What's For Lunch Houston - 2018

(Red chile) Oil Splash(ed) Lanzhou style hand-pulled lamen with beef. This is available with pork but according to Wiki, the beef dish is a signature dish of Lanzhou. There are 10 variations of noodles offered on the menu, only the two widest flat noodles are available with this dry dish. This is Erkuan, the less wide variety of the two. The beef slices were cold. The menu card suggests there will be flour (“about 300g”), 10-12 pieces of beef, 3-5 pieces of daikon, cilantro and leek. I didn’t detect any daikon or leek but I most definitely had baby bok choy. There’s about 2 tablespoons of broth in the bottom of the bowl.

As with the noodles at Kuen, these held their heat for a long time and the beef down in the bowl got warmed up a bit.

The menu is very simple (pictures online). The chile oil on the table was not as flavorful as that applied in the kitchen. There is also soy sauce, sriracha and salt.

Sit towards the middle or right side of the restaurant if you want to watch the noodle making. I could hear the loud cracks as he slapped the dough against the table to flatten it but not till he moved over into the left corner of the window could I see the pulling going on. It’s all over in seconds.

Interesting. I found the wide, slippery noodles very difficult to deal with and pull out of the big clump in the bowl with the chopsticks but I made it through. But next time, I’ll try one of the soup dishes.

Niu Yi Zui Lamen, 9866 Bellaire (back in the corner)

I sat next to the window because of the problems with the flash on my camera and I got shadows, which I can’t do anything about.

2 Likes

Damn Bruce! Awesome post. I think you need to start a food guide service in h town. Lol. Great post…thanks buddy. I really need to get down there and see what you guys have to offer. It’s a toss up between the H and n’orleans. I always thought of your city as BBQ and did not realize the diversity. You guys are doing it right down there. Maybe I can get a cheap southwest ticket and come chow down!

@Lambowner killer posts too. You guys are making me really jealous lol

2 Likes

There’s never any doubt when it’s crawfish season in Houston. Danton’s has a whole menu.

2 Likes

Well, I spoke too soon. Pinkerton’s showed up at the Houston BBQ festival with:

Smoked shoulder clod on a bolillo bun with Asian slaw & homemade spicy mayo and bread pudding with smoked cream cheese icing & wild blueberry reduction

Scroll about half way down on this post to see a pic.

Is this meant as a PS to your BBQ post?

I think Bruce was replying to this question from above.

Good lord. That was quite a nice read. I’m starving now lol. Who compiled all those pics? I’m sorry if I missed it. I was drooling the entire time and probably missed it. I can’t believe how many types of dishes they put out.

1 Like

Guess I missed this. The blogger’s name is Jimmy Ho apparently.

Stopped by San San Tofu this week. Haven’t been in a couple of years I guess but have been going for years to pick up some vegetarian fare prepared according to strict Buddhist guidelines so I understand.

There appears to have been a change of ownership; more of the space devoted to groceries has been given over to the steam table restaurant portion which has been spiffed up a bit. The steam table extends a lot longer than it did. Signage has improved and there’s a space apparently devoted to vegetarian banh mi preparations. Unfortunately it seemed to me the food has gone downhill a bit.

Mock Xiu Mai and Cha Gio plus a complementary cup of soup. There was what I first thought was mock chicken in the soup but later determined it was tofu not pretending to be anything other than tofu (or maybe there was both). The dim sum was okay. I usually get a about 3 times as many pieces but there wasn’t much to pick from. The chili paste was very bland.

You used to have a choice of a noodle or rice main, the choice now is white rice or brown rice. I tried the noodle offering too; very thin, narrow noodles with lots of vegetables but not much flavor. The best looking thing, and best thing I got, was the mock sweet and sour beef.

Stopped by Bollo Wood Fired Pizza today, Alabama @ Greenbrier. I went for the Linguine Carbonara. Not bad. Chock full of pancetta and crimini with a garlic cream. I liked the pasta but the dish was too dry and the pasta clung together in clumps. I guess it need a little pasta water added??

Forgot my camera. Took a pic with my smart phone which probably will not be very good but so far I haven’t been able to remember how to get a pic from my smart phone to my computer.

Bollo

I’ve got another pizza place over in that area on my list to try, but I so rarely eat pizza anymore and generally save it for the Four Seasons pizza at Mascalzone. However, Luna has gotten lots of accolades here and other places.

By the by, the original Pizaro’s on Memorial is moving to the I-10 Freeway between Wilcrest and Kirkwood, snuggled between Subway and Robert’s Carpet and Fine Flooring. While picking up a six inch tuna on white with jalapenos, I noticed they have applied for a beer and wine permit, which I think will help them. If I go there again, I’ll order a salad and enjoy it before returning to order a pizza. Otherwise, by the time you carry your salad to a table, get a drink from the fountain and stab a plastic fork into the salad, the pizza has arrived. They bake for 90 seconds, which I think is 10-20 seconds too short.

As far as phone pics, I often write on my computer then log in on my phone to click the little edit pencil and upload pics from my phone (within an hour). Typing or dictating this much on the phone is too annoying.

I tried Izakaya Wa off Memorial in that cute little house-like restaurant tucked behind a shopping center. The lunch specials were well priced and plentiful. Someone yells “NAMASTE!” everytime someone walks in. I’ll definitely be back for lunch.

1 Like

more, More, MORE!

What did you have? Others in the party? How crowded? It’s been there a few years now, but I haven’t made it yet either. (I have been to earlier establishments in that building, however.)

I clicked your link but they don’t have many pictures of the food. I don’t like the looks of the pork cutlet curry however. I like gravy on my CFS, but that dish just looks soggy. Some of the skewers look great but some of them would leave me disappointed upon presentation. They might be great however - I’ve been pleasantly surprised many many times.

Anyway, I’d love to hear more. How was the tea? :wink:

Today I had the ever popular #4.

I had the hand roll lunch special that comes with soup and salad. Tasty spicy tuna and salmon. My bff had a sushi combo “all cooked.” She’s my bff so I accept the flaws. To say she is not an adventurous eater is an understatement. :grin:

They do have a varied menu for a sushi joint. And the tea tastes like wine. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, I’ve been numerous times, though most times for take-out. It’s currently my fav pizza place; love the sour dough crust and the andouille and peppers pizza. Salads are good. I want to get up to the one in the Heights someday; the one on Richmond is kinda cramped.

I didn’t get a good look at any pizza at Bollo. Place was very empty for just after 1 pm.

1 Like

Another pizza place I’ve been wanting to try for sometime is Solario, on Weslayan, on the west side of the Costco there. The lunch prix fixe special looks like a good deal.

I also want to try that new Sicilian bakery down on lower Westheimer. It’s not on the website but according to the picture gallery on Yelp, they have a daily blackboard menu of Sicilian dishes besides pastries, etc.

1 Like

With the official pronouncements of the weather sages that the cool nights are history for now, I was thinking a few days ago I might not be going for ramen until August or so. But nooooooo…

Tameshi’s Menn - shrimp broth, shrimp skewer, chashu (pork), fried onions, scallions, soft boiled egg

I was a little hesitant, thinking I wasn’t very hungry and maybe should get a simpler bowl, but when the aroma of this hit my nose my appetite woke up. The noodles were a bit larger and firmer than what I had at Samurai (although the noodles kept cooking and got a little soft toward the end). I saw nothing on the menu about the noodles being produced in house but I liked the firmness. The soft boiled egg is really a superior addition. The chashu was undoubtedly tenderloin and fell apart in the chopsticks. The bitterness of some of the charcoalized onions got to be a bit much but this was an awesome bowl. I think I’ll be coming back here before I go back to Samurai.

There is apparently no website so here’s the listing - Tameshi Ramen and Sushi, 1106 Silber, in a strip center in front of the Walmart just north of I-10. Small, dark room. Only 2 tables were occupied when I arrived at 5 pm but there was a sheet of paper taped to the window for a wait list.

Sorry for the blurry pic. My camera kept flashing a warning that flash was needed but I couldn’t get the flash to fire. There are better pics in the Yelp gallery.

ETA: I mispelled the name of the dish and restaurant - it’s Tamashi. I’ll go sit facing the corner now.

2 Likes

Surely you jest! August and September being the most hellish months in Houston! I’ll be waiting until January, barring some overpowering craving. And that right there is a start! The way the eggs are cooked in ramen is amazing. Recently watched the movie Tampopo on TCM. It actually took me three viewings because … subtitles, and my attention span is short. Odd little film much loved by foodies.

New Bimimbap at PF Chang’s. Meh, chicken was dry and the dish is bland overall.