What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

First corn of the season, from Migliorelli, with sage, from the balcony, butter and lime. Half a tuna melt left over from a very not excellent dinner out last night, callaloo stew (nee soup).

25 Likes

I made an adaptation of Schwarties Potatoes/ Funeral potatoes using new potatoes, Campbell’s cream of mushroom, sour cream and Irish cheddar, and we liked it.

Also eggplant parm with a midnight sauce from Eataly.
Sausages from the freezer tasted stale, so a hot dog was boiled. Pecan pie for some people afterwards.

10 Likes

For the holiday, we walked around Alameda (island/former Naval Base across the bay from San Francisco) on a blustery, sunny day for a couple of hours. stopped at In-n-Out Burgers for a holiday treat - BF was really jonesing for one and i think it had been 10 years since I last had one. He got a double-double, I had a protein style cheeseburger (single patty wrapped in lettuce, no bun.) He ordered fries even though neither of us like theirs, and i ate 4 of them. So when we got home, and after i took another, 45 minute walk in the neighborhood (I also worked out this a.m.), i was starverating, but he was still full! So, my solo dinner was the last leftover Peruvian grilled thigh over the Jennifer Anniston salad, with half a small avo. Hit the spot.

As per tradition, SF fireworks shows will probably be all fogged out so we’re staying home tonight.

23 Likes

oh to be a kitty on a velvet chair! (love the chair, by the way, and of course, kitty!)

6 Likes

I’m headed that way soon!

1 Like

Sopa de Fideo with leftover scallion chicken and freshly picked zucchini. The broth was made from roasted garden tomatoes, and onions discarded from a Marcella Hazen-esque tomato sauce. I ran both through the blender and then strained, thinning with a little chicken stock.

Served with a chicken chicharon as crouton, diced avocado in lime, and homemade tortilla chips on the side.

There will be chocolate zucchini cake for dessert.

25 Likes

Festive fourth food. Chicken wings, baked with bbq rub and then finished under the broiler with a brushing of KC Masterpiece. Doctored canned pinto beans, baked potato salad, hbe, dill pickles, black olives, red onon, red pepper, s&p, dill, mayo, sour cream dressing and a dusting of paprika. Sangria

23 Likes

What a great way to think about it.

1 Like

If it were me eating it would be all of the above!

3 Likes

Funny thing is, when Covid first hit, and we didn’t know anything about it, and you couldn’t buy much, and you couldn’t order much, I was really happy to have that little pile of spice packets.

8 Likes

Well, COVID was pretty close to Armageddon! I’ve adjusted how I shop “just in case” we once again get too close.

5 Likes

I love mackerel tabbies with full bellies!

5 Likes

We grilled with friends at their place while the kiddos splashed in the pool. I brought Italian-American macaroni salad and more beet pickled eggs. They made grilled brats and marinated portabella burgers with Swiss and pesto. All good.

Check out the indigo milk caps growing in their yard!

29 Likes

Wow! I’ve never heard of those! Tell me more!

I don’t know if I’d trust a blue mushroom?

1 Like

Beautiful color on those wings.

3 Likes

If she never posts again, I guess we’ll know! :rofl:

9 Likes

Atta girl!

I actually said that out loud to myself as I read it.

4 Likes

As most of you know, I work two jobs: one I love and one that provides the medical which happens to be in food service. The latter is located by one of New Jersey’s busiest beaches. Many coworkers were anticipating today to be the busiest day of the year to date. The afternoon rain dampened the madness, as I walked in today in a special state of nausea and having made extra ice cubes at home for tonight. It was not so bad.

I got home on time. A little humid, but BF and I sat outside with a couple of drinks and listened to the fireworks. Low-key 4th.

To drink for him was White Claw. For me, a first-time try: bourbon and tonic! I think it was @BeefeaterRocks who mentioned this a while back but I could be wrong. WOW was that good. I never mixed anything but gin or vodka with tonic and never thought a brown spirit would work. But with a hefty lemon wedge instead of lime, it was like a lighter Whiskey Sour. I always use diet or low sugar tonic to cut back on the calories, so I enjoyed a few of these. What a wonderful summer whiskey drink, and more livening than a standard highball. No pic of the drink but here’s one of our tiki torches.

To eat: The latest burger entry (we seem to have them once a month) which was sharp cheddar, toasted Brioche bun, and under the tomato and onion is an aioli consisting of BBQ sauce, mayo, Worcestershire, and apple cider vinegar. Air-fried McCain’s IPA battered fries. Can’t taste the beer but that extra flavor really helps mask that certain “taste” frozen fries get when baked or air-fried. I can’t describe it but I’m sure some of you know what I mean.

30 Likes

Frikadellen (German meatballs/patties - made with ground beef, soaked roll, red onions, parsley, yoghurt, eggs) with potatoes and carrots - everything roasted together in the oven

23 Likes