What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

She really went all out.

What I didn’t mention is that after she sent us her planned menu, my other friend told her she is eating “Jain” at the moment — meaning per Jain dietary restrictions (eggless vegetarian as indian vegetarians always are base case, but then also nothing that grows underground or close to the ground — no garlic, onion, potato, and a few other things that are pretty common).

So she had a plate prepared “Jain” for her for every course (for eg no garlic chutney in a few things, potato kulcha was made with a different stuffing for her, some components were changed in other dishes. And for my fusspot self, a separate plate of “sushi pizza” without cucumber :rofl:

Luckily she has help in the kitchen, though she did spend a lot of the evening in there supervising (kicked us out when we went to help or hang out with her), and ate her own apps only after all the app courses were served.

(Just remembered I was joking with @klyeoh about indian entertaining on another thread — paging him for a look at this more “modern” small plates example :joy:)

6 Likes

Love shrimp and angel hair!

Re canned asparagus or other canned veg, for me it’s a textural thing. My cousin would open a can of green beans almost every meal as the vegetable side for his kids if they hadn’t cooked a fresh veg, because the kids would eat them without complaint.

I just didn’t get it, but then I didn’t grow up with any canned veg, nor was I introduced to them until that point as an adult. I do, however, get the appeal - and the economy.

6 Likes

After a long day of hiking we decided to eat one more time a three course prix fixe in our hotel at Restaurant Schlehdorn

Appetizers:

Mixed Salad with French Dressing

Three preparations of salmon, avocado, lime, tomato, red beet

Mains:

Sea perch, pine nuts-sage butter, mediterranean vegetables, creamy polenta

Chanterelles alla creme, cherry tomatoes, German dumplings

“Smoked and pulled” goat as strudel, ginger, teriyaki sauce, chili, cilantro, pointed cabbage, carrots

Desserts:

Sour cherry sorbet, fresh fruit, sour cherry liquor, mint

Duo of citrus, crumble, macademia, sorbet, foam, quark

15 Likes

So. Much. Time.

Mostly with really nice, convivial folks, tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

I usually drink far more beer in Germany than back home, but even here 2-3 pints are my limit. I find it incredibly filling & tend to tire of the flavor… which doesn’t seem to happen with the same amount of wine or martinis :smiley:

2 Likes

Thread started by @MidwesternerTT which may be of interest to WFD cooks.

Mr Bean requested pizza so pizza it was. He specifically wanted pepperoni so that’s what he got. With Rao’s marinara (the first time I had their sauce which I really liked), sorta fresh rather than shredded mozzarella, provolone, and pepperoni.

Our peach tree has been very prolific this year so The Spout and I decided to go with a grilled peach pie (Mr Bean doesn’t eat hot fruit). Grilled peaches, ricotta, burrata, basil, arugula, and a drizzle of hot honey.

23 Likes

As a young child in the late 60’s/early 70’s, we had canned asparagus periodically. I thought it was disgusting but supermarkets didn’t have fresh stuff or if so, just for a minute in the spring. It is almost hard to fathom the food choices back then in the LA area. No 99 Ranch, H Mart, Sprouts, Jon’s, or the abundance of farmers market, etc. We went to Gardena for Japanese food provisions every week. You could drive all over to find specialty food markets aimed at certain immigrant populations but it was a chore. Anyway, end result was canned asparagus.

4 Likes

Peaches on pizza is way underrated.

4 Likes

Glazed pork chop on the bbq, romaine salad with cucumbers and tomatoes, Dijon/red wine vinaigrette.

22 Likes

ETA: I would like to clarify that I do not drink martinis by the pint :rofl: :cocktail:

8 Likes

Last night’s dinner was “John Wayne Casserole” (Recipe from Catherine’s Plates on youtube). I did add some crispy onions to the top for a little crunchy texture. Sunshine did not like the corn in it, so I’ll substitute chopped broccoli in place of corn, next time I make it. All in all, a good recipe that just needs some minor tweaks.

12 Likes

I had to look it up :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Yes… I hadn’t heard of it either until I stumbled across it on youtube. It is a little on the “heavy” side and it definitely is NOT low in calories or fat. I followed this recipe, but need to modify it a bit.
John Wayne Casserole

2 Likes

Do you ever make tamale pie? It looks fairly similar.5)15: what we make. I use polenta for the base.

2 Likes

Interesting. The story of the different types of bbq by region that followed was very interesting!

1 Like

I have not made that dish, but I will look it up. I like polenta, and Sunshine likes cornbread, so that might work. I’ll start doing some research.
Thank you!!

1 Like

My late MIL, who was a great baker and a pretty terrible cook, used to boil canned asparagus for about an hour. Horrible!

2 Likes

Hoo boy :grimacing:

1 Like

That looks really good! I have a bag of sea scallops in the freezer. Reminded me to use them up.

2 Likes