Where are the gems hiding in the Triangle?

(Tom) #1

Many years ago, I visited the Raleigh Flea Market Mall at Raleigh Flea Market “Mall” at 1924 Capital Boulevard.and found a couple of good taco stands. I would never have thought to look there, but it makes all the sense in the world to me now. In the N&O Greg Cox reviewed East Coast Asian Bistro which started inside a Kroger. My wife loved the Mexican restaurant inside the Amoco station on Capital in Raleigh. To qualify as a hidden gem the place must be inside another business. What have you got?

(Tom) #2

I thought of another one! Taylor’s Wine Shop at Six Forks and 540 is a gas station in Raleigh. Weekday mornings they sell house made biscuits.

(Tom) #3

Here’s another one: El Mandado, an international grocery store in Raleigh, has a taco stand inside it. I haven’t been there in years, because I now live in Carrboro, but Yelp says it’s still going strong. They had a neon green salsa that was really good.

(Mandy) #4

Does Butcher’s Market count? They make really good sandwiches inside this butcher shop and market.

Where is that? What have you enjoyed from them?

(Mandy) #6

The one I’ve been to is at Milbrook Rd and Falls of Neuse, but there is another one in Cary. I have really enjoyed the turkey and fig spread sandwich on ciabatta, the 2 gyro special, the short rib burger (amazing!) and the Korean pork sandwich. The Italian was also good. They all come with a bag of chips, a small dip of the day on the side and some crackers for about $8. They have great iced tea also. The meats are all in-house meats.

Is this the new incarnation of The Meat House? Can’t picture anything else in that area…

(Mandy) #8

Yes!