What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

I woke up to thunder and lightening, then it sprinkled for a nano second. Got up to a muggy 90 degrees, but then we got a nice breeze and it cooled down to a pleasant 80.
Dinner was shrimp Caesar salad. There was a Red Snapper and Beefeater rocks with a tipsy olive.

23 Likes

Rats!

One hundred seven degrees today and it was too darned hot to cook the cast iron pizza I had planned baking on the grill. The dough can proof another day in the fridge and I’ll try tomorrow. ATK recipe, simple cheesy pizza pie in the cast iron. Missile pop and a ham sam for evening meal.

6 Likes

I intended on having a vegetarian ramen soup for dinner tonight however I remembered I had a little coconut milk left in the fridge so I decided to make a vegetarian curry instead. I heated up a little grapeseed oil in a fry pan then added onion, garlic, ginger, fish sauce and nappa cabbage and rehydrated dried shiitake mushrooms. I then added a little green curry paste then added the coconut milk. When everything was heated through I served it over udon noodles then added a little lime juice and some tofu.

18 Likes

roasted pork chops with carrots

23 Likes

Tonight hailed The Return Of The Sushi Bowl, after a seemingly long (but probably not that long) hiatus.

Our pretty non-standard but standard-to-us-right-now toppings: cabbage (mixed with wasabi and mayo for easier wasabi distribution), sesame carrots, avocado, and prawns in spicy mayo. I forgot both seaweed and furikake in my fussing with the rice (see below).

Twist tonight was that I tried to make crispy rice for the base, inspired by a Nobu recipe via COTM Recipe Tin Eats. BUT, I’m not deep or shallow frying rice, and I don’t start dinner with enough lead time for pressing and chilling rice either, so… I went the soccarat / nurungji / tahdig / route and pressed the seasoned rice into a nonstick pan, used a plate to slide it off, flipped it over, and crisped up the other side too. It was a bit messy, but very successful in that it resulted in lots of crunchy bits. (As an aside, there is no pretty term I have encountered in any Indian cuisine for rice stuck to a pot… we call it: BURNT rice… or WHAT did you DO to the RICE!!! :rofl:)

Mom had tomato and avocado salad with soy-sesame dressing, bread and butter, assorted cheese (Talleggio, Edam, and Jewish string cheese), and then just to see what she’d think of it, I made her a couple of bites of a vegetarian sushi bowl (so excluding the shrimp, but with a touch of the sriracha mayo I made for it). She almost gave it back to me after a bite, then thought for a minute and decided she’s rather have the rest and eschew some of the bread. So, next week, mom is probably in on the sushi bowl, which is exciting!

Last night was a continuation of our offal-at-home series, with goat trotters a la mom. I forgot to post the previous episode of said series, brain cooked in green chutney and ghee a la our neighbors growing up (well, for like 25 years) who ate this for breakfast every Sunday (and also fed it to my sister who would disappear next door in that exact window from the time she could be baby-napped by them – she was a bit younger than their kids and they all adored her and she them). Sis makes a delicious rendition, though with a fraction of the ghee they considered acceptable!

Finally, I forgot to post our biryani(s) a few days ago. We ordered mutton (goat) biryani in from a place my sister has been wanting to try, and made mom vegetarian (soya nugget) biryani at home. Tbh, hers was better than ours :joy: — the spicing of the meat masala was off: less spicy, not saucy enough for the quantity of rice, no fried onions (seriously WTH), and half a potato in a 2/3-person portion :woman_facepalming:t2:. Another day, another (biryani) lesson. We have a few places left to try before I can go back to my gold standard.

23 Likes

A phenomenon that does not exist in my world, and why I had to stop cooking “extra servings for tomorrow” of pasta… that didn’t survive the fridge overnight :woman_facepalming:t2::roll_eyes::flushed:

7 Likes

Beef gravlax? Wouldn’t that just be cured beef?

The duck & pea dish look incredible!

Mmmmmchicken salad salad.

I’m better at it back home. I “measure” short pasta in an individual salad bowl, and kinda eye-ball long strand pasta. I’d sorta figured that half a package of those fusilli would be too much.

Thankfully, my PIC adores my cooking - my pasta in particular :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, so I guess we’ll just “have to” eat this again tomorrow :wink:

2 Likes

Can you believe 62* in Texas this morning. But back up to 107* tomorrow. I saw that cast iron skillet cheese pizza made the other day on ATK. Looked really good.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yum, especially the biryani. What is the item at about 2 o’clock on the second to last picture?

1 Like

I’m making this tonight! It was the first video in that cast-iron ziti episode. Ours will have various cheeses because no trip to the store is possible ATM.

3 Likes

Lucky you. We visited Alsace—and Colmar—in 2019. Delicious food and wine. We enjoyed tasting many different examples of Cremant d’Alsace. Charming, walkable towns were a delight to explore. Enjoy!

2 Likes

What’s the blurred out about?

I’m going to see how the heat goes today. Our grill is on the SW corner of the deck, (100°+ predicted temp) and with the heat and lack of humidity plus high winds today, I’ll just have to see. Maybe another dinner of cool foods. Maybe I’ll solar oven-it :laughing:. Z’pacho sounds good!

1 Like

Nice man. Her bebe will appreciate it, too.

If you click on the blurred part it will unblur.

2 Likes

Oh. I just wasn’t sure if it was hiding something offensive or uncouth. I haven’t come across that blurring treatment before. Thanks!

That’s how they described it on the menu - and yes, I think it is cured beef but with an interesting mix of spices and textures

1 Like