What's so special about Sauls in Berkeley

@ernie - you make do with what you gots
If you want to make your mouth water (0 calories) check out kennyandziggys website (Houston) and savor the pictures - I was never there, but sent a former Brazilian employee who raved about the Pastrami.

How did we get from Saul’s to Fu Lam Moon?

2 Likes

Gary the short answer is that traditional American Jews (especially east coast ones) have two ethnic food groups. Jewish deli and Asian food specifically Chinese - its a fact especially on Christmas Day.

There were two threads- one in NJ about SF recs, one in SF about Saul’s. They were merged into this one.

@sck and to confuse further last night my wife bought 4 Dungeness crabs at Costco $4.99/lb

2 Likes

http://essennydeli.com/essenmenu2017.pdf

@bone - Yes - across the street from the satellite location of the pickle guys. That deli has changed hands a few times - this looks like a new menu - near lots of Judiaca stores - will try next time I’m in Brooklyn. And let me test your knowledge. who was ida handwerker (no google cheating) and last time I was in that area there was an old fashioned bialy bakery down the street.

Not a native so I’ve exhausted my account of Avenue J; been to the Pickle Guys on Lower East Side.

Wife of Nathan Handwerker world famous founder of Nathan’s famous (hot dogs) Coney Island. Nathan’s is still around - even after hurricane Sandy. “Coney restaurants” in Detroit area are a Greek copy - while not kosher, Nathan’s still has great Jewish style hot dogs and idas French fries are hard to beat. The Essen deli is quite kosher closed on Shabbos.

2 Likes

The orbit did not extend to Coney Island, so it was either Papaya King or the Umbrella Room (er, Sabrett’s cart).

Orbit ?
Papaya king is still there. Dirty water dogs are less prevelant as Halal food carts have taken over Manhattan — but outside B&H photo is usually a kosher food truck. Carnegie deli is bye bye too

1 Like

However, this custom is currently threatened by the War on Jewish Christmas.

1 Like

Another “Jewish” holiday ruined. Observant Jews have access to Chinese food too - I think shmulke Bernstein no longer in existence invented kosher Chinese food. Last year was special, moo shu after Star Wars :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To add further confusion to this bi-cultural thread, let me point out that Nathan’s used to have chow mein sandwiches.

1 Like

For further reading:

IDENTITY TAKEOUT: HOW AMERICAN JEWS MADE CHINESE FOOD THEIR ETHNIC CUISINE

Safe Treyf: New York Jews and Chinese Food

1 Like

@gary - they still do. It use to be 25 cents and it was the best. The also had a 25 cent BBQ sandwich. That was when steeplechase was still open (before Fred Trump - yes that Trump) demolished it. I had the $4+ chow mein sandwich a few years ago. It was good but looked like puke. There was also something called chow chow cup (not Nathan’s) but an original truck food cuisine. Google for it and you might find a picture of the truck.

1 Like

That paper is excellent !
Thanks.
I have a history of Brooklyn book that also has a chapter about Chinese food and Jews.

1 Like

It is generally a poor idea to travel to another region, then eat your home region’s food.

I do that only after a few weeks of travelling desperate for a whiff of home, or ready for a laugh.

Driving from Los Gatos to Berkeley for Saul’s… I hope you register your displeasure to whoever recommended THAT idea.

2 Likes

Brian - I wanted to also see the university - and why people speak so highly of Berkley. No I will not insult the person who recommended Sauls. I wanted to taste with my own buds the San Fran interpretation of Pastrami. Imho nothing compared to the melt in your mouth 2nd ave deli or Mill Basin deli versions.

I live just a few blocks from Saul’s and, believe me, it is a problem. I WANT to love Saul’s mostly because it’s the closest thing to a deli, coffee shop, or diner on my side of town. I grew up thinking you could go to a cheap, quick place with table service for any of 3 meals. It’s not “dining out.” It’s eating. Personally, I think Saul’s is decent for breakfast but I’ve had truly not-good lunches and dinners too many times, for way too much money. Think cold food, dry meat, tasteless soup. Great concept, sketchy execution.

What I wish was that Bette’s Ocean View was closer and served dinner.

1 Like