What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Is there a point to marinating the salmon in miso for that long? Serious Eats did a recent test about marinades and how little time is actually required for pretty much the same result.

I’ve brushed miso on baked and grilled fish just before cooking with delish results, but wondering now whether a longer marinade would render it… even MOAR delicious.

1 Like

So cute and a great name!

Give those allergy shots time to do their magic. When we adopted our dog, I gradually realized that immunotherapy could likely help my somewhat allergic self. Took a little over a year before my symptoms started to lessen. The dog also has a bath monthly to reduce dander, which agrees with her skin and coat (plus, bonus treats), but guessing that’s probably not suitable with a cat.

The things we do for the love of our pets. Totally worth it.

7 Likes

We’ve lived with Australian Shepherds for just about 25 years. They have long, double coats. I could vacuum two or three times a day and still not have clean floors. They shed twice a year - once from January to June and again from July to December. I literally pick up handfuls of dog hair from corners and under furniture. I found a woman on Etsy who spins yarn from Aussie hair and knits hats, scarves and gloves with it!! As far as I know, neither one of us is allergic to them, though.

7 Likes

Flavor and texture. The others are salmon with a glaze, which is nice, but not the same as the Nobu dish.

I think it was ATK that said 6 to 24 hours was sufficient, but there is a marked difference. Also to the saikyo miso method of evaporating alcohol and dissolving sugar vs just mixing everything together.

I meant to go for 2 or 3, but didn’t feel like eating it then, so 4 it was. Bit firmer than ideal from the extra day, but I was under on miso so not a lost cause.

1 Like

Mrs. P looks fabulous! And the dinner looks delicious too.

3 Likes

WFD folks, here’s a round-up of the current cook-along threads in case you want to join in:

2 Likes

Thank you very much :blush:

2 Likes

Care to share the recipe?

4 Likes

Thanks. Was just looking at recipes for eggplant agebitashi, which has a similar flavor profile and is equally easy. Can’t wait to make this.

1 Like

A friend of mine is obsessed with miso eggplant

Is it me?

2 Likes

BF cooked tonight and I gratefully stayed out of the way. He used the slow cooker to make the Mississippi Pot Roast that has made the rounds of the internet. We also had giant baked potatoes and steamed green beans (microwave from Birds Eye). I’d say for the effort to flavor ratio, this is a pretty good recipe. I did suggest to him that we put the resulting gravy in the defatter before serving (which was a good choice!). Now we have leftovers for a meal or two.

19 Likes

I like her shoes, an important part of any outfit, but the jewelry is outstanding!

4 Likes

I like that recipe a lot, but after making it for the first time never added butter again. Really satisfying and low effort, for sure.

3 Likes

Yeah, I am not sure it needs the butter. But we wanted to try it more or less as written to start. We did sub hot cherry peppers and their brine for the pepperoncini. They mellowed out pretty well over the long cooking time.

2 Likes

A quick freezer/fridge clean out meal:

Rana cheese tortellini with sauteed broccoli florets with minced garlic and fried proscuitto, in a sauce of crushed tomatoes, President garlic and herbs cheese, and white wine. Parm-Reg sprinkled on top.

Wine.

Birthday weekend in Maine was fun. Birthday breakfast was scramblies with cheese and ham, English muffin with one of the 6 Bonne Maman spreads from the Advent calendar I brought up for my sister (this was mango, raspberry and lime…SO good!) and OJ. Cawfee was cawfeed earlier.

A sign I saw in an antique store while trying to buy something. SO TRUE! (Those little buggers!)

Birthday dinner with my sister and BIL at the Millbrook Tavern at the Bethel Inn and Resort was pretty good…braised short ribs with mashed and broccolini. Needed more seasoning, but still tender.

Dessert was an amazing light vanilla cheesecake with a blueberry sauce. Strong presence of vanilla, but not overwhelming. Only 1 glass of wine. :wink:

21 Likes

Steak and cheese panino. Let it come to room temp and slice as thinly as you can before layering with your favorite cheese and maybe some caramelized onions and press between 2 pieces of your favorite buttered firm bread, like a Tuscan Pane.

4 Likes

I usually add a whole jar of sliced banana peppers and pickled jalapeños along with the brine. Adds a nice tartness and kick.

2 Likes

WFD was a casa lingua standby: NYT Trini-Chinese chicken and my PIC’s stir-fried bok choy (which is technically also a NYT recipe, but he has it down to perfection :two_hearts:). Hadn’t had either since we left for Berlin, and it really hit the spot. So simple, yet so satisfying.

Movie night on the big screen again. Gonna make some popcorn, too :blush:

17 Likes