What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Tonight’s dinner was breaded baked liver, mashed potatoes & gravy with peas on the side. I’m going to our local blood drive tomorrow, so I wanted a little extra iron on board. The last time I donated I was “borderline” when they checked my iron level. My blood is “CMV negative” and they need it for infants and pediatric transfusions, so I try not to miss a donation.

26 Likes

Second day of Martha’s pot roast. I made enough veg for an army.

7 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was stirfried broccoli and carrots served over fettucine.

13 Likes

^^ Exactly what I thought when I heard about your electrical issue at home. So much all at once. Yikes.

Maybe treat yourself to a lovely cheese plate/salad/baguette this weekend? Caprese with the gorgeous summer tomatoes? Tomato sandwich with your favorite mayo + Cabot’s pepperjack cheese + an optional layer of thinly sliced cucumber? (I’m on this tomato sandwich kick until the summer tomatoes disappear.) All taste-tested by me to pair well with wine.

Fingers crossed that the electrical snafu gets fixed sooner than expected!

8 Likes
8 Likes

Last night we had coctel de camaron with adult beverages in front of the TV, so I could kick off my long weekend!

19 Likes

YUM! That looks delicious

1 Like

Me Too! I only learned recently that I’m CMV negative. I also try to donate as often as allowed. The Sprout and I try together as a mother/daughter activity.

7 Likes

Thank! The soup was quite successful.

1 Like

The new thread for September is up!

4 Likes

That is so cool… Great idea!!

2 Likes

It doesn’t hurt that our favorite ice cream place is close the Red Cross center!

3 Likes

¡Qué rico!

1 Like

Thank you for your contributions!

1 Like

I have been in a similar situation as a regular donor and ended up with low ferritin and borderline for anemia. Just a friendly push to get your blood work checked by your doc. You might need to supplement, as I do. Tip off to me was falling asleep early, fatigue, and breathlessness with exercise.

2 Likes

Thank you for your donations, tool

1 Like

Rarely do I follow instructions exactly. I get it but I also understand why I prefer cooking (which is forgiving and likes experimentation) over baking (which seems stern and exacting). How do you get the eggplant to be crispy, though?

1 Like

Thanks…
I just got back, my iron was 14. It had to be 13 or above, so they happily drained me.
But yes… I am scheduled to see my doctor in October for a checkup and blood work.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

It’s been a week. my sister came down with something still not really identified (tested negative for Covid), and was really sick all week long. I worked from her house all week and in between, ran to the pharmacy/Kaiser/lab with and for her, and helped out with the dogs (she boards them, but there are 4 of our own.) So, by Saturday, i was pooped! Meals for me (since she wasn’t eating) were combos of pickley items i picked up at Korean and Japanese groceries near her with rice and/or eggs. Which I love. (She’s mostly better but not 100%.)

So, a couple of pics of my meals at her place, and dogs, and first dinner back at home with the BF Sunday - more of the NYT Citrus Pesto on fusilli, with zucchini, and a much needed nightcap at our local (plus a late-night al pastor taco from the taco stand on our corner.)

Japanese bowl

Me and Taco

Negroni

Tonight, i finally cooked a proper meal - Charles Phan’s lemongrass chicken. Also, frozen dumplings we picked up at the store - chicken and cabbage. Can’t remember the brand, but they were really good.

I also made the Jennifer Aniston salad yet again for lunches this week, and a really delicious and easy chili crisp from a tiktok video.

17 Likes