What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Gurl! That’s an October dinner. JK. It looks fab.

1 Like

Green peppers cooked down in a sauce or stew I can handle, but on pizza it just tastes too raw and bitter for my liking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Red yellow orange > green!

1 Like

What a feast! What fun!

3 Likes

I had intended on having a basa fillet with rice pilaf tonight but one of my colleagues brought some timbits to work and the rest, as they say, is history. After a half dozen timbits this afternoon I decided to settle for lighter fare so I decided to have a pan fried basa fillet, a tomato and a COTC. The farm I get my CSA from grows the sweetest corn evah and amazing tomatoes.

23 Likes

Shrimp Mozambique and Rice with Chorizo and Mushrooms! I wrote up the details of the making for the Summer 2023 Cuisine of the Quarter (Portuguese) thread. The shrimp are spicy, but not so spicy you can’t enjoy the saffron, garlic and wine in the sauce! I also made a really nice rice pilaf studded with chorizo and mushrooms. We ate very well tonight!

26 Likes

A summertime two-bean dinner!

Grilled pork tenderloin slices
Local green beans
First local lima beans of the year :tada:

Blueberry crumb cake for dessert :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Beautiful pic!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Sour leaf chin baung kyaw, made with sorrel (instead of the more traditional roselle) and Anaheim pepper from my balcony. Holy cats, this was good.

dinner

17 Likes

Cashew chicken with haricots verts and garlic chives. Cucumber, onion, kimchi salad with rice vinegar & oil dressing, rpf and black sesame seeds.

A pink gin & tonic, made with soupçon of Campari.

Gazpacho martini. I know, I know, but it sounded interesting and it was, like a really strong Bloody Mary.

The hummers have a deck full of delicious flowers and they choose sugar water.

24 Likes

Olive-oil baked BC King Salmon (ala NYT) with fresh chives and tarragon. Spinach salad with peaches, blueberries, almonds, a nice Point Reyes blue cheese, and a raspberry vinaigrette.

Typically for roast salmon I would go with Jacques Pepin’s low-temperature method, but I wanted to try this version. I was not disappointed. The herbs came through nicely. I pulled the salmon at 110 degrees, gave it a 5 minute rest, and it was (under-)done perfectly. I have ideas for different flavor profiles using this temperature and method.

25 Likes

Ooh, you fancy.

4 Likes

I gotta try this salmon method.

2 Likes

Wow!!

1 Like

Continuing to empty mom‘s freezer…

Boneless pork baby back ribs pressure cooked then broiled with Asian-y flavors. Cabbage ramen salad inspired by the menu planning thread. Tomato salad.

19 Likes

I combined rosemary and honey for a pan sauce to drizzle over my chicken. Its a keeper

5 Likes

Love the combo of green peppers, red onion & mushrooms on pizza. No meat needed. But I’m generally not crazy about them either besides on pizza or raw in choriatiki.

2 Likes

Another old friend is visiting en route to Szczecin with her buddy, and we took them to the Georgian place we’d been to a few times. We shared the khachapuri with egg,

the eggplant rolls with walnut paste (dreamy),

the lamb chinkhali,

and “A Georgian in Tel Aviv” - a platter with grilled eggplant, hummus, falafel, tahini, spicy (not) plums, cilantro pesto…

perhaps the least Georgian dish of them all. I ordered a shitty Georgian white wine that tasted like a crappy Chard, but we suffered through it.

As for last night’s dinner, we dragged them to a Lebanese place we hadn’t been to in eons, and it was very good. At first, a warm mezze platter for 2 at 40 € may seem a lot, but it was enough for us 4 to share, and we got some delightful baba ghanoush & tabouleh on the side.

The thoum was so incredible Ima hafta make some when I get back home. I could dip damn near anything in that silky, garlicky goodness <3

20 Likes

I fell into a duck and peach / duck and nectarine rabbit hole.

Duck legs for dinner.

https://www.ontariotenderfruit.ca/recipe.php?id=3i7v1y2v9g3l

5 Likes