Whats your favorite salt ?

KCl (potassium chloride) adds a very unpleasant and odd flavor to food.

When major food manufacturers began lowering sodium content in processed foods (to avoid regulation), they replaced NaCl (salt) with potassium chloride.

This is why so many canned, processed foods taste different from what people remember eating as children. Campbell’s Chicken Noodle and Tomato soups are prime examples.

2 Likes

I had thought of that. However, for half of my cooking I follow recipes, so I will use the equal amount in volume. I.e., I use half the volume when using morton table salt. For bread, I have done it both ways: adjusting the volume or using the same weight in table salt.

1 Like

Well, I found one smoked salt at the stores I shop in. I tried it tonight with some stir-fried and braised Swiss chard stems. There was no noticeable smokiness, but there did seem to be an extra element of flavor, some mellowness. I’ll have to use it a bit longer to form a definite opinion, and maybe even dig up some others.

1 Like

Do you know what kind of wood it was smoked with? I am a newbie to smoked salts but I’ve been smoking meats for probably 20 years now. I am kind of getting into smoked salts and finishing salts lately. It is fun. I’ve been a long time kosher salt fan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you use the smoked salt when cooking or as the finishing salt? There’s a noticable difference, i prefer using as a finishing salt and i just use minimal if any salt when cooking the dish.

1 Like

ummm-
the 37th grain from a box of morton salt DEELISH

Fellow meat smoker here (though I haven’t nearly your experience!). Thinking of putting a dish of kosher salt into the smoker next time I fire it up and seeing what happens!

1 Like

The salt is from England, from a company called Cornish Sea Salt Co. The smoke is from oak, apple, and cherry wood. As I said, it was the only smoked salt that was readily available. I’ll keep experimenting with this one before searching for others.

No, I used it for cooking. I may be way off base, but I figured that that would better allow the taste to integrate into the dish. But I’ll try other things, too.

1 Like

I use it for both. I made a smoky butternut squash soup that came out great using smoked salt. DH loves to rim his hot and smoky margarita with it (the drink is his own concoction)

My local market makes one that is very good. I don’t know what kind of wood they use.

2 Likes

Tonight I made two different dishes using the smoked salt: braised carrots and tomato sauce. I couldn’t tell the difference between tonight’s versions and the usual versions I make.

I have too many salts! In general diamond cystal, but table salt for cake, smoked for steaks, and Maladon for finishing. Just bought some fine sea salt which I like as well.

From seriouseats
https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-i-need-to-use-kosher-salt.html

1 Like

The Serious Eats article you link to is a helpful and entertaining read, @shrinkrap. I especially appreciate the part about kosher salt and table salt not being equal by volume.

That is, the irregular shape of kosher salt crystals means that they don’t pack together as tightly as table salt. I have thrown couple of hefty pinches of table salt in a dish when there was no kosher salt at hand and learned that salty lesson.

2 Likes