What's on your mind? (2024)

3 Likes

I’m wondering why there were carolers on my street at 9:00 this morning. I was thinking I was having audio hallucinations (but I don’t think carols were lying on the top of my subconscious). It was getting closer\louder, so I had to look myself. Yep, 8 or 10 carolers dressed in their Victorian finest with two cops on horses keeping an eye on them. They performed for about 30 minutes. Did I just wake up from a 9-month coma?
:thinking: :thinking: :woman_shrugging: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

5 Likes

It must be a sign. :rofl:

That I should stay in bed under the covers unti Dec. 26?

2 Likes

A local drummer recently suggested some of us musicians get together and carol at each house that hasn’t had its xmas lights removed… maybe something like that? :smile:

Could be–they were using recorded music, so maybe it’s a local choral group.

BTW, the house 2 yards down from me had their Christmas tree in their window and just turned it off last week. The house across the street is still lighting their front windows; but they did take away the big plastic nativity in preparation for a wind storm in January.

1 Like

We keep the lights on our dogwood all year round. It looks pretty :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Bet they’re not red, green and white? Maybe my neighbors are Italian . … they’ve only been here 3 or 4 years, so I haven’t had a chance to meet them yet

2 Likes

Cool white. But we also have blue string lights in the living room facing the front yard. They are also very pretty :smile:

Yes, my neighbors have strings of lights over the top of their deck and it looks very chill. And hey, they just moved in during the pandemic and I do know them–our yards abut and they have kids so I had to let them know the ground rules :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

When we were wee, we were told that the reason there are Christmas lights is so that either 1) Santa will know which homes to visit or 2) Jesus will know that we celebrate his birth. Our neighbors have their lights on year 'round. They apparently can afford the electricity bill.

I thought this story called " They Helped a Family Facing Discrimination 80 Years Ago. Now They’re Being Celebrated." was cool.

5 Likes

I saw that on the news the other day. Very cool indeed.

1 Like

I think Spring has arrived here in the NW Rockies, or maybe it is false Spring? I have heard robins, but not seen them. Somebody has been cleaning out the old robin nests, judging by the debris scattered underneath them. The flickers are starting their pecking on whatever makes the most noise (the metal roof or gutters of our neighbor’s homes) and Canadian geese have been flying over. Yet, the garden is not ready to be explored, the soil is still frozen and snow still covers most of it. Spring is always welcome!

6 Likes

About 18 months ago, I was helping out a neighbor with meals while she was recuperating from an operation. All went fairly well and she is actually doing pretty good.

She has a friend (up the street - older widow) who needed a ride to/from the hospital for an outpatient operation. I was approached and said “Sure, glad to help”.

Apparently things didn’t go as planned and the doctor was somewhat hesitant to release her (we’ll call her neighbor #2). The doctor wanted to make sure “neighbor #2” had some form of support/care. I didn’t want this woman to have to go into a care facility, so I volunteered. The doctor wanted to make sure she ate and took her post surgery medications (with food). Also, someone to check on her, etc.

So, I’ve been cooking a breakfast, lunch and dinner for “neighbor #2”, in addition to cooking for Sunshine and I. Time hasn’t been my friend (in regards to posting), but I have been reading and getting ideas from the forum (thank you, all).

I made an experimental chicken meatloaf with a bechamel sauce, which was very much enjoyed by all. I’ve also been cooking some of my traditional recipes.

I did dig out my old “sandwich maker” which makes some pretty tasty “hot pocket” style lunches. Neighbor #2 seems to very much enjoy these home made “hot pockets” creations.

So between this sandwich maker and my panini press, lunches have been covered.

14 Likes

Neighbor #1, Neighbor #2, and Sunshine are lucky to have you!

10 Likes

Thanks… I kind of figure if I try to do positive acts, it will come back to me.

And I did receive some really good news during a recent visit to my eye doctor, so there might be something to my theory.

7 Likes

Imagine how much better life would be if everyone had a Desert Dan in their neighborhood. H

9 Likes

I also wanted to add…

I was telling my mother about the situation and my mother knows things are kind of tight (financially). Mom mailed off a check to me to help out and told me to buy some nice foods/ingredients.

I know I want to buy some salmon fillets and maybe a beef roast.

Thanks, Mom!!

10 Likes

So the apple didn’t fall far from the tree :grinning:

5 Likes