What's For Lunch Houston - 2018

Replying or stalking? Seriously there’s only a handful of us so what do they expect?

Met some vacationing family at Sushipop, I-10 at Bunker Hill, because they wanted a place to be “alone.” We were a good bit alone too. I remember when it opened, people were excited about it. It was pretty good, but I don’t know that it’s much cheaper than a regular sushi joint. This build a bowl with 2 proteins was $11 and had spicy tuna, spicy salmon, avocado, sweet corn, masago, seaweed salad, green onion, jalapeno mayo over brown rice. Lots of different options for this bowl.

Sushipop

1 Like

I went to two places that I’ve had my eye on for some time. First, I had lunch at Mia’s Table, which is a family, counter order restaurant in the Carrabba complex on Kirby, which includes Grace’s and the original Carrabba’s. They share a four story garage, which is free and nice. I had the patty melt which, despite the photo, was really good, with tender and juicy ground beef, swiss cheese, grilled onions and butter grilled white bread. While I prefer the traditional rye bread, this was a very good version. The restaurant inside was completely full of working folks in dockers and suits, and so we reluctantly went outside to a vast, covered and fanned patio which was entirely tolerable it turns out. Popular place. It’s a family restaurant (its own advert) and there were a lot of kids on a weekday, I’m sure there are plenty more at night and on weekends. Free ice cream for everyone.

Later I stopped by La Argentina Gelato, the tiny location on Wilcrest. There’s a large location in Katy. I picked up some prepacked dulce de leche and pistachio and took them home to sample. They are both wonderful, but the dulce de leche is amazing in taste and texture, so creamy. The store doesn’t have near the options of the Katy store and though I had some questions, the lone server did not understand my first so I just went with this order.

1 Like

Another pizza place - Pi Pizza, on Waugh? s. of I-10. Started as a truck and got a lot of press for the creative (?) pies then built a brick-and-mortar. I was never very intrigued by the offerings. Anybody been? I just came across the fact the guy who started it left to building at the first of the year!

ETA: the website

Haven’t to been Pi Pizza and not planning on it until someone takes another one for our tiny team. I’ll go to Romano’s on West Gray if I’m in that neck of the woods.

I did go to Antonio’s Flying Pizza on Hillcroft the other day before they fold up the business for good. I have no hard evidence of their demise other than the fact that almost all my favorites are gone.

They could be gone in six minutes or six months.

The pizza was as good as always.

I opened with one of their crisp rolls with real butter and demolished half of a 1/2 cheese 1/2 Italian sausage14 inch pizza concentrating on the cheese portion which I like to eat fresh.

There is a possibility some chianti was involved.

Ah, Romano’s. Haven’t been in a few years. There was a time for a while when that was the only pizza joint I patronized, partly because you can get it by the slice and partly because I’m partial to very thin crusts. Certainly wasn’t because it was convenient to me.

But I do have fond memories of Antonio’s before that. A place by the same name, I presume related, lasted only a few months down in Stafford. I made it in only once. It was huge compared to the original. Can’t remember what it is now.

1 Like

I really need to get to Antonio’s, you are making me nervous. Is it busy when you visit?

The Pi Guy was on the What’s Eric Eating podcast recently (Eric Sandler). He’s taking over a food truck at Ladybird’s bar, whatever that is. Those Pi-es were pricey.

1 Like

well I might be interested in the new place. I guess I’m just a stick-in-the-mud/traditionalist with regard to Pi-s.

I went on a Tuesday at noon and it was less than half full.

1 Like

We went for lunch last Saturday. I couldn’t resist the fried oysters of course and the Wifeacita got fried shrimp and catfish and we also had onion rings.

Unfortunately the breading on everything fried was too heavy handed and yelp photos bear this out. I liked the catfish ok.

Next visit will be a burger, pulled pork, or the pork chop and they need to be good or it will be our last.

The kid factor was moderate but I could see it easily getting out of hand.

1 Like

I know this is an old post but I can’t resist.

Do they use real cane sugar in the Diet Dr. Pepper?

1 Like

Nah, only in the DDP that comes from Dublin, Tx. :smile:

1 Like

Yes. They use a sugar-free variety of sugar cane, grown only in Erath Co., developed, of course, by TAMU, famous for developing the heat-free jalapeno :laughing:.

Dublin is not allowed to produce Dr Pepper any more, as of 2012. They do produce other sodas with real sugar (which means, of course, Imperial Pure Cane Sugar!).

Back before face-off with Dr Pepper Snapple, the Dublin 7 oz bottles were available at Spec’s downtown. That was a revelation to me - what Dr Pepper is supposed to taste like, what it tasted like when I was a kid growing up. I’ve drunk diet sodas for so long, the ‘real’ thing doesn’t taste right to me, neither the ones with cane sugar nor the ones with HFCS. I don’t bother to seek out Mexican Coca Cola. But I sometimes do drink cane sugar drinks if I’m trying out something not usually available, as when I was taste testing a lot of ginger beers, birch beers and root beers a half decade or so ago.

2 Likes

Yes, even Imperial Sugar is not in Sugar Land anymore, and not even in Texas. That still makes me mad to think of it. I grew up around the Imperial factory.

2 Likes

Sugar Land proper isn’t even in Sugar Land, it’s that sprawl around 59.

The same is true of Katy, the Katy Prairie has been paved over displacing lord knows how many thousands and thousands of geese and ducks.

1 Like

I just got scolded for responding to somebody named Lambowner so I’m responding to myself, hey lurkers get off your rears, register, respond and we can all be friends. We don’t bite.

1 Like

Are those the ones they use at Whataburger?

I was impressed with this Spanish octopus at the I-10 @ BW8 Pappadeaux location today. There are currently 3 options for the pulpo at this location, which tests new things for the chain. The next door Pappasito’s is also a test location.

This appetizer was wonderful, topped with Spanish olive oil, lemon juice, hazel nuts, paprika and herbs, served on a bed of potato purée. The octopus was super tender and flavorful.

1 Like

That ain’t yer granma’s and granpa’s Pappadeaux!

Dang. That looks good.

1 Like

Oh no, Mr. Bill - I mean, Mr. JC — Whataburger wouldn’t do that to their fellow Texans, would they???

I haven’t had a Whataburger with or without jalapenos since about June, 2005, so I cannot offer any authoritative assessment. But best as I remember, the jalapenos way back then had some heat (and some crunch).