What's New near Asbury?

We’re making our annual pilgrimage to Ocean Grove, and know that Covid, etc. has closed a lot of places. We’re adventurous editors from Boston, looking for delicious food and fun atmosphere. We’ll have an unvaxed child with us for part of the time, and given Delta, we’ll probably do a bunch of takeout. Prefer non-ethnic places, since we are blessed with plenty of that in our area. Love Southern/cajun, Eastern European, “mom and pop places”, “dives and joints”(if the food is stellar and it’s reasonably clean). Adults may make a drive as far north as Keyport, and as far south as Point Pleasant for really exceptional food. But mostly we’ll be in the Asbury/Bradley/Belmar/ area. Anything in this area inland?

Any other HO posters you trust for this area?

1 Like

I’ll leave it to the asbury experts on the board to give their advice, but if you want pizza you have some excellent spots nearby in Vics Bradley beach, Pete and eldas in Neptune, and talulahs in asbury. Also Jimmy’s in asbury is a classic for an old school table cloth, red sauce joint but might not be most kid friendly spot.
If you’re going to keyport, Drew’s is Cajun spot and universal praise is found for his food.
There’s a cpl southern spots non asbury that I’m sure the experts here will come up with soon as well

1 Like

HUGE + 1 for Jimmy’s !!! Old school Italian at it’s best!! Same goes for Drew’s!

3 Likes

Simply Southern in Belmar

+1 for Drews (and you can do takeout from there if you want)
Also:
-if you appreciate Indian food, Aarzu in Freehold is a DON’T MISS
-Medusa and Talula’s in AP for Neapolitan style pizzas
-Ada’s Gojjo for Ethiopian in AP
-Nicholas Creamery for ice cream
-Sami’s mediterranean street food in AP
-Berg’s Smoked Meats Montreal style meat + poutine (Delivery ONLY)
-Jersey shore BBQ and/or Local Smoke

2 Likes

Have you tried them yet? I was debating getting them to cater a lunch in a couple weeks. Those sandwiches look DELICIOUS.

@leg - love Reyla’s in AP and if you want to drive up a little Semolina in Red Bank. You can eat outside too.

1 Like

I can’t believe it, but I haven’t tried Berg’ yet – the people I know who have are raving about it!

I should also add that if you want to have one spectacular meal out (and they do have outdoor seating), go to Il Nido in Marlboro. Still one of the best meals I’ve had in six years of living here! Heirloom Kitchen is one of the others.

2 Likes

I’m going to keep thinking of things… Technically in Neptune, but literally a few blocks behind the Bradley Beach train station is Cat’s Luck, which is a vegan bakery. I’m not vegan, but she’s a damn good baker! i’m especially fond of her cookies and if she has them, the pistachio/big bar.s And it’s all to go.

1 Like

What’s the name of the bar/restaurant in Neptune City that was serving some good food? I know I went twice(?) and liked it but for the life of me can’t remember the name. I’m asking you because I’m pretty sure it was your recommendation that made me try it.

Grand tavern?

2 Likes

A big +1 for Jimmy’s - one of the best old school Italian joints around. Their pizza is pretty good too, but get veal parm or chicken scarp.

It’s hard not to love Mogo at the best of times, and if you download their app, ordering and pickup are fast and easy. https://eatmogo.com/

I’m sure you’ve already eaten at https://www.burbelmaiers.com/ but they remain a standout takeout spot in OG.

1 Like

@NotJrvedivici Highly likely it’s Grand Tavern, but I didn’t mention it here, partially because it’s not new, and partially because it’s really not food I’d want to take out…

@CurlzNJ I completely missed how the OP was looking for NEW restaurants ha! You have superior reading comprehension skills!

1 Like

I re-read the original post and didn’t see anything about new.

The title of the thread is; “What’s New Near Asbury ?”

2 Likes

And I still didn’t stick to it 100%

1 Like

Also DUH… Los Barbaros Birria on Main Dtreet is new! And as of today, there’s a new Brazilian food truck at North East, which is on the north end of the AP boardwalk. I haven’t tried it yet.

Also meant to add that you’ll find mention of most/all of these places on here if you do a search.

2 Likes

Op was also looking for NON ethnic

Oh Mr show off. We get it! You can read!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Lol, but I too had to re-read it a few times

3 Likes