When Traveling Abroad, Should I Avoid Places That Serve A Lot of Tourists?

It’s the bread but it is also unbalanced overall - just putting large amounts of pastrami (or anything) on a sandwich doesn’t make it good - any good sandwich has a well thought out balance of the different ingredients

This is turning into a Katz’s review but what the hell. Yes, as someone asked above, the hot dogs are good. And the corned beef is too.
When I was in Montreal several months ago, I had a beef sandwich at Schwartz’s. I liked it as much as Katz’s.

1 Like

Sure, I agree. Does anyone actually eat this one like a sandwich?

What are your opinions of Harold’s, if you all are against giant sandwiches?
It seems to be a favorite of my east coast friends, at least as far as value vs. quality and quantity.

1 Like

I see your Harold’s sandwich and raise you a Schwartz’s smoked meat sandwich.

1 Like

When I was sitting at Katz a lot of people at it there as a sandwich

1 Like

Just remembered another we like:

2 Likes

I usually try to go off the beaten path if for no other reason that it’s a great excuse to get to know a city better. This has rewarded me in so many ways I can’t even begin to count.

4 Likes

As a child, I used to bristle when, in visiting new cities, my mother insisted on taking public transit from city center to the burbs and back, while I wanted to go see the bright lights. I have come to realize that she was right. We learn.

2 Likes

Eater has this kind of list for a lot of cities - mixed feelings on what’s on the list here, but interesting nonetheless:

1 Like

I don’t use public transportation such as buses and rail in the US. They’re merely tools to efficiently distribute crime throughout a metropolitan area.

2 Likes

That may just be the funniest thing I’ve read this week.

1 Like

Interesting! Never thought of them that way. Before Covid, I used SF’s convenient buses to whisk me all over town in minutes. Like a mosquito. We haven’t used transit again yet and I miss it terribly.

I have never been uncomfortable on transit here. Heads up and aware of surroundings like everywhere.

3 Likes

Berlin, like many other German (and European) cities has a fantastic public transport system that will pretty much get you anywhere at all times - subway, elevated train, buses, regional trains.

The US just missed the bus on that one. Pun intended.

3 Likes

Another reason I disliked GG Transit was that I was often stuck in stop/go traffic immediately behind one s/b 101 trying to cross the GGB. When riding a scoot I’d split lanes.

GGT and BART are perfectly safe outside of commute hours. :smirk: :laughing:

1 Like

Same with us. We can use bus, tram or train round the metro area. And, as we’re seniors, it’s free (apart from an annual £10 charge for the card). We just don’t want to be in that proximity to folk if we can avoid it (by driving).

1 Like

I used to use the Metro (subway) in DC but never used the buses. Now that I live in the sticks it is my own car, Uber or shanks mare.
The funny thing is that I like to get a feel for foreign cities by using the buses there, but dislike using the buses in my own area.
As to RD’s comment about mass transit facilitating crime, I don’t think that happened at all in the DC area. Section 8 rental assistance in the suburbs was the thing that had a positive correlation to increased crime rates, not mass transit.

1 Like

Hi I’m Bob. Welcome to the neighborhood. I’ll be your robber tonight.
Oh hello Bob. How’s the kids?
They’re doing fine. Maggy got an A in history.
That’s terrific Bob. Well I have to go. Say hello to your wife.

1 Like

Such a great, underrated movie.

1 Like

It was.

1 Like