What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Pork chops with roasted carrots

19 Likes

I cooked, I cooked! Picked up a little under a pound of beautiful chanterelles at the farmers market this morning, the pasta had already been purchased at the Italian market, organic bacon, shallots, parsley & crème fraîche at the supermarket. It was supposed to rain and storm all day & night, but now the sun is out and it’s looking to be a beautiful evening that we’ll be spending… at home :roll_eyes:

Antipasto was burratina with honey tomatoes. Best burrata I’ve had (also from the Italian market), and the tomatoes were from the same pricy farm stand where I got the shroomz. Worth it. #YOLO

The most tender (organic) arugula I’ve ever had with lemon oil, lemon juice, s&p & a little grated parmiggiano.

And finally, the star of tonight’s dinner table: la pasta stupenda :yum:

27 Likes

I drink water constantly at work, and I’ve had several glasses of water today. So it’s not dehydration.

No to both. Although my sister gets auras and migraines. I often get these “pressure headaches” when the humidity and temps are high, as they have been and are again today. Aggravated the headache today doing my errands, so Im inside taking it easy for the rest of the day.

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Looks worth staying home for, even if the sun is out!

1 Like

Leftovers from many days of FOOD were wfd last night (uncle visiting after almost a decade and mom wanted to feed him All The Things).

Tonight’s farewell dinner was perhaps his favorite of our family meals, and one of my dad’s favorite dishes to eat and to feed family and friends: jumbo prawns with peas. There were a lot more prawns than I had anticipated when I made the masala and the peas, so it was a bit more skewed than dad’s version :rofl:

And some of the past week’s dinners:

Crab curry and rice:

Fried fish (fabulously fresh pomfret), dal, and rice:

Goan Pork Chilli Fry:

Prawn curry (with potatoes) and rice:

Parsi Mutton Dhansak with ALL the fixings (kababs, fried dried bombay duck, papad, kachumbar):

24 Likes

I keep reading and rereading that menu trying to figure out how it relates to your photos. I must be slow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That was just a menu for the day. We were there for the steak frites, obviously :wink:

Ah, OK. Pretty reasonable prices.

1 Like

Not a lot of posts in the last week as they have been mainly repeats. Did forget this from the other night:

Greek apps outside followed by mom’s pastitsio (which we left in a tad too long).

Hoping to cook something tonight. Still undecided on what I want. I’m dining so, so it can be anything.

18 Likes

Shrimp sauteed in the chili/garlic oil I made earlier with some romaine/pickled vegetables/tomatoes/Parm Reg and tossed in a red wine Dijon vinaigrette.
I made the chili oil with fresh chilies that I assumed were hot(gifted to me by my seester) but I’m not sure as I didn’t taste them before I cooked them, maybe they need time to mingle.

17 Likes

I made mushroom wafu pasta from the NYT, but reducing the garlic and oil and using pappardelle. I deglazed the pan with mirin, which added a sweet-savory dimension, and topped the final dish with a sprinkle of furikake and sliced scallion greens. The mushrooms were chanterelles I foraged, shitake, and button.

22 Likes

Hot and humid with lots of rain and thunder expected.
Shrimp cocktail and shrimp/scallop cakes from Whole Foods. Homemade cocktail sauce with lots of horseradish and lemon, Iggy’s bread, tabbouleh from a local shop. Red and white wine.
A nice summer meal.

17 Likes

They look good. Were they?

Yes, we have had them before. Pretty good. Already cooked and we reheat in the fry pan or toaster oven. An easy meal, squeeze of lemon and green salad.
The crab cakes are pretty good too. Andover MA store.

2 Likes

Thx!

1 Like

The ongoing headache continues. Errands in heat and high humidity didn’t do me well. Hopefully the rain and change in temp overnight will help.

Because of the headache, I didn’t go to friends’ BBQ cookout tonight. Had some sausage to freeze or use, broccoli to use, and the basil is going bonkers. So dinner on the fly.

Cooked cellentani pasta (corkscrew), adding broccoli florets at the end, and drained it all.

Sauteed sausage squozen out of their casings, minced garlic, Aleppo pepper, added a cup or so of Muir Glen chopped roasted tomatoes and sauce, heavy cream, and pasta water along with a large handful of grated Parm-Reg, then added the pasta and broccoli. Chopped green onions added at the last minute, then torn basil and a sprinkle of more Parm-Reg.

21 Likes

WOW!!! Spectacular and super yummy looking!! Need to get those gorgeous curry recipes from you one day!!

2 Likes

Hopefully that headache will go away soon. And I hope snuggles from Finn and Murphy will help cure what ails you :wink:

6 Likes

Linda, channeling my mom side: have you talked to your doc?

2 Likes