What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

I’ve been known to exaggerate. :joy:

3 Likes

When one’s liver was unhappy it’s certainly a good idea to stop :flushed:

2 Likes

Gorgeous plating, Linda. Almost looks like you went to Dalí :wink:

1 Like

Another typical, unpredictable weather day here that eliminated our usual weekend plans for a lazy afternoon at the Thai park - where we STILL have not been. We’ve also not made it to the fried chicken place, and we only have less than 4 weeks left. I don’t even KNOW us anymore :confused:

Went to the fancy farmers market near us instead where I picked up 300g / 10oz of fresh porcini for tonight’s pasta meal at home, an absolute luxury at roughly 60€/kg, but still cheaper than ordering porcini pasta at a restaurant. It’s all relative as we know :wink:

Bought another bottle of that lovely local gin, hit up a couple vintage stores, then bopped around an area where we easily raised the average age by 20 years.

Dinner was a rather lazy affair of us walking down the road to the dim sum place. We ordered double-cooked pork, that lovely stir-fried water spinach again, and har gow. The pork arrived & didn’t look anything like we expected - lightly battered, in a brown sauce that reminded me of “Chinese” food I grew up with.

Meh. And then a long time nothing. There was only one waiter taking orders & dealing with the bills, and one lady who was busing. Eventually, the spinach and the har gow arrived.

I swear those dumplings were the absolute best rendition that have ever passed these lips anywhere (I’ve not been to HK, however). Plump & juicy, with a very flavorful filling, but the skin was really the star - so tender and silky. I could’ve made an entire meal just with these scrumptious flavor bombs. Lesson learned - next time we go (and you bet we will!) dinner will be dim sum.

18 Likes

These guys do not skimp!

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner may be in, but it’s still a bit of a splurge. I was going to pick up chanterelles at the fancy farmers market yesterday, but right next to them (and 3x the price) were porcini/boletes/cèpes, and I thought what the hell - #YOLO. Still an absolute bargain compared to what we’d pay for a similar dish at a restaurant.

Pappardelle ai funghi porcini. The picture doesn’t do justice to the utter joy our taste buds were experiencing. I love pappardelle, I love mushrooms, and this just came together like >chef’s kiss<

A mixed salad with a Dijon / raspberry vinegar /walnut oil vinaigrette, baby kumatoes, and ciliegine was on the side, but not worthy of any pics.

25 Likes

I will be in two weeks. I couldn’t wait. :grin:

4 Likes

Pappardelle e funghi=love❤

4 Likes

Crab and fennel risotto. This paired very well with the remains of yesterday’s Pinot Noir!

23 Likes

Picked up some double-cut bone-in pork chops at my butcher on Friday. One was dinner tonight, drizzled with olive oil and well covered with Penzeys Tsardust Memories seasoning blend. Grilled on the cast iron grill pan for 5 minutes a side, then into a 350° oven to finish for about 8 minutes.

Green beans, fresh local corn cut off the cob, and chopped red bell pepper were sautéed in olive oil and butter and were seasoned with a quick homemade Bouquet Garni blend of dried oregano, summer savory, marjoram, rosemary, basil and thyme. Added a healthy pinch of s/p to the mix.

Made a mango salsa to go with the pork chop of diced Ataulfo mango, red bell pepper, minced red onion, jalapeño, and parsley, mixed with fresh lime juice.

There was a glass of wine with dinner.

27 Likes

Tomato mushroom bread pudding (mediocre) and veg from the garden, and leftovers.

14 Likes

I keep telling myself I will Never again pay $12.99 a pound for raw marinated beef fajita meat. And yet we were driving by a New Mexican grocery store and went on in. Picked up 1 1/2 lbs. along with some house made flour tortillas.,So charcoal grilled out fajitas, poblanos, onions and a couple cobs of corn. Canned doctored refried beans. Store bought tortilla chips. And made some Rajas for the first time in probably twenty years. Most of the ingredients were right in front of me and a bell went off. Tomato onion, jalapeño, cilantro, avocado salad for him.(not shown). A dab of butter for my chips., This kitchen smelled better than walking into a Mexican restaurant.:slightly_smiling_face:

23 Likes

Now you’ve got Stompin’ Tom’s Tillsonburg song going through my head.

1 Like

I wait all summer for my haricots verts to be ready so I can make salade niçoise. With baby Yukon golds (from the garden), hbe, cherry tomatoes, the last jar of someone’s home canned albacore (given to me by Jr, this stuff is sooo good), on a bed of red romaine. Dressing is rice vinegar, oo, garlic, a dash of L&P, calamata olives, anchovies, parsley and a dab of peas from neglected snow peas. As I was taking my last mouthful I realized I had forgotten the red onion, it was still superb. Cocktail was a Negroni

25 Likes

Roasted polish kielbasa sausages. Roasted garden carrots. Leftover pasta with mushrooms and chives.

26 Likes

Well its the maiden voyage of my new smoker . I bought it for a dollar yesterday at my neighbors yard sale . I tossed some oak chunks in the bottom.
What better time to take some goat ribs out of the freezer and cook . Its locally raised goat .
Served with a garlic, caper , lemon , parsley gremolata.
Along with a tomato pasta. Cheers .

33 Likes

I used up the balance of our “clearance” red bell peppers, tonight. I slow cooked some thinly sliced beef, onions and the aforementioned bell peppers. This medley was served over white basmati rice. Both Sunshine and I really enjoyed this meal.

21 Likes

Your post reminded me of the metal band Goatsmoker.

1 Like

Pizza!

We had a Big Stressful Meeting in the evening, so I suggested ordering in pizza when everyone else finally left, because Mom loves it and I thought it would help ease the mood.

This margherita was fantastic. Perfect crust, great flavor, cooked just right, and showed up fast!

24 Likes

Nice score!