When Traveling Abroad, Should I Avoid Places That Serve A Lot of Tourists?

I really enjoyed my Katz’s sandwich! Once for lunch and then i ate the pastrami with just a touch of the mustard on crackers as a late night snack.
There may be better somewhere but Katz’s is pretty darned good.

Katz has good pastrami but a really lousy pastrami sandwich.

1 Like

Even if it’s a really lousy pastrami sandwich, I’m not sure how lousy it can be when some lousy pastrami sandwiches out there made with lousy pastrami, lousy mustard and lousy bread.

I’d think a really lousy pastrami sandwich made with good or great pastrami is at least a 6 unless the bread is moldy.

I think I have heard Katz makes a good hot dog, too?

1 Like

The problem with the pastrami sandwich at Katz is that it is so overloaded with pastrami that the quality of the other ingredients, especially the bread, plays a much bigger role in the overall quality of the whole sandwich experience. The bread wasn’t moldy but the quality was so poor that it wasn’t too far of from being on the same level as moldy. If I compare Katz’s pastrami to Langer’s they are so different in quality that they are not even playing the same game.

1 Like

More than once, I have eaten there with friends who have brought a loaf of rye bread with them. Katz’ bread sucks.

1 Like

I find overstuffed sandwiches to be common in America - too many ingredients and too much of them.

2 Likes

best+bloody+mayrs+of+the+decade+bloody+mary+obsessed+chef+point+cafe+crazy+garnish

Bloody Mary laughs and laughs :rofl:

6 Likes

The staff didn’t care when they whipped out their own bread? This is of note.

(My grandmother carried her own bread to restaurants but we laugh about it.)

2 Likes

Word. Though I’m not sure how my comment about Katz’s “having great food” was ever construed to be an endorsement of their sandwiches :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

This has got to be one of the more idiotic trends as of late :roll_eyes:

1 Like

At the late Carnegie Deli, the way to deal with the badly proportioned pastrami or anything sandwich was to take bread from the bread basket (if you asked for one) and make two-three sandwiches from the one ordered/served.

2 Likes

Used to do that with Molinari sandwiches in North Beach SF. Buy an extra sourdough roll and scarf down two still humongous sandwiches. The sandwiches are normal sized these days and would not satisfactorily make two.

1 Like

Good pastrami can make a lousy pastrami sandwich if the bread falls apart when you pick the sandwich up.

2 Likes

I guess I don’t fault the sandwich if it tastes good but falls apart.

I often eat the middle and toss out the bread.

For me, a lousy sandwich tastes lousy. It’s not about its construction.

1 Like

I am with you on this. After the first couple bites my Katz’s pastrami was a bit of a mess but as a sandwich it was really good and later on the pastrami was great on crackers w just a touch of the mustard. LOL!
I won’t even mention how much i like the wet and messy steak and cheese that is so popular in the DC metro area… Oops.

1 Like

Here’s a well-designed view:

1 Like

I guess when you talk about Katz many people, for right or wrong, associate them with their pastrami sandwich as their key “accomplishment” and so saying that they “having great food” implies that the sandwich is great food

I haven’t been in years, but didn’t think it was lousy. If not the pastrami, what do you think made the sandwich lousy?

ETA oh, I see; the bread? Recently had my first Langer’s
I enjoyed some of the sandwich in my hotel room, and ordered some pastrami to bring home. I don’t eat much bread, but I can appreciate it.

1 Like

The classic deli pastrami sandwich had very few ingredients. Essentially several inches of pastrami on rye bread.

1 Like