Where to have dinner on the Westchester side of the Tappan Zee

Hi HO’s - we are meeting some friends from Fair Lawn for dinner in a couple of weeks. Last time we crossed the TZ, this time it’s their turn. I am looking for a good option for dinner - not terribly expensive and they are not adventurous eaters - and she is no carb. Anyone have any suggestions? I will be eternally grateful!

Bridgeview Tavern in Sleepy Hollow - nice views of the bridge, good pub food (with plenty of non-adventurous options), good beer list, moderately priced. We are also low carbers and have found good option on their menu each time we’ve been there.

1 Like

Thanks!

Does anyone know anything about Il Sorriso or Mima Vinoteca in Irvington?

1 Like

I can recommend Mima as a relaxed place to try new wines from Italy and enjoy snacks, salads and especially pastas. Have not actually had any entrees there - no reason why, the pastas are quite good and I suspect the rest of the menu is as well.

2 Likes

More love for Bridgeview Tavern. I adore the place. Terrific beer garden and their inventive weekly specials and smoked wings are excellent. Just a note - you won’t be able to order from the full menu in the outdoor beer garden, so if you go for dinner, definitely get a table inside. Save room for the butter crack chess pie. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Bloombee What are your favorite pasta dishes there?

Their carbonara is quite good, and the pasta with favs beans. My other faves are not on the current menu but there are new ones to try! My dh likes their meatballs so I suspect the spaghetti with meatballs would be good

I love carbonara! It’s a bit of a drive for us but maybe it’s time for a return visit!

Thanks for the suggestions. Since my friends like Italian we are going to give Il Sorriso a try. Hope it’s good.I’ll report back in July!

Recently ate at both places. Entree portions at Il Sorriso are much larger although they are a little heavy on the salt. We were surprised at the very limited wine selection at Vinoteca. Mima has a more intimate atmosphere. Overall we enjoyed Il Sorriso more.

1 Like

Thanks!!!

We ended up at Il Sorriso in Irvington, and we were pleasantly surprised. The place is a bit run down, but we ate in the back room with a lovely view of the Hudson. Service was terrific old school Italian. When you sit you are served the bread basket with pats of wrapped butter, but with a vinegary dip that is pink with tomato and garlic and it’s really good on the bread. The food was excellent also. We had Veal with prosciutto, fontina and truffle - the veal was good quality and very tender. We shared a pizza and it was first rate. Good charred, chewy but thin crust -They have a wood burning pizza oven. It was not Fortina but it was nice. Our friends had a veal scallopine that was a special - but I don’t remember what it had except mozz. and our other friend had Branzino. Everyone enjoyed it. And the expresso’s were first rate!

1 Like

Sounds like an enjoyable meal! Thanks for posting. I wonder how it compares side by side to Mima. It sounds like Mima is a little more modern to Il Sorriso’s old school.

I thought that was the case which is actually why I picked Il Sorriso.

1 Like