What's your secret ingredient you add to cooking , or baking ?

It’s sentiment but true. I know someone who cook with love, she is extremely generous with ingredients with spice and big portion and thé time she spent in kitchen. Obviously she likes the people she is cooking.

1 Like

A bag is not going to hold it.

First time I had several bags of dried mushrooms from the local Asian market in the pantry and happened upon this website http://thehealthyfoodie.com/magic-mushroom-powder/ and just winged it from there

Damn! you beat me to it!

1 Like

There’s always room for more love!!

Only prime, then, and never choice or select grade! :grin:

2 Likes

with a side of fava beans and a nice Chianti.

2 Likes

I put a tablespoon of vinegar in my pie crust which makes it slightly sweet and I put a touch of ground cloves in my apple pie.

Great advice Joe , Thanks . Never heard of that one .:thumbsup:

I use vodka for the same reason…if I ever run out (unlikely!) I’ll remember to use the vinegar instead :wink:

So, limited to Asian food markets?

No. I got mine via Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Portabella-Mushroom/dp/B00EGCE9ZA/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1467472685&sr=1-3&keywords=mushroom+powder

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. We’re putting together an order for Amazon this weekend. Will add that to our order. Cool!

Anardana powder - ground pomegranate seeds
Smoked dates - like instead of raisins in oatmeal cookies or for a filling

I used all kinds of mushroom powder in a lot of things. Prefer to pulverise the mushrooms myself, though. Now I have also added pulverised kombu to shiitake powder, as per Danny Bowien.

One of my finishing salt (Maldon) has cep powder for steaks. Want to pulverise dried morels next time for a steak “sauce”.

• Turkish red pepper paste. Gives food a specific taste and a beautiful deep red colour.
  • Merkén. A chilli condiment commonly used in Chilean Patagonia, mostly by indigenous people.

I assume you buy the anardana powder but do you smoke your own dates?

Yes. I don’t know if it’s a true smoke, there is indirect heat involved, but it doesn’t cook the dates too much. About 5-10 minutes is enough, depending on date density.

I use soy sauce in a ton of things, not even that much of it, but the umami plus salt combo perks up everything from salad dressing to beans.
Tomato paste-basically any recipe with canned tomatoes i’m also going to add a gob of tomato paste.
V-8 is the secret ingredient for my gazpacho, bloody marys, and I frequently add it to soups/stews

Agree on salt, somehow it became evil and you can’t always make a no salt dish better by just adding it at the table. I was making a salad at my good friends’ place to have with our dinner and she nearly had a fit when she saw me add a pinch of salt in there. And then she proceeded to have second helpings while her husband told me it was the best salad he’s had.

The Chinese or the Japanese soy sauce you use?

I usually have pearl river bridge on hand which is chinese, i buy a rediculously large bottle of it in chinatown that lasts me a good six months or more.

1 Like