Where to eat the cuisine of Italy in New York City "without surprises"

For a short, tourism-only trip, I agree - but many people travel for extended periods for work, etc., and might occasionally want a taste of home. I spend a lot of time in Berlin and as much as I enjoy German food (and the other culinary delights Berlin has to offer), there are those times when I crave a good old American hamburger, and I’m very glad I know where to go to get a great one.

1 Like

Please say The Bird :slight_smile:

1 Like

Girl, you know it. Is there anywhere else? I DREAM of that burger - it’s the best I’ve ever had. And those fries. And their house-made blue cheese dressing. I’m salivating now.

1 Like

We actually didn’t go last summer (!!!), but now that they’ve opened up an “express” place in Mitte, we may just hafta :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I have to remind myself of that. A year ago we were with a group in SE Asia. One of the guys wouldn’t touch any “Asian” food. Just not his thing.

You must share. What is the Bird?

It’s a burger bar in Berlin, run by American ex-pats. They grind their own meat and make all of their sauces/dressings in house. Very unfancy place, but they have the best burgers and fries I’ve ever had, anywhere, including many many NYC places that are “famous” for their burgers. Here’s a pic (not mine - from google images):

I’m not actually a fan of English muffins, so I always get a patty melt, which comes on buttery toasted rye. I add Blue cheese dressing.

No fair teasing a person like that! Fries look amazing!

Of all the restaurants on that list I’ve only been to Via Emilia but I like it fine. I live in NYC and I’ve been there about 20 times.

FWIW Little Italy hasn’t been good in more than 30 years. It’s strictly for tourists so its decline really isn’t a loss. Good Italian restaurants are distributed around the city.

1 Like

I actually find the English muffin stands up better to the huge, juicy patty than most burger rolls would.

Damn – now I’m craving The Ghetto Deluxe :heart_eyes:

We’ve been toasting English muffins on the grill for our burgers for some years now.

Try it on the griddled rye sometime. It’s sturdy enough to hold all that juice but not quite as bready/thick as the muffin. And it’s sooooooooooooo buttery.

1 Like

I just noticed this thread, so I hope my reply is still useful to you! Cacio e Pepe is one of my favorite restaurants; I ate there last weekend, in fact. My one experience at Cacio e Vino (in 2015) was also very good, and I’ll certainly go back. Both are small, casual, moderately-priced places in the East Village, with friendly service. Cacio e Pepe offers Roman-style food, and Cacio e Vino is Sicilian; their menus are interesting and varied. I don’t recall whether Cacio e Vino has outdoor seating, but Cacio e Pepe has some sidewalk tables and a very pleasant back garden. I can’t claim to be an expert on Italian food, but not long ago I dined at Cacio e Pepe with a friend who lived in Italy for several years and whose Italian father was an excellent cook, and my friend was very happy with his meal.