What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Being frugal (well maybe “cheap” is the better word) I couldn’t resist going back to the store and picking up a few more avocados that were on sale. Unfortunately, they had been picked over and all that was left was ripe or slightly over ripe ones. I purchased four and came home looking for a recipe I could use them in tonight for dinner. I stumbled across a Pesto Avocado Chicken Noodle bake recipe that looked good, but I had served chicken last night. So, I start digging in the freezer and found BACON!! Yes… bacon will make a good substitute for chicken. And thus I present to you my very first Pesto Avocado Bacon Tomato Noodle Bake topped with cheese & fried onions.

For the record, both Sunshine and I really enjoyed this creation.

17 Likes

For some reason my brain doesn’t process hot + avocado :joy: — like the broiled half avocados some japanese restaurants serve.

5 Likes

I don’t ‘get’ hot avocado at all, either. Love it raw, but seeing a pasta dish on a menu near us with avocado & salmon in tomato sauce gave me pause.

3 Likes

Currently trending in India: avocado chaat. Less weird, because chutneys and salsas are cousins, as are tortilla chips and cruncy puris/papdis used for chaat, but still dissonant to me.

3 Likes

I usually make this happen but I love when it happens serendipitously.

YES on the hangar steak, scallops, calamari & rock shrimp, duck leg and THOSE FRIES! :heart_eyes: That was a feast for all of you!

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of that (at the time), but you are correct.

I have four avocados, left (purchased earlier in the week) that are not ripe yet, but when they get to that point… I’ll make sushi. The plan was to make California Rolls, but I don’t have any imitation crab in stock, so I may substitute some Ahi Tuna into these sushi rolls. I can’t call them California Rolls, but Sunshine will call them delicious. She really likes sushi rolls.
Moreover, I have a sushi chef hat that I put on and make a fun time out of the whole process.

6 Likes

Temps had gone down to a balmy 86 for our dinner at the mozzarella bar :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:

Don’t know how the chef and staff were able to be in the open kitchen for any longer than a minute, but we were def glad to have brought my lil fan that that was passed around between us for most of the night.

Sadly, the grande degustazione di mozzarella was not available, as they were out of two kinds of five. The waiter recommended the figliata, a 10oz burrata stuffed with ciliegine none of us had had before. It was very good, but we were still a little disappointed. Like, how do you run out of your featured dish on a Saturday night???

We shared the figliata, the famous caponata (still good), green beans braised in a slightly spicy tomato broth, and grilled veg as a side for the mozzarella. Perfect amount of food for a ridiculously steamy eve.

18 Likes

Yes, everything was delicious! It is always a treat to eat there. The staff is so friendly.

1 Like

The Subway Sandwich chain will put out there a photo of a meatball sub. The picture looks really good, but we all know it isn’t real. Yours looks just fine and we know the sauce is genuine. Thanks for keeping it real!

1 Like

How about avocado as the main ingredient in a dessert pie?

Are you a party of two, three or four? Such a variety of food and I see you are fond of seafood. Do you go the prix fixe route and do you like that presentation in dining? Just curious.

2 Likes

We are a party of two (Mrs. P and I). Mrs. P is the seafood person, and am mainly the meat person, although I had the delicious scallops. This particular dinner was a prix fixe 3 course dinner and we ordered a side order of those delicious fries. Most of our dinners are a la carte though. We like to order several appetizers to get a little taste of everything and then order 2 entrees. There are usually plenty of leftovers (mainly hers :smiley:) to take home for another meal.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I do enjoy the ‘tasting’ method with take homes for later. I have found the offered ‘tasting menus’ I have experienced to be over-priced and pretentious and leaving one craving for more; not economical for my gourmet experience. Thanks for sharing your meals!

1 Like

<delurking> I enjoy slices of avocado in omelets, and in ramen. The warmth enhances the texture and flavor. In fact, today’s lunch will be an omelet with havarti, asparagus, and avocado.</delurking>

6 Likes

I think that’s the right direction of substition… :smiley:

I have been making wasabi mayo and sriracha mayo to accompany homemade sushi and sushi bowls, and they make up for most ingredient substitions :joy:

The best part of enjoying cooking and eating!

4 Likes

Labor intensive Dungeness ‘Kani’ preparation and presentation…Yummy end result well worth the effort!👍😋

18 Likes

My cheffy friend once served us pesto pasta and proudly told us we’d never guess the secret ingredient. I got it immediately. Avocado pesto pasta. Not my favorite.

3 Likes

That’s just weird.

Pesto takes nothing like avocado.

Only thing the two have in common is color (and barely at that).

Sort of like substituting black pepper in place of dark chocolate because both are, um, black-ish in color.

2 Likes

He substituted it for some of the olive oil.

1 Like