What's on your mind? (2024)

Anyone play a game called 2048? You push together tiles in a 4x4 square to double - two 2s makes a 4, two 4s an 8, two 8s a 16, etc. up to trying to get two 1024s mashed together to make a 2048.

It’s addictive but I just can’t get farther than a single 1024. Wondering if anyone’s mastered it and has tips/tricks.

1 Like

I know where that is! Morgantown WVa! I stayed in the Marriott there right after it opened. Had to meet someone in the parking lot by the Petco the next day to take delivery of a cat. It was my first outing since major surgery earlier in the year; I got food from the cafe downstairs and took it up to my room. Saw all those other restos - it’s not surprising because the college stadium is right in the University Town Center complex.

It was a big deal milestone for me!
Didn’t take a photo of breakfast - it was made to order and absolutely fine - they don’t have a breakfast bar, which to me was a plus.

4 Likes

How far away was the nearest Waffle House?
:wink:

1 Like

Ha ha! It was a give or take 4 hour drive from Baltimore straight through all of Western Maryland - I saw a lot of beautiful scenery (it’s better going than coming back) but nary a Waffle House. I’ve still never seen one. :cry:

2 Likes

I like this place in Morgantown WV! :slightly_smiling_face:http://ironhorsetvrn.com/

We avoid chains, if we can, when we can :smile:

Iron Horse Tavern on IG

1 Like

Is tomorrow’s eclipse on anybody’s mind? The creative server who packs our Sunday AM breakfast sandwiches comes up with a bagel-themed sketch each time we order.

10 Likes

That’s pretty fantastic

1 Like

My current situation (I know you weren’t asking me :rofl:)

2 Likes

We’ve been collecting photos of her impromptu sketches. They’re sweet. I need to think of compiling them into a design and printing them on something fun for her, maybe a tote or such.

3 Likes

What a great idea!

1 Like

I’ve only been to Morgantown twice. Both times to pick up cats. The first time I did the round trip in a day, with only one pit stop. Those road warrior days are over …but if I ever go back - your recommendation has been duly noted and filed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Both cats are presently watching me type this.

2 Likes

At a minimum, 20 miles. I’m a native Marylander, but I don’t think I’ve been anywhere near Harford County in 30 years, at least. I met an old colleague in Frederick 5 yrs ago for lunch; I see there are Waffle Houses near Frederick and Hagerstown; those are 1 to 2 hour drives. Don’t know why there aren’t any closer.

2 Likes

My friends are in Buffalo for the eclipse, up from DC. They’ve reported back on these 2 spots so far.
:slight_smile: :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I flew to Kelowna and drove to Penticton to pick up one dog, and I drove from London to Gatineau, Quebec, across the river from Ottawa, to pick up 2 more dogs! I get it! :rofl:

I haven’t stayed in a hotel since the night before I picked up my 2 dogs in Gatineau in Oct 2022.

McDs jalapeno egg McMuffin on the drive to Ottawa, ridiculously salty take-out veal Parm and salad in my Ottawa hotel room the night before picking the dogs up, fruit from Farm Boy grocery store the next morning to flush out the salt before I picked the dogs up, McD’s Filet o’Fish somewhere on Highway 7 on the way back, and pit stops at Starbucks all the way back to LondonOn.

3 Likes

Overpriced hotel room in Niagara Falls? Check. Eclipse glasses. Check. Overcast skies? I can hear the screaming from here.

5 Likes

I feel positively terrible for those (chasers, enthusiasts, etc.) who booked their $$$$ hotel rooms many years in advance, and who might see squat.

We have 96% coverage, but also 85% clouds, so… it won’t be very exciting around here, but at least I didn’t waste any money or time on it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And that’s a huge swath of the totality path!

My sister went to their cabin in Maine on Saturday, and drove an hour north this morning. She’s on the edge of Mooselookmeguntic Lake. She’ll have a great view of totality!

6 Likes

Yay! No such luck here. It’ll just get weirdly dark around 3pm I guess :woman_shrugging:

She tried to get me to drive up yesterday (and I heard there were traffic jams galore) and then leave Tuesday morning. Nope. I can’t even imagine what the traffic will be like getting out of VT, NH, and ME later this afternoon. Anyone who didn’t plan to stay overnight on Monday could be in their cars for 10+ hours. :open_mouth:

We’ll have about 93.8% totality at my workplace, according to NASA.

5 Likes

Hang in there. Rooting for some clearing for you, and if not, a great experience anyway.

We have light cloud cover in nyc, but it was similar in 2017, and we still had a pretty spectacular experience. The clouds clear for a bit, then they come back over, and it’s all still beautiful.

Here’s a photo I took in 2017 through the cloud cover:

Sending good vibes your way!

3 Likes