What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Really nice.

Sunshine and I found a bag of sweet potatoes on clearance. She really enjoys sweet potatoes. The problem was… they were very small. So I cleaned, peeled and shredded them into (yet) another casserole. This one had sweet potatoes, hamburger, onions, mushrooms, corn & tomatoes, then topped with a little cheese and crispy french fried onions. In hind sight, I’m wondering if I should have added some tomato paste to the hamburger when I browned it?? Any who, it was Yummy!!

19 Likes

No sugared rim, thankfully!

Another Wednesday, another ladies night. I wasn’t planning on one this week bc last and next were/will be social marathons, but a core member’s birthday was on Monday, so… yeah.

We got together at our usual watering hole, where I ordered an autumn salad with escarole, broccoli, hazelnuts in lemon buttermilk dressing. It was listed, however, like this:

escarole broccoli, hazelnuts in lemon butter
milk dressing

A bit confusing at first, and a little sweet for my taste. No pics cuz we were seated in a dark corner in the back. Fun night with a couple new ladies & a surprise bruise on my right knee this AM :thinking: :grimacing:

Hot pot night was planned for today - with or without a dinner guest - but temps aren’t quite chilly enough. We’ll find a way to use up the ginormous bag of baby bok choy I picked up one way or another :wink:

3 Likes

Send that on over here, please :drooling_face:

1 Like

Mixed Mushroom Japchae using oyster and king oyster mushrooms I picked up in Chinatown the other night.

Gratuitous and unnecessary steak on top (I had some cooked and frozen) that I ended up taking off because it was interfering with the mushroom-y-ness.

Other recent dinners:

HO group meal at Hakka Cuisine:

French food, not once:

But twice:

17 Likes

No effin way was I gonna cook and muss up dishes tonight, so off to the new Vietnamese joint down the street.

Crispy, meaty spring rolls and the B4 vermicelli bowl with grilled pork, sausage and another spring roll. Very tasty and the place was rocking by the time I left.

I’ll be back to try the Pho 🍲

Much needed addition to the neighborhood.

21 Likes

Those spring rolls look amazeballz!

1 Like

Crunchy and meaty, just the way they should be :pinched_fingers: :yum:

4 Likes

Change o’plans. The weather was too nice today to huddle over hot pot, so we decided to grill a couple of swordfish steaks seasoned with a mix of Penzey’s Greek & Lemon Pepper seasonings.

I roasted a couple lbs of broccoli according to the NYT “recipe” minus the garlic. Broc coulda been slightly crispier for my taste, and I found it rather bland, despite using Tony Cacheres instead of just salt, added grated parm on top, and ample squeezes of lemon juice before serving. Lotsa room for improvement and, perhaps not surprisingly, plenty of leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Leftover pizza from the freezer. Mixed greens from the grocery. House vinaigrette.

Easiest dinner, but we’ll both be hungry again in an hour.

18 Likes

Book club meetup at an outdoor beer garden. Great book, great conversation, great Port City Porter, just ok fried chicken banh mi.

6 Likes

I transformed some of the leftover pork stew into soup with garden spinach, smoked paprika, carrots, celery, broken lasagna, chickpeas, and broth. Really tasty although I was left with the same amount of leftovers. My husband calls that “alchemy.”

24 Likes

Duck legs, duck fat roasted potatoes, baked romano beans with tomato, spaghetti squash with maple, ginger and cinnamon.
I made a duck and bacon black-eyed pea cassoulet, as well, with 2 of my 6 duck legs, but the peas were still too firm, so I kept cooking them. Hopefully they’ll soften up.

13 Likes

I was watching A Nation of Banchan which made me want pretty much everything I saw, but I had no banchan at hand, only some old kimchi, leftover ssam sauce, lots of scallions and leftover steak.

So I made almost-bibimbap, but the lack of sufficient toppings left me wanting. So then I went back and sauteed the lot, making effectively kimchi fried rice like I had planned to a few days ago.

Also made steamed egg which was my favorite part of the meal.

How it started:

How it’s going:

And the egg:

20 Likes

Grrrl dinner. Deviled eggs with creme fraiche & caviar. Shrimp cocktail. Okra with tarragon ranch dip. And a Last Word, with a shout-out to @JenKalb for the tiny lime garnish.

19 Likes

really cute dinner! You know, I was gobsmacked to see a display of kaffir limes in my neighborhood foodtown - 5 for $4! How do you prepare those okra?

Super simple. Cut up, put in strainer, sprinkle with water, cornmeal, AP flour, salt and pepper. Shake until coated. Then saute over high heat, preferable in a cast iron, but if you’re too lazy to get it out, a regular old frying pan will do. Don’t stir them around too much - let them char in spots.

4 Likes

Last night’s dinner was Breaded Liver (baked), mashed potatoes with brown gravy and peas. It was easier to bake the liver, as I had heated up the oven to bake some bread.

11 Likes

I see that gravy river running into the peas, but not on the liver. Do you use canned peas or ones from your garden?