What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

The Proverbial Sh*t ton Of Butter and Sour Cream

@mts

8 Likes

Thank you! Everything is better with love and butter!
EIBWL&B?

5 Likes

It was this recipe from Charlie Trotter’s Home Cooking

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/857888/sauteed-sweet-and-sour-cod

Mix sugar, rice vinegar, jalapeño and soy sauce and simmer 3 minutes, cool down. Once it is cool, put it on the cod filets, sautée them for 3-4 minutes per side
Cook somen noodles (we only had ramen noodles at home) drain them, mix with sesame oil, basil and scallions
Sautée oyster mushroom in butter for 6-7 minutes
Plate noodles, top with mushrooms and fish

3 Likes

Thank you!

??

Another of our regular/quarterly visits to Flour & Water https://www.flourandwater.com/ to go for their pasta tasting menu. As always some dishes remain, some change more seasonally - the new first course wasn’t terrible successful and tasted more like a stale chip. The food was good as always but the service this time was quite indifferent and chaotic, including some issues with wine pairing.

Amuse bouche - cannoli, ricotta, caviar

Pasta chip, cacio e pepe dip, herbs & flowers

Halibut crudo, rose hip, fresno chili, sumac

Corn aracini, ricotta salata, jalapeño, lime

Black truffle sformato, potato crumb, parmigiano crema

Taleggio scarpinocc, parmigiano reggiano, aceto balsamico

Seaweed rigatoni, uni butter, chili, squid ink breadcrumb

Tortellini en brodo

Acorn & iberico agnolotti, pickled garlic scapes

Basil fusi istriani, pork sugo, fava bean ragu, pecorino

Dark chocolate budino, espresso caramel cream, sea salt

16 Likes

It certainly photographs well!

1 Like

Holy shit this might be the best food I’ve laid eyes on in eons. Sounds & looks absolutely stellar :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

Just visit SFO and you can have it yourself

1 Like

I have a brief overnight stay in SF in November. This would be great!

2 Likes

Which hotel are you staying ? Pretty much everything within San Francisco is easily reachable by Uber - just reserve a table at Flour & Water and enjoy their pasta tasting menu

I don’t remember RN. We’re meeting up with @mariacarmen & another CH buddy, so it’s not just up to me. She’s not huge on pasta, and the whole table would have to do the pasta tasting… we’ll see what happens.

3 Likes

BBQ chicken thigh and leg on the grill, romaine salad with lots of veggies on the side.

20 Likes

The Proverbial Shit Ton Of Butter & Sour Cream.

3 Likes

Errands before the expected rain, which was minimal.

Pan-seared b/s chicken breasts, pre-roasted shallots added to the pan, with a sauce of whole grain and Dijon mustard, white wine, honey, s/p and dried tarragon. Finished in a 350° oven until done.

Served on Basmati rice with steamed green beans alongside with toasted almonds.

Wine.

22 Likes

A fairly-successful attempt at crispy chicken cutlets (finally) from a Smitten Kitchen recipe, along with some leftover spaghetti with my favorite jarred sauce (Dave’s Gourmet) and local broccoli.

IMG_3188

21 Likes

A fine lemony fish chowder made with a BC silver salmon filet and garden veg: leeks, potatoes, carrots, peas, bay, and chives.

Loosely based on this epicurious recipe.

20 Likes

Everything Is Better With Love & Butter

3 Likes

My husband harvested a giant chicken of the wood mushroom from our yard. He sauteed it and made pappardelle in our Phillips machine. Topped with toasted hazelnuts and chive oil.

32 Likes

Gotta ask: have you seen the movie Phantom Thread?

I haven’t been able to look at mushrooms the same way since…

2 Likes