What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Oven roasted bone-in chicken thighs (with a spice mixture made from salt, chili powder, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder and pepper) and potatoes (briefly parboiled in baking soda water, dried, mix with rendered chicken fat). Served with Greek inspired braised vegetables (leek, carrots, onion, tomatoes and celery braised in water with cinnamon stick, bay leaf and red wine vinegar).

18 Likes

I got hone late fron a matinee movie then errands this afternoon and I didn’t want to eat too late. I quickly defrosted the last of the marinara sauce in the freezer and made pasta arrabiata.

14 Likes

A much more balanced meal than the pile of pasta I served up :joy:

1 Like

Could that have been cavatelli? Looks so good. Fish does, too.

1 Like

I used to order this at Sal’s in Red Bank. When there was a Sal’s in Red Bank.

1 Like

Curry noodle soup for dinner tonight was this lazy gal’s solution.

We had some old packets of curry flavor flat noodles that I wasn’t sure were still good, so that’s where I started.

Bloomed some leftover thai red curry paste in oil, added more ginger and garlic, the curry spice packets from the noodles, and let that cook together. Then water and the mushrooms in half, and leftover chicken thighs in the other half. Later, coconut milk, spinach, and the separately (under) boiled noodles. Adjusted with some Maggi seasoning, soy sauce, jaggery, and lime juice and finished with cilantro.

Turned out quite well, and was a change from the veggie ramen noodle soup sis usually makes (which is delicious). Two pots reduced to one container of leftovers :joy:

19 Likes

Everything looks wonderful! Where did you find the farfel? I love it and it’s impossible to find where I live. Thanks.

1 Like

It’s listed as Gnocchi Sardi on the menu with Maine lobster, tomato, and tarragon. It was handmade and is a little different than regular potato gnocchi. It is Sardinian.

4 Likes

Roasted cherry tomatoes with olive oil, panko, pecorino romano cheese and black pepper, tossed with farfalle pasta, more olive oil and fresh basil.

22 Likes

I don’t live far from a very orthodox population with several large kosher-only grocery stores so I can usually find it. It is often sold prepared by the pound a la cole slaw. This time I picked up a couple of packages in a regular grocery that has a fairly large kosher section.

9 Likes

Thanks - the quest continues!

2 Likes

Sauteed romaine/hot Italian sausage/pickled veg/Parm Regg…
I’m a creature of habit.

20 Likes

Nice, thanks!

1 Like

Leftover pollo guisado tonight over whole wheat orzo.

22 Likes

I’d be happy to mail some to you.

2 Likes

Take-out fish and chips, Caesar salad, leftover fattoush minus the pita bits, and purchased pistachio buttercream raspberry cake tonight!

19 Likes

Dinners this week continue to get rearranged depending on my energy level. Tonight’s dinner was Thai noodle salad since everything was prepared in advance so the only thing I had to make was the salad dressing.

17 Likes

To munch on. We like this stuff. I don’t know why the short knife blade looks dark, it’s not. For all you zoomers like me🙂

Charcoal grilled salmon with mayo, dill and sweet relish, capers tartar sauce. Rice with cilantro and what I thought was chili crisp when I bought it turned out to be Fried chili in oil. Totally different. Small plate for me tonight.

18 Likes

Mmm, nice looking cake…was it good?

3 Likes

I liked it, but , I like plain vanilla icing better than pistachio buttercream!
The cake itself was perfect. Way better than I can bake, and better than almost every homemade cake I’ve eaten. I have 2 Chowhound friends who bake at this level. :joy:

This is baked at a coffee shop 3 blocks from my apartment. I plan to order custom cakes from them soon.

3 Likes