What's on your mind? (2024)

Wanderlust.

Kind of like when things that obviously had no caffeine started getting labeled “caffeine-free.”

2 Likes

0% fat water.

Also that!

Zero cholesterol broccoli.

2 Likes

No thanks; I’ll take the regular. :slight_smile:

This one I can sort of understand, given how many products makers are artificially loading with caffeine. Maybe it helps consumers make a quicker decision without having to read the label.

OTOH, I’m sure those who do carefully read labels are a minority of shoppers/consumers.

1 Like

Fuck google to the moon. I’ve been trying to verify my small business unsuccessfully forever, and the latest attempt with a video call didn’t work out either. Call was dropped. Gotta do it allllllllll again.

Livid.

2 Likes

Besides the 3 listed in the one-box (WY/MT/AR), are there others where a lot of residents wrongly think they’re Midwesterners?

(Article paywalled, for me at least)

1 Like

Most of the traditional food in Montana, Wyoming and the Prairies tastes and looks more Midwestern than Western imo.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Montanan husband adds, “Montana is two states. The Rocky Mountain state and The Plains.”

6 Likes

Above was about 4 weeks ago. He’s still improving and has been to 2 training classes so far. I’m not learning a whole lot in the classes except the trainer’s technique to get the dogs to walk with a loose leash seems it would be better than mine, except this pup isn’t very treat motivated.

He’s still a very aggressive chewer and we’ve been buying Kevlar-reinforced “toughest you can get” chew toys which last him about 24 hours.

The trainer suggested “extra large” elk antler chews as the best for super aggressive chewers and last a long time. Yeah, right. Six (6) hours and he had it broken into splinters.

These things are $20-$25 each - why so expensive? Maybe they’re harder to come by than I think they’d be.

He still slips up about once a week - 10 days and finds a pair of shoes or soccer cleats to eat, especially on rainy days when my old dog doesn’t want to be outside. The new pup is still taking cues from, and deferent to, old dog, but that won’t last more than another 2-3 months based on my prior experience of dog pairs. Anyway we have a lot of old shoes kept in cubbies for when we go kayaking and what not. Higher value stuff we’ve got secured away outside of the dogs’ permitted roaming zone.

Or so I thought.

This is (was) one of my favorite hats. I’ve got at least 2 of these from each Florida RJ location that sells them with the badge and bill front (in small lettering) denoting the RJ (Disney apparently won’t let RJ make “RJ - Disney” location apparel). And they don’t seem to make them anymore (just ugly black ones). My other Key West RJ hat itself is also is pretty ugly after using it for 12 years mowing.

I took out the trash and recycle bins, being gone not more than about 3 minutes, stupidly forgetting the hat hanging on the back of my chair.

4 Likes

Thanks much. Probably the most interesting thing, to me, is that fewer than 80% of The Worthless Nuts recognize that they are a Midwestern state. Followed by 20% of Keystoners thinking that they are MW, then so many (60% or more) in OK thinking they are. Very strange.

And FWIW, although intellectually I know the Daks are counted as Midwestern, in my gut they’ll always be Plains states.

ETA - Google’s up top summary box “from sources around the web” actually has the Daks, KS, MN, IA, NE in BOTH regions. Not that the summary box is right all the time, but checking wikipedia, I see it splits a lot of states in half like @pilgrim mentions.

1 Like

https://lamont.columbia.edu/news/100th-meridian-where-great-plains-begin-may-be-shifting

1 Like

We won’t start in about NorCal and SoCal… :laughing:

4 Likes

In the view of folks up here, northern California is south to about Redding, Chico and Eureka or so.
Below that is evil California. :wink:

3 Likes

Or is it the country of Oregon sprawls to Redding, and then we have Northern California that starts at the Bay Area, with southern Ca starting about San Luis Obispo? lol

3 Likes

While I don’t agree, I certainly understand.

1 Like

Then we have the complication of west of the Coast Range vs inland.

1 Like