What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Sandwiches last night: chicken cutlets, roasted zucchini, tomato, mozzarella. Pic taken before the mozz and entry into the oven to get all melty.

24 Likes

A buddy hosted our weekly poker game last night, and his new GF cooked for us all! App was a lovely burrata salad with cherry tomatoes and fresh figs (no pics, sadly, as it was a gorgeous bowl of food), followed by a zesty salmon coconut curry & a umami-to-the-max rice noodz dish with jalapeños and peppers.

18 Likes

Yes - good movie. And strange movie.

1 Like

This is kinda clever.

1 Like

Could you say more about this? I have a bunch of tostadas we need to use.

Nominations for Dish and Cuisine of the Quarter are up! Come share your ideas for fall!

2 Likes

Yes please!!! :yum::yum::yum:

It’s officially Autumn weather here so I made pork meatballs in a broth with kale, topped with Grana Padano. Really simple but tasty.

21 Likes

Fancy-ish salad right outta the 60’s :smiley:

Tuna and cottage cheese on a bed of romaine, tomatoes , cucumber slices and pickled red onion drizzled with anchovy/red wine vinaigrette + a dash or 2 of hot sauce.

20 Likes

Turkey Chili made with half a chopped onion, 1/2 a chopped red bell pepper, 1 lb. of ground turkey, 1 can cannellini beans with its liquid, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1/2 Tetra pack of Pomi strained tomatoes, chili powder, ground cumin, s/p, and minced green chiles.

Served on elbow noodles with grated Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and chopped green onion on top. Not my best effort, but pretty good. Corn muffins and wine alongside.

And dessert will be a plum and peach crisp from this recipe. I had bought peaches and plums during my power outage to eat out of hand, but never did, so used them up like this. Looked good coming out of the oven earlier!

26 Likes

Had a surplus of these beautiful FM heirloom cherry tomatoes, half of which I slow-roasted this afternoon for pasta sauce.

Actually went through the trouble of passing through a sieve to remove the seeds and skins for an extra smooth sawce. Put that sweet, rich tomato jam onto the plate at room temp, plopped a big ole ball of burrata on top, then added the ravs & torn basil leaves. The ravioli dough was really tender, and it all worked very well together :smiling_face:

26 Likes

I made Midwestern goulash after an evening out at the brewery. Tasty and nostalgic.

23 Likes

Cool today…so we did a Sunday roast with baked potatoes and steamed carrots. No pics, totally forgot!
Medium rare on the Spoon roast and lots of butter, sour cream, salt potatoes and chives on the potatoes.
Sleeping food, as my father would say.

19 Likes

My favorite comfort food. Called “American Chop Suey” here in New England…

3 Likes

Sure, each tostada has shrimp brined with salt, sugar, and a bit of baking soda for about 15 minutes, then cooked sous-vide for ten minutes at 70c. Poaching would work too. I used Florida pink shrimp and cut them in half after cooking for ease of eating, 3 shrimp/6 halves per tostada. First spread some mayonnaise on the tostada, put down the shrimp, and then top with Salsa Mexicana made with tomato, white onion, cilantro, jalapeño/serrano, lime juice, and salt to taste. Normally I would put some sliced avocado on top but didn’t have any this time, so just put some mayo on top. Also added some bottled salsa marisquera and served with some lime wedges.

9 Likes

DH manning the rotisserie tonight on the gas grill. My contribution was cold-oil fries from new-crop Kennebec potatoes, and a chopped garden salad.

24 Likes

We enjoyed an excellent dinner with our friends at Jasper Stone Italian Steakhouse in Monroe Township, NJ. We enjoyed an excellent Australian rack of lamb with a crispy potato ball on top of lamb stew (made from the lamb shoulder); Chilean sea bass in a yuzu ginger sauce with crispy rice; awesome crispy stuffed zucchini blossoms with pesto Trapanese and Nepitella; crispy crab cakes with a creole corn salad; French fries topped with crab, jalapeno peppers, old bay seasoning, and a Hollandaise sauce; It all went great with an excellent cabernet and Syrah.

19 Likes

13 Likes
4 Likes

Take-out Feijoada from Casa Tropical in Toronto tonight. Emmer’s plum almond tart for dessert.

5 Likes