What's The West Coast Dungeness Season Looking Like?

1 Like
1 Like

They were living on TI, crabbing in Pacifica. Harvesting Dungeness Crab is illegal in SF Bay, the location of TI

There have been reasons for not consuming SF bay Seafood for decades. Same with foraging the 'rooms.

The ones I got were smallish; I’m calculating about 1.5 pounds. I don’t know how often I’ll do this this season.

5 Likes

I’m always scrambling for steaming directions

1 Like

Hmmmm…Cleaning a crab before cooking.

I’m making stock for gumbo. I’m re-watching Zimmerman, but still struggling to figure out whats okay and whats not from the innards.

Sort of, but only little crab claws , backs, and no garlic. Okay, not using this recipe.

Our local paper advertised ‘fresh Oregon Dungeness crab’ today for $6.97/lb at one of the grocery stores. Sign in meat department said ‘crab is unavailable because of the coastal storm’. Maybe another time. I’m still hoping.

No crab from Oregon and Washington till February 1 in the latest update.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. This grocer is not known for integrity.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. QFC has them advertised for $6.99 lb (weather permitting as always). Was thinking of stopping by after an appt I have tomorrow to see if they have any. I won’t bother now that I checked the latest update.

Things seem to be in flux. :frowning:

Can’t say I blame them. I’m probably repeating myself but I am happy that I ate as much crab as I did back when it was $2.99-$4.99 a pound.

4 Likes

What is QFC?

Quality Food Center

Thank you! If someone has a great technique for extricating the meat from the bodies, please share! I’ve read, I’ve watched videos, I’m using scissors, fondue forks, and chopsticks, and do okay, but still think i could up my game.

Great technique means patience. I learned from my mother. Take apart the smaller pieces and claws and separate that meat from the bodies. Go over carefully a second time (for bits of shell and cartilage) before storing or using. If freezing, be sure to triple seal; the meat dries out quickly. I use a simple nut cracker, nut pick and a fondue fork for implements.

1 Like

Quality food center is, so they like to think, an upscale Fred Meyer. Both now owned by Kroger. A while back (10 years ago at least) I watched a local news show where they had a segment where they had a guy at a seafood fest probably at Newport, OR, showing how to break down a Dungness crab very fast and with no tools of any kind. My husband pulled off his technique a few times. There was something he did with the claws that was simple but smart. We forgot how to do it because at some point we got sort of bored of crab. That boredom has passed. I’ll try to see if I can find it for you.

1 Like

Thanks @mts , @Rainycatcooks , and thanks all!

I too lose my interest/patience around late February, March.

I have no problem with anything but the body!

It’s a cadaver! It should be fairly predictable. Every dungeness crab has about the same anatomy; the same thorax with the same thin walled cavities, albeit one pattern on the inner part, and a different pattern closer to the legs.

I couldn’t find the picture I wanted, but something like this.

Or this

Dungenessnew

I’m thinking there’s got to be an ideal approach, perhaps related to being more intentional about separating the legs from the body, so I can get the lump meat out more efficiently.

The part a about 3:18 I AM being patient! :rage:

Okay, I got through most of it.

I think just the right amount of pressure in the right place.

Some claws left. The most immediate gratification. :woman_supervillain:t5:

4 Likes

What I used to do . After picking up live crab from the fisherman from Santa Cruz harbor.
Get a large pot of water boiling as hot as you can make it .
Plunge the live crab into the water . Of course with a thank you blessing.
Cook for 16 minutes .
The trick I learned was to fill the sink with a five pound bag of ice . No water .
Immediately put the crab into the ice after cooking.let them sit for around 20minutes . Remove and put into the fridge for a half hour .
I have found that this pulls the meat away from the shell and when you crack it open you get that large piece of claw meat without it sticking to the shell

2 Likes