What's your food kick lately ?

Lately I have been into making Pan Con Tomate . I have had it five days in a row . I also have to add burrata cheese . I would love to make this . I have been getting the dry farmed early girl tomatoes from the FM . I also saw them in whole foods .
I grate the tomatoes whole with a box grater into a bowl .
Add olive oil
salt
Small amount of pureed garlic . I use my knife to crush it along with a little salt moving the flat side of the blade back and forth .
Spread mixture on grilled bread .
The tomatoes are so sweet right now. I’m loving it .
Any food kicks lately ?

2 Likes

Syrups, pestos, and infusions. Trying to use the summer herbs while they’re still here.

1 Like

Not intentionally, but I bought more tofu recently, so I guess you can say tofu (in my ingredient list) is my kick?

2 Likes

Kimchi but I’ m in Korea at the mo so don’t get a lot of say on the matter.

3 Likes

Putting this out here and then ducking…:sunglasses:

Hamburgers on the Weber.

Haven’t had enough of them this summer, so powering it up for Fall grilling.

3 Likes

Potato salad. Store bought. Crazy craving.

2 Likes

Italian sausage soup and chili. Weird I know, it’s been 90 here all summer and I have been wanting spicy soups. Burning up the garden tomatoes.

1 Like

Grilled Jarlsberg, onion, heirloom tomato sandwiches.

1 Like

I’m not throwing anything. I moved into a new abode with a no BBQ/grilling rule.
Color this boy sad.

1 Like

Nothing to duck about. Hamburgers are loved everywhere.

2 Likes

Truffle oil. My new favorite steakhouse in NYC makes a truffle mac n cheese that I am flat out addicted to. I try to avoid carbs like macaroni, but I can’t help myself when I’m around this stuff, it’s my kryptonite.

I have toyed with it at home, I have also made some truffle oil popcorn. I’m trying to find different things to pair with this very distinctive flavor…suggestions are welcome!!!

3 Likes

Scrambled eggs. Mashed potatoes.

3 Likes

I’ve had it on pizza with goat cheese.

1 Like

Chopped fresh hatch chili (new Mexico No. 9) from the garden.

They are so amazing straight off the vine that I started a whole thread on them

A very distinctive and complex favor.

1 Like

I thought that Hatch chilies had to be grown in the Hatch Valley – is a Hatch chili now a variety of chili, regardless of where it’s grown?

We’ve been making Maangchi recipes a lot the last couple months. http://www.maangchi.com/

1 Like

Pan con tomate is absolutely obsession worthy. I make an even more simple version, as a friend from barcelona taught me- well toasted bread, cut in half tomato rubbed onto it vigorously so the seeds and innards end up on the toast. Dribble with olive oil and flakey salt.
A thread on CH a while back used the same treatment on those thick homemade style corn tortillas that have a rough surface texture, and that combo is amazing too.

The past few months i have been making smacked cucumbers constantly, lots of savory yogurt bowls, Zahav’s hummus, and a watermelon salad with olives, cilantro and arugala.

With the change of seasons this will soon change to roasted veggies and lots of stews and soups but i try to postpone that as long as possible!

1 Like

I have used that method also T . With this one I will spread a small amount on the toasted bread and press it with the spoon and then dribble a small amount on top . What I like about this method is I take the leftover1/4 cup and drink it . it is so good and sweet with those tomatoes , best ever :yum: Did you get a chance to hit up any FM’s while visiting the Monterey Bay ? It’s busting at the seams with produce .

Did you know that in advance? It’s spirit crushing. My condolences on the loss you’ve suffered. It damn well might have killed me.

4 Likes

What are smacked cucumbers?

1 Like