What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Happy birthday Mrs. P! You always go to fabulous restaurants.

1 Like

Happy birthday to Mrs. P.! Your dinner looks fantastic!

2 Likes

Sichuan jour fixe with my fellow chili heads, a hungry group of lucky 13 this time. The har gow the owner had promised to make … weren’t. They were bao type buns with a delicious pork & fermented vegetable filling. I’m not big on baos, and I had really been looking forward to har gow :pleading_face:

These were better than other bao I’ve had before, but sadly not an option for the 2 vegans and 1 pesca. Oh, well.

Thank goodness I ordered so many other things to snarf up, namely our reliable standards: garlic cukes, mapo tofu

dry fried green beans

garlic eggplant

chongqing chicken

salt baked shrimp

and a special of steamed fish over bean sprouts. Very mild and umami in flavor, no heat.

Everything was very good except for the beans & cukes. New chef, perhaps :woman_shrugging:

16 Likes

Drink with friends last night after one of my lectures.

Then went home and whipped up some chicken fried rice using an unused quart of white rice from Chinese takeout the night before. No better way to resurrect day-old rice. Small pieces of boneless skinless thighs marinated in light and dark soy, garlic, sesame oil, and some corn starch. Fried until crisp, removed, and in went onions, a half bag of frozen peas, blanched broccoli, more garlic, and the rice. I had bought a pack of “fried rice seasoning” because I was curious. It did not really help (only tasted/smelled ginger) but thankfully did not hurt either.

21 Likes

Thank you @ChristinaM @jetermacaw @ottawaoperadiva and @Amandarama !

A very happy birthday to you as well @ChristinaM !

@Amandarama I wish you a speedy recovery from your recent procedure!

2 Likes

Is that Dill Seed on the Baked Potato?

Made a big ol pan of chicken & rice(Mom’s recipe).
Way too much rice, 2 cups turned in a mountain. Luckily it’s delicious and freezes well.

24 Likes

Linguine with roasted mushrooms, baby kale and lemony garlic cream sauce. Happy Friday everyone!!

26 Likes

That looks fab!

1 Like

It was very tasty, thanks :slight_smile:

YUMMMM!*

*is a complete sentence :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Care to share Mom’s recipe? There are so many ‘chicken and rice’ recipes; what makes her’s so good?

1 Like

Belated happy birthdays to Mrs. @paryzer and @ChristinaM!

3 Likes

Leftover lasagna (always better) and a green salad. Wine. Cupcakes.

22 Likes

Beautiful! You’re cupcakes? Nice!

1 Like

Even though I actually have a TikTok account I barely ever visit the app, so tonight’s “Marry Me chicken” recipe came via the NYT :smiley:

I asked my PIC to make it for us on this first chilly, rainy fall day after two weeks of ridic midsummer temps. We served it over a handful of egg noodz, and I contributed a simple romaine salad with lemon dill vinaigrette.

Like most trendy TikTok recipes, this is not particularly interesting. It rendered far less sauce than anticipated (i.e. we may not have “needed” the egg noodz), and bc PIC used BLSL thighs, it was also pretty greasy. He thought roasted red peppers would’ve made for a more interesting combo. No need for a repeat, and MOS DEF not proposal-worthy. 'TFO with that nonsense :joy:

Salad was very nice, bright & refreshing. More horror flicks on the big screen to follow :ghost:

18 Likes

Simple dinner tonight up at Sis’s cabin in Maine. I made a quick marinade of olive oil, spicy brown mustard, and Penzeys Tuscan Sunset for some b/s chicken that she grilled.

Roasted Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes alongside. Some Louis Jadot Macon-Villages chardonnay as our libation.

Antiquing early tomorrow. And the view from inside her dining room when I got up here.

27 Likes

Nah, hubs purchased.

1 Like

I feel like these always involve heavy cream and sun-dried tomatoes. Pass.

2 Likes

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes