What's for low carb breakfast, lunch or dinner?

These were known as oopsie rolls back in the old days of low-carbing (and probably still are on dedicated low-carb forums, etc.). They are nothing like bread, but they are a decent surface for sandwiches if you are really craving one.

Last night was my DHā€™s new favorite thing - spicy crispy beef with crispy tofu. I just throw ground beef into a screaming hot cast iron skillet and cook it until it renders all of its fat/moisture, then let the little bits get REALLY crispy. Meanwhile, I dice up whatever vegetables I have around (last night was broccoli stems, onion and red pepper) and cook those in a separate skillet. Add a pile of minced garlic, ginger and fresh jalapenos to that and saute briefly, then add it to the beef. Finally, fry slices of tofu in peanut oil until crisp, break into chunks and mix with everything else. Sauce with just enough soy, Sriracha, black bean sauce and sambal oelek to get everything lightly moistened.

Tonight Iā€™m making meatloaf, seasoning TBD. I need to stop at the grocery store for eggs and pork rinds to bind it, so weā€™ll see if something out of the ordinary strikes my fancy!

1 Like

I just tried some, ā€œOld Time 647ā€ sliced bread made by Schmidt. 6g net carbs, 7g fiber & 40 calories per slice. Comes in white or wheat flavor. I got the white & it was pretty good, especially when toasted and used to make a sausage & egg sandwich.

18 oz loaf (about a foot long) $3.99 at Shoprite, regular bread isle.

Going to toast some tomorrow for hot thin sliced open face roast beef sandwiches. To keep the carb count down, cooking an eye roast for the beef and making fresh gravy from stock that was made with dry age beef bark scraps & a 12 hr simmer/reduction.

2-egg scramble with diced up spicy andouille (this oneā€™s got a really nice kick to it), red bell pepper & urfa pepper on top.

Had a nice lunch from a local sushi place today, didnā€™t miss the rice at all! They have a lovely broth-based seafood soup that is packed with perfectly poached salmon, scallops and shrimp, made spicy with a good hit of shichimi togarashi. Then a grilled seafood kebab, some steamed broccoli with spicy mayo and a tuna ā€œdumplingā€ (thin sliced tuna wrapped around a mixture of crab, avocado and seaweed salad) as a main course. Excellent!

1 Like

Back in the old Atkins days, a lot of folks doing that diet used fried pork rinds (one brand was apparently wider and flatter) to make faux French toast. A tip for syrup, if youā€™re into using artificially sweetened stuff; add some natural maple extract to the anemic sugar free maple syrup for something suprisingly close to the real thing.

For breakfast, it can be easier to make very low carb muffins or a square bake to cut into portions out of omelette/frittata ingredients. I used to do this for my husband til he got bored, typically with diced ham, onion and shredded cheddar or jack cheese. Underbaked slightly so microwaving on low the next days wouldnā€™t make it dry.

I made Jamie Oliverā€™s Chicken Korma this weekend and it was delicious -
homemad curry paste from toasted cumin and coriander seeds, garam masala, ginger, garlic, olive oil, tomato paste, unsweetened coconut and almonds, then the main dish with sliced onions, ginger, cilantro, chicken thighs, more coconut, more almonds butter and coconut milk. Didnā€™t even need rice. I added some lentils, but it was an addition. Layers of flavor, paleo friendly.

1 Like

Just thought Iā€™d bump this up to the top since there has been some renewed interest in low carb cooking! After a weekend of pizza and takeout (we moved my stepdaughter in with us, which required a 14-hour haul in a 16ā€™ moving truck), I was feeling the need for a solid low-carb dinner last night. BISO chicken thighs roasted on top of sliced onions and fennel until everything was brown and crispy, with parmesan roasted Brussels sprouts alongside. Fall is finally in the air so I anticipate a good number of roasted meals going forward.

2 Likes

Lazy dinner tonight - leftover sprouts and some really tasty all-beef kielbasa-style sausages I found at Costco a few weeks ago. Unlike many sausages, these one have one gram of carbohydrate per large link, so no carb creep.

I had a wedge salad and some fried calamari. Funny I was doing low carb for the past year, I took a hiatus for the past month and am having the hardest time getting back to it.

Tonight was a big beefy slab of grilled skirt steak and zucchini sauteed until it had crispy edges with oodles of garlic.

Last night was a couple of rainbow trout a neighbor caught only hours earlier stuffed with lemon slices, butter and dill. Whole roasted carrots and quickly sauteed snow peas on the side.

Pollo a la brasa tomorrow night. Yum!w

1 Like

That zucchini sounds delicious - I will have to remember to pick some up this weekend! Tonight Iā€™m doing something with pork tenderloin - I took a 2-pack out of the freezer this morning. Maybe a rub and sear/roast, or I could do cutlets in a quick marinade. We inherited my parentsā€™ grill over the weekend so perhaps Iā€™ll give the grill its virgin voyage in its new home! I have haricots verts that need using in the fridge, so Iā€™ll saute those for a side - probably with bacon, garlic and Sriracha depending on the flavor profile of the pork.

It can be tough. Carbs/sugar are an addiction and when you go back to them, you have to break that addiction all over again. I have definitely been struggling this week after a long weekend of pizza, pizza and more pizza. Fatty meats and a couple of squares of 85% chocolate really help when the carb cravings get intense.

2 Likes

Itā€™s 1 C here today :unamused: so I think Iā€™m going to make a chili without beans and maybe eat with some zoodles.

That is definitely chili weather! Iā€™m sure chili will be on our menu soon as well - itā€™s one of my husbandā€™s fall favorites.

1 Like

I have three racks of St. Louis cut spareribs getting ready for the smoker! I rubbed them last night with a mixture of salt, sweetener, instant coffee, cocoa powder, paprika, chile powder, cumin, onion and garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper. 6-7 hours at 225, the first 3-4 hours with cherry wood smoke. Should be delicious! Iā€™ve got a bottle of Stubbā€™s spicy BBQ sauce (only 6g of carbs per serving, which is quite low for a commercial product), and Iā€™ll make another sauce of my own with a red chile base for an even lower-carb, sugar free alternative. Iā€™m thinking a gratin of Brussels sprouts alongside - shredded sprouts, lightly sauteed with garlic and thyme, heavy cream poured over, topped with lots of parmesan, then into the oven until the sprouts are tender, the cream is reduced and the cheese is brown and crispy.

Mapo tofu tonight, served over steamed broccoli. The sauce does have some carbs, but I use about 1/4 the amount of cornstarch most recipes call for, so it ends up being something like 5-6g per serving, very reasonable.

2 Likes

Was in the mood for red meat last night, so I grilled up some flap meat from Costco (simply salted) and served with oven-roasted cherry tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms with roasted garlic, thyme, rosemary and marsala, and a can of green beans for my husband and step-daughter (I cannot abide them canned). Glass of malbec to wash it down. Quite satisfying. Tonight Iā€™ve got chicken defrosting for chicken nuggets (in a pork rind/parmesan coating). Sides TBD.

Seasoned ground beef, shredded iceberg lettuce, grated sharp cheddar cheese, whole fat sour cream, pickled jalapenos.

Mixed grill and a fennel salad tonight. The fennel salad was a bit of a flop - the bulb was large and looked good, but it was pretty bland. The steak and sausages made up for it!

1 Like