On CH the previously read entries are collapsed; does that not happen here?

1 Like

@Aubergine
It’s a little different here but I think that you are going to like it.
They don’t collapse here for me yet. I’m not sure if that changes once I climb up the ladder and earn more privileges.
So far, I click on my avatar and it shows me my likes in this case :fork_and_knife:highlighted (in blue) as unread and it will tell you how many you have.
It will also show replies to my post with a return arrow once I tap on my avatar.
If there are responses to your thread they will show up beside your avatar (in blue) with a number in the middle (to represent the number of messages that you have).
At the bottom of the page, you have which # of post you are currently at (on the bottom right). If you tap the highlighted (in blue) # you will see a jump to feature on the left hand side.
Tap the jump to and a screen will pop up. So if you are at the 1000 th reply then you can type in 1 and it will take you to the top of the thread.
It takes a little getting use to but it is a great system…very user friendly.
There is also a PM system in place and a “mute” feature if that is something that interests you.
Please let me know if I can answer anymore questions as I’m here to help.
Olunia

1 Like

Good to see you made it here.

But to answer, no, the software doesnt work as CH’s did. But, it does remember what you’ve read. So, when you return to a thread, it will take you to your first unread post.

2 Likes

I never really quite understood the hype for Kenji and his recipes.

I do watch some of his videos from time to time, but rarely do I find anything new and innovative in his recipes.

Making a batch of mayo in an Immerion Blender in short time…I’ve used that technique for decades and it wasn’t Kenji I got that technique from.

Your mileage may vary of course.

3 Likes

Thank you for your book review. I like to hear both sides of the coin.

@Claus, Is that because you are a cookware enthusiast?

I have been inspired by a chef from livorno Italy. I don’t know his name . Great straight forward cooking . He doesn’t stop talking and talks with his hands . No English or subtitles. Love it . On you tube.
IL BOCCA TV - Italian and Tuscan recipes.

2 Likes

I don’t quite understand the question ?

I’m as much into cooking as into cookware - perhaps even more into cooking than cookware to be honest.

I do enjoy some of Kenji’s recipes, but they don’t really bring anything new to the table for me and they are mostly shot in an amateur way - at least the ones I watch on youtube from his channel.

2 Likes

But who knew at the time???

1 Like

That’s what made me leave CH - could not scroll down to the most recent post. I appreciate the HO format.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if the love for cookware came first or the cooking for you.
I assume that you’ve been cooking forever so you know all the Chef’s secrets already.
So not many tips and tricks would be new for you.

2 Likes

It is casual - he doesn’t care - shows up in in his kitchen in the middle of the night, barefoot with his toes painted different colors by his obviously loved daughter. I learn a lot from him and love his “I don’t care” attitude. He’s spontaneous and human and very, very good.

3 Likes

Thank you for bringing that point up @retrospek (“who knew…”)

I’m afraid that my comment may have been too sharp @maccrogenoff.
The comment wasn’t directed at @maccrogenoff yet rather towards all the posters of this group.

That’s the thing he was a Good Chef and many people learned a lot from him. No one knew at the time and no one will ever know. RIP. Please lets not talk ill of the dead.

Thank you everyone for your understanding.

@ retrospect.
I prefer the HO format as well.

The people he sexually assaulted knew and when he was sued everyone knew.

Being a sexual predator is not mitigated by being a “good chef”.

I have no problem speaking ill of the dead if they’ve earned it. Do you expect me to only say nice things about Hitler, Stalin, etc.?

2 Likes

Everybody knows now.

1 Like

@maccrogenoff

I appreciate your contributions, truly I do.
If you wish to discuss the Frugal Gormet and what occured in his personal life please do.

Please open up a new thread and discuss away. I just prefer that it not be done here.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

@maccrogenoff’s Quote:

"The people he sexually assaulted knew and when he was sued everyone knew.

Being a sexual predator is not mitigated by being a “good chef”.

I have no problem speaking ill of the dead if they’ve earned it. Do you expect me to only say nice things about Hitler, Stalin, etc.?"

Again, you may discuss The Frugal Gourmet’s personal life on another thread.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I agree with @Claus that the moment you have some decent idea about cooking his recipes and techniques are rarely cover anything new. His cookbooks are good if you are new to cooking (but even there are other cookbooks I would recommend first). Books like Modernist Cuisine/Bread/Pizza had a much broader impact for me in terms techniques and creativity

2 Likes

What cookbooks would you recommend aside from the Modernist Pizza volumes?

Lol… I must be tired just realized that there are volumes for Pizza, bread and cuisine.

Thanks for sharing.