Where to stock up [Greater Boston area, MA]

Info on the FB page, including the number to call and available items.

6 Likes

They also have a webpage:

4 Likes

I talked to someone in charge of Iggy’s delivery (not the same phone number as their storefront) and they said it’s still being ramped up. The options on the link above are all that’s available now, but they’re hoping to have their full product line available for next week. Specifically, no whole wheat sourdough but coming soon! I placed an order for tomorrow- will let you know how it goes!

I do find it odd that a google search for their website does not in any way link to the delivery site, or have any up to date info.

5 Likes

good to hear about the sourdough whole wheat — that’s my go to. will just have to console myself with the cranberry pecan.

4 Likes

We just purchased a Russo’s box. Pick up was super efficient - drive up, they bring it out and put it in your trunk, no person to person interaction, don’t even get out of your car.

It was a great mix of items for the two of us and I’m happy with the items (nothing I wouldn’t have selected on my own). Super happy.

7 Likes

Oh, thimes, thanks so much for reporting back. I’ll do that next when we’re low on supplies.

3 Likes

Let me put in another plug for Forge Bakery: I just got avocados, bananas, and limes from them in addition to bread and ice cream. I like that you can select what you get (except for their 8lb bag of root vegetables which has a fixed combo of potatoes, onions, carrots, beets, etc.).

4 Likes

Updated shopping hours for Market Basket, now that MA grocers must set aside shopping time for seniors every day. Seniors-only hours from 6:00 AM - 7:00 AM. Otherwise, 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM daily.

And as you’ve probably heard, Governor Baker has temporarily banned reusable shopping bags. Leave your reusable shopping bags at home until further notice. (Mine are washed and sanitized for when this is over. Patiently waiting for as long as it may take.)

I’m able to skip a grocery run altogether this week because neither we nor my neighbor need more supplies yet.

4 Likes

If anyone is venturing out and wanted a little summer fun, Market Basket has lobster for $5.99/lb. they say “new shell” but they were no shedders. But was a bright spot, and of course they steamed them so it was an easy dinner.

Bought 6, and had lobster rolls with the leftovers. Made everyone very jealous on our video happy hour chats.

8 Likes

The edict against reusable bags makes me sad (but it’s understandable). Hubby did a Wegmans run this morning and came home with a bunch of plastic bags which he knew would make me mad. At least Whole Foods/TJs has paper bags only (which serve as our garbage bags). I know that paper bags are also not easy to produce but at least they decompose.

2 Likes

Same here.

FWIW, this morning I talked to a friend who lives in Italy. Their version of the rule is that customers must place their groceries in the cart, without bags, at checkout. Then customers bag their own groceries outside in the parking lot using reusable bags.

I tried to envision what would happen if we tried that approach here, but our supermarket parking lots are chaotic enough as it is. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Market Basket has paper or plastic. Although I try for boxes if they have them, good for recycling,
can use them a couple of times.

2 Likes

need to put in a shoutout here for Neighborhood Produce just outside Magoun Sq, on this thread, because it’s proved a nice alternative in these crazy times. It’s a small place with a semi-local focus, and since I live nearby it’s been a great and low key place to get general items without having to deal with going to Wegman’s. (Is it just me, or is Wegman’s really overrated? I go there a fair bit because it’s nearby, but personally I find it a fairly disappointing experience. Especially lately.)

They closed down for a couple days this past week to restock and clean the place, which is encouraging. They’re good about having a minimal number of people in the store (three maximum) and their employees are wearing plastic gloves to minimize any transmission. For goods, they have things like milk and eggs and such from local purveyors (and the eggs have not soared in price like they have at the big places) and they have a well priced, broad assortment of other fruits and vegetables. Some of these are local and some are not–they carry oranges and grapefruit and the like from what must be a big distributor, and root vegetables and their ilk from sources nearby. But everything is priced reasonably, there’s no “oh we’re a little local market” markup at all.

I found green peppers here the other day after going to Wegman’s at 7:30 AM and discovering that they had no green peppers at all–nor red, nor yellow. It’s a small spot, and they don’t have everything but in these times they’re ending up one of my go to stops on my infrequent trips out. If I think I can get what I need here without braving a supermarket, it’s where I’m heading first.

8 Likes

It’s been so many years since I’ve taken plastic bags that I’m telling myself a few lying around for reuse for kitty litter or messy clean ups is not the end of the world. (Although it does feel like the end of the world.)

2 Likes

Spied this handy compendium at Eater today. Seems to cover a lot of area resources.

P.S. I think Eater has done a commendable job of pivoting in these times to provide useful information.

5 Likes

Thanks. Very comprehensive list.

2 Likes

Interesting to see that wholesale distributors Baldor and J. W. Lopes are doing home delivery now. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

3 Likes

Comprehensive indeed, great job Eater Boston! There is no comparable resource here in Tucson AZ (where I am stranded for the duration). There is a site called Tucson Foodie which has pulled some info together and commendably is reminding folks to donate to the community food bank if they are in a position to do so.

6 Likes

Latest shopping report from my now every 2-weeks grocery store visit. I ventured farther afield to the Littleton, MA Market Basket because I remembered that the store’s footprint is a larger one, all the better for social distancing. Turned out to be a good move because the manager was very strict about requiring customers and employees to observe proper physical separation.

On this run, I was able to acquire just about everything on our household shopping list and that of my neighbor.

I only had to make a few minor substitutions on my neighbor’s list this time. Whew! I was not sure if I could get sliced baked ham from the deli and ground beef—the meat situation has been tricky—but I was able to deliver on both. My neighbor has been cocooned by herself for nearly a month to avoid exposure, so I feel that sourcing the grocery items she wants is at least something.

The store was far better stocked than I’ve seen at MB in the past month. While paper goods are still scarce on the shelves, there was a small quantity to be had for those in need.

Also, limits on quantities of in-demand goods were strictly observed at the registers. I can imagine enforcing all the rules is a thankless task for the store staff.

8 Likes

I had to head out this morning so I figured I’d hit the older-shopper hours at Star in Waverly wearing a mask and gloves and using liberal amounts of sanitizer. It was fairly quiet about 8:00, and people weren’t being too aggressive so there wasn’t much worry about social-distancing. There was a roll of paper towels and a spray bottle of disinfectant by the carriages. They had decent stocks of most fresh veggies, some meats and cheeses. The chicken supply was pretty weak, but they were stocking the meat department when I left so that may have improved. The dairy case was fairly full. They even had (shhhh…) King Arthur all-purpose flour. No toilet paper that I saw, no rubbing alcohol, but I was able to stock up pretty well. on most things and not feel too stressed.

4 Likes