What's good at The National, Manhattan or Greenwich?

We will be meeting friends from out of town at Zakarian’s The National in Manhattan. Looking forward, but wondering what stands out on the menu. There is one in Greenwich, CT., too. Comments from either would be helpful. Thanks…

The National's (Greenwich CT) "Ugly Burger" is a Beautiful Thing. There are a few other mentions of the one in Greenwich on the NY/CT board.

Thanks, Gwenn…

We were a table of 10 for brunch at 11 a.m. The National Bar and Dining Rooms is located in the boutique Benjamin Hotel and it was already humming with guests when we sat down. The bar glistened. Pleasant subtle light toned walls and understated art, windows faced out onto bustling Lexington Ave. The brunch menu is a la carte. I began with a Bloody Mary that was quite tasty, had a kick to it. The bread service was placed on the table in covered baskets, still warm. And it was delicious! Would love to know where the bread comes from, or whether they bake it themselves. The table ordered a round of pancakes and omelets, but I went for the ‘Ugly Burger’ with fresh made relish, and supplementary bacon and fried egg on top. I had heard about that one from jfood on the West/Fair board. It was served with a jar of fries and a pepper remoulade on the side… The burger was delish! The fries a bit limp, but ok.
Will give The National in Greenwich a try just to make a comparison, probably for lunch or dinner…
Caveat: The dining rooms were busy and at times it seemed they were a bit understaffed.

1 Like