What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Thank you!!
What’s worse?!..with so much time to kill, no new TV programs to watch due to screen writers and actor strikes! Ha!

1 Like

Beef, it’s what’s for dinner.

Well, ok, it’s actually venison.

But who’s keeping track.

“Venison, it’s what’s for dinner” … just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

20 Likes

LOVE Venison!! Did you make any yummy sauce to go with it?!
ELK next time?! …IMO taste even better…sweeter!

1 Like

That looks delicious and restorative! Best wishes for the speediest of recoveries!

3 Likes

No, just the natural juices from the venison touched with a generous dose of salt and pepper.

1 Like

Dinner tonight was Bacalhau à Bruxa de Valpaços (Salt Cod in the style of the Witch of Valpaços (I subbed fresh haddock), which I again wrote up on the current Portuguese Cuisine of The Quarter thread. Very rich, but with that name, despite the 91F temps, I had to make it (and highly recommend the recipe)!

23 Likes

Thank you Amanda!
The Covid strain I caught must be of a weaker variant since I managed to maintain a full sense of smell and taste…unlike in the early days when loss of smell & taste were the main identifier!?!

4 Likes

Ack! I’m so sorry to hear you caught Covid-19 especially if it’s the second time. I caught Covid a year and a half ago when the omnicron virus was going around and remember feeling EXHAUSTED the whole. I hope you feel well soon.

2 Likes

Dinner tonight was cast iron pizza and a side salad. Still working on a good pizza dough as my dough never really rises even after 24 hours. And I’ve been obsessed with almonds and parmesean on any greens.

The pizza tonight was to celebrate a successful surgery for Connie. 2 weeks of The Cone will fly by I’m sure!

25 Likes

Leftover Kiymali Ispanak (from the freezer) with a garlicky yogurt sauce. Homemade pita. Garden green beans (frozen last season). Freshly picked cukes and tomatoes.

22 Likes

Grilled chicken thighs, Carolina tangy gold sauce, cotc with garlic herb butter. Romaine, radicchio, green onion, celery, tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese salad with ranch dressing. Wine.

23 Likes

Cheeseburger made from a half pound of sirloin ground by pulsing in food processor after cutting into strips and freezing for 10 minutes. Formed into a patty, seared in a pan, and into a 300 degree oven until the internal temp was around 130. Should have taken it out a little sooner, 120 maybe, as it was medium rather than medium rare. And freezer fries.

24 Likes

So no Aaron Copeland theme music. Maybe something from Bambi?

Nope.

Just this.

1 Like
1 Like

Kimchi Soup with (mild) kimchi, pork belly, ginger, garlic, onion, vegetable broth, light soy sauce, scallions and cilantro

14 Likes

Blech COVID. Get well soon. I lost my sense of taste and smell for months which really sucked because it was over the Christmas season. Life was very bland and I was very annoying as I had to ask for help in tasting the food I was making before serving. Btw, for that cough of yours, try Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. It’s the only thing that helped me.

5 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was vegetarian peanut soup with rice and chopped peanuts.

21 Likes

Jumbo overstuffed mushrooms. For something so simple, it was amazing. One of the best dishes I’ve made recently. Italian breadcrumbs, panko, crushed red pepper, garlic, diced onion, and a ton of fresh parsley, Parmesan, and olive oil. And of course, the best part is all that crispy stuffing at the bottom of the plate.

This was an app while having drinks outside before dinner (G & T for me, Pinot Grigio for BF). Dinner was build-your-own personal pizzas. No pics since we went exactly with what we had last week.

25 Likes

My goodness those are beautiful! Thank you for the idea!

1 Like