What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Overcooked :rage: salmon and veggies

14 Likes

Bought it jarred, but it would be super easy to make.

2 Likes

Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts were on sale this week (digital coupon), so I picked up 6. These are actually fairly large chicken breasts and one feeds two people. I didn’t want to make the same old chicken recipe, so I did a quick google search and decided on a Chicken, Spinach and Onion Quiche. So I made up some pie crust dough (minus the sugar), pre-cooked the chicken, sauteed the onions, put it all together and baked it. It was DELICIOUS!! And Sunshine really enjoyed it!!

22 Likes

Last night was take out Thai from mom’s favorite place for the last time. No good pic. Proprietor teared up and gave mom a big hug - she’s been a good customer over the years.

11 Likes

Yum. I love the look of that. Found recipe that you posted awhile back on menu planning thread.

1 Like

Marinated then fried lamb chops. I used this marinade as inspiration, but used mirin instead of oyster sauce, omitted the sugar, and added a shake of cumin and crushed chiles.
Served with homegrown spaghetti squash (maple syrup, butter, pumpkin pie spice) , basmati rice, broccoli, zucchini. Ideas for Lamb - #14 by Phoenikia
Creme caramel in a mason jar from Bakery Pompette in Toronto for dessert.

7 Likes

Our first gig after the summer break (2.5 months :grimacing:) went smashingly well: good crowd, full house, no major fuckups - just the way I like it.

Band gets 50% off food & drinks, so I got to try their smoked whitefish dip with caperberries, roe, and housemade brown bread, as well as the grilled oyster mushroom medley. The dip was a bit wet & the bread a little overcharred, but the shrooms were absolutely delectable: a bowl full of earthy umami.

Couldn’t finish either during our short set break, so the leftovers came home with us. Polished off the dip, but saved the shrooms for today as a possible side to whatever the hell’s on the table tonight. No clue as of yet :joy:

20 Likes

Momo night!

We had desi chicken momos and vegetable and paneer momos. I am in love with both, but especially the desi chicken ones that taste like a kabab inside a dumpling.

I pulled out the Chinese-ish chicken wings from yesterday too because the soy-ginger-chilli-sesame oil sauce was perfect to accompany the chicken momos. Concocted the usual chilli-soy momo sauce for the veggie ones.

I also finally found the dumpling steamers I bought years ago (and no one has used :rofl:) and put them to work – amazing how the dumplings stay intact and lift off fine when the correct implements are used hahaha.

23 Likes

I didn’t have any cream last night, and made it with 2% milk and a little potato flour to thicken it up. It’s better with the cream (obviously), but probably better for me with the milk. It was tasty, in any case. :yum:

5 Likes

Sorry forgot to take a picture but we had a memorable Alison Roman fish recipe for dinner this evening

A very delicious fish treatment with a credible south east asian flavor twist. Loved it.

11 Likes

We enjoyed one of our favorite Friday night dinners al fresco on, the deck, on a beautiful Friday night. Mrs. P made Andouille sausage and delicata squash pizza with fried sage, ricotta, mozzarella, and fresh shaved parmigiana Reggiano cheese on a Stonefire crust. It was topped with extra hot honey. We started off with homemade guacamole with Zapps spicy Crawtator chips. It went great with a nice inexpensive cabernet.

22 Likes

Squash + fried sage are one of my favorite flavor combos. Flowers on your deck look absolutely stunning as well!

6 Likes

Charcoal grilled burgers and buns. Topped with cheddar and Wolfbrand chili. Dijon on my side. Everything but the kitchen sink on his. Cheddar & sour cream ripple chips. That’s it for the night🙂

18 Likes

We hosted a playdate with some fellow first graders and served take-out pizza and a snack platter with baby tomatoes, cheesy popcorn, and sliced apples. I opened a nice white burgundy and friends brought vinho verde, “beignets” (really more like filled donut holes), and a sweet potato salad from Earth Fare market. Made decaf espresso drinks and served some TJ’s salted brownies.

No pics. The kids trashed the house :joy:

22 Likes

Thank you! The hibiscus, mandevillas, and petunias did really well this year.

4 Likes

Pan pizza with homemade marinara and fresh basil (pickled peppers optional). Chopped salad from garden veggies to go with.

26 Likes

Mahi mahi with ginger and garlic, beets with dill, corn on the cob, apple pie.

8 Likes

Murgh mali with gunpowder potatoes and kachumber salad. I only had breast and ran out of propane so had to finish in the cast iron and oven. Chicken was ok, a little dry, potatoes and salad were perfect. Boulevardier cocktail, I had to make a double to fit my large glass. The sacrifices we have to make. :innocent:

21 Likes

I want that pizza!

3 Likes

Very interesting fusion dish around Pasta Norma from Chef Tim Raue, who is a well known German chef with some Michelin stars and a cooking style which often combines east and west - the dish was a nice example how you can do use fusion cooking without forcing it as it creates a wonderful vibrant and complex dish.
Here you create a tomato based sauce by combining strained tomatoes, nuoc cham, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise and sriracha and cooking it for awhile to reduce. You pan fry some eggplants with some garlic before combing everything with some pasta water. Finished with some basil and feta (ricotta salata wasn’t available)

17 Likes