What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Japanese inspired dish with Swiss chard (stems and leaves), shiitake, mie noodles, shichimi togarashi, roasted sesame oil and garlic cooked in a mushroom broth-sake mixture. Finished with some garlic chips, roasted sesame seeds, nori and cilantro

18 Likes

I always use the stems and leaves from my greens. It seems so wasteful not to do so. Plus I like the textural variety they add. Your noodles look delicious.

5 Likes

One of the last summery days required a HH visit with friends to the newish brewery. Had two lovely golden ales, and we split some aMAZing lemon-garlic olives that I now need to track down and order. I’m generally not huge on olives for snacking, but these were just fab: super-lemony, meaty, delish.

We then spontaneously invited one of our friends over for dinner. My PIC had marinated lamb chops & ribs for a couple of days, so those went on the grill & I made a salad of FM tomatoes, cuke, red onion & feta to go with.

The ribs weren’t anywhere near as good as the ones we had at the Turkish resto, but I blame the butcher & our lack of a charcoal grill. Soon, baby, soon …

18 Likes

In other words … ramen.

! Pin on Guten morgen lustig

4 Likes

Perhaps not the “right” base (and not as soupy as a regular ramen) but otherwise quite accurate

I keep trying to empty the freezer and someone keeps filling it up again (and blaming me) :woman_facepalming:t2:

So tonight I took out a couple of containers and decided to make dinner from them.

We had one box of leftover biryani that was very underspiced and dry, a box of chicken curry gravy, and a small one of unknown gravy that had been deemed good enough to save.

I took half the chicken lollipops (ie wings) that had been ordered two days back (and frozen :woman_facepalming:t2:), mixed up all the gravies and doctored them later with more aromatics, malvani masala, and desiccated coconut.

The bland biryani was reheated as is, and the new gravy was perfectly spicy to go with.

I also cooked the other half (yep, double order, which had also gone into the freezer :woman_facepalming:t2:) of the chicken lollipops for tomorrow or the next night with chinese seasonings.

Mom opted for a griddled masala cheese toast — filling of Amul cheese, onion, green chilli, and cilantro mixed together. It was pretty delicious — when I tasted the filling I regretted not ordering more bread so we could all have eaten that :joy:

24 Likes

Last night’s dinner was breaded Tilapia, basmati rice and carrots.

16 Likes

I always eye those but haven’t tried one yet – what did you think?

I thought it was lahmacun before I read this :grinning:

1 Like

Lahmacun would be a good application of the technique!

I was thinking something more pizza-ish: replace the ground meat with Italian sausage, and after flipping, drizzle with sauce of choice and a little cheese. No folding required.

I kinda torched the ones I made last night - the blackened shells were very crispy. Next time I fool around with this, I think I will reduce the heat on the grill/griddle from “scorching” to merely “very hot”.

2 Likes

Actually when you said that it struck me that TJs makes small taco-size flour tortillas that are a bit thicker, that would be perfect for a quick lahmacun (I mean you still have to make the meat mixture…)

2 Likes

Stir fried shrimp/pork dumplings/romaine/kimchi/red onions in a spicy, Asian-y mystery goo I found in the freezer with lots of fresh ginger and chili crisp. Toasted sesame seeds on top.

18 Likes

Grilled fatty heritage pork rib chop. Roasted FM leggy broccolini and carrots. Salt the only seasoning on all of it. Entirely delicious.

20 Likes

No pics tonight…ate too fast. DH out, so son and I ordered Yas chicken sandwiches. It is a local chain that we like. OG for me and a Yasville hot for him. We split the fries. A good crunch on the chicken, homemade slaw and pickles. Hit the spot.

11 Likes

You know how you get a recipe idea in your mind and just can’t shake it loose? That was dinner tonight. Italian sausage stuffed eggplant. Roasted eggplant halves, pulp scooped out. Sautéed hot Italian sausage, drained, chopped onion added until tender, red pepper flakes, garlic and red wine. Then added Parmesan, Italian breadcrumbs , eggplant to bind. And plenty of fresh chopped parsley.:slightly_smiling_face: I really wanted to stay away from tomato sauce but there was no way around it… Was it good? Yeah. Would I make it again? Probably not. Served with garlic cheesy toasts.

16 Likes

A few dinners recently…
Grilled huge trout almandine (heavy on the almonds), green salad with homemade creamy Italian dressing and NE rice pilaf mix.
Cheeseburger on sesame brioche bun and snow peas with blue cheese dressing
Spaghetti Rigatti with sautéed tomato sauce and green salad with homemade croutons and creamy Italian dressing
Light dinner of boiled shrimp, deviled eggs and a few tortilla chips

21 Likes

Great save!

1 Like

My DH made a sheet pan dinner - cheddar smoked sausages, pierogi, butternut squash, cabbage, and onions seasoned with caraway and Penzey’s Stardust. I made a summer cucumber-tomato salad with shallot, feta, basil, and a little sherry vinaigrette.

20 Likes

It was fine. Easy and the right size. Not fantastic

1 Like

More of the Finnish salmon soup. We love this recipe for all the right reasons – easy, quick, fresh, inexpensive, delicious. My modifications include adding fresh peas and a dash of tabasco.

I made a double batch tonight, because the leftovers are even better than the firsts.

22 Likes