What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Orecchiette with Sugo Bianco - made with ground beef and veal, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, rosemary, bay leaves, juniper berries, parsley, white wine and beef broth
IMG_7273

18 Likes

Tonight’s Easter dinner was Ham, Sweet Potatoes (with butter and light brown sugar), Stuffing with pork gravy, peas and cranberry sauce.

Sunshine enjoyed part of her Easter Bunny as dessert!!

24 Likes

Easster Dinner from the pricey butcher was ham with gravy, green beans and scalloped russet and sweet potatoes . It was delicious! Dessert was the last of my favourite butter tarts. No picture since the battery in my phone was too low amd I couldn’t wait for my phone to charge.

20 Likes

Matzoh nachos with leftover brisket that I chopped and spiced with extra chiles, cumin and cocoa, cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, pickled jalapeños and carrots, sour cream and The Sprout’s guacamole. Grilled spring onions on the side. Not kosher but keeping in the spirit of Passover.

26 Likes

WC are, like many industialized food items from the last century, sui generis. They are, objectively, bad hamburgers. The beef is not terribly flavorful. They mostly taste like rehydrated onions, they are soft and mushy (my partner said it was like vaguely burger-flavored baby food. She isn’t wrong.) The bread is so insubstantial it seems to dissolve the minute it hits your tongue.

And yet, there isn’t anything that is quite like them, and if you want them, you want them, specifically, and there are very few adequate substitutes to be found.

Also in this category: Jack in the Box tacos. Kraft Mac & Cheese (aka blue box, Kraft Dinner), school cafeteria pizza…

I have, on a number of occasions, made my own WC-like sliders at home, creating, forming, and freezing individual little slider-sized patties, steaming them on a bed of onions, etc. etc… and it works. But honestly… they’re too good. They taste too much like actual food. And making them is WAY more effort than picking up a frozen box at WinCo on sale at lesss than $1/slider.

6 Likes

Dinner tonight was supposed to the leftover Chinese from the day before yesterday.

But we finished those delicious but gloppy noodles, and apparently everyone here is a noodle fiend, so there was much hemming and hawing about whether we should “order in some noodles to supplement” — even though there was enough fried rice and chicken to feed another family :rofl:

So I decided to pull together a batch of the new house-favorite umami noodles. Tonight’s iteration had some charred spring onions and cabbage, and a light sprinkling of oyster mushrooms (because mom says mushrooms are about to grow out of her ears, fair point).

Good thing I did, because when I tasted the fried rice, it had turned, so there went that plan.

Mom had the noodles, paneer with black and woodear mushrooms leftover from the other day, and some soya-chilli beyond steak I found in the freezer.

We had the noodles, steamed chicken with black mushrooms and ginger over plain rice, and egg custard / chawanmushi with a bit of chilli oil on top. The chawanmushi turned out pretty perfectly, which was a relief because it was my first time making it for my sister but she’s been hearing about me eating it for years :flushed: — so phew to no liquid separating, like with soft scrambled eggs when making them for other people :rofl:.

21 Likes

Sometimes I overanalyze the taste/desire/budget/practicality conundrum and just say, ‘feck it’ and go for it. Satisfaction.

2 Likes

That looks like it should be framed and hung in the Smithsonian.

14 Likes

Thank you for that cake link! I will be making this for my kiddo’s teachers.

1 Like

Hot damn. Please send some this way.

1 Like

My good friend dropped off a lasagna, which we had last night with a CSA greens and crispy shallot salad. I made a simple dressing using Dijon, oo, herbes de Provence, white wine vinegar, and lemon curd (why the hell not…just sugar, lemon juice, and egg yolk?!). Worked out. My husband even hoovered the lemony dressing without complaint. The last of the Whole Foods garlic bread ciabatta alongside.

PXL_20230409_224152669.MP~2

18 Likes

Always eat the ears first :grinning:

5 Likes

Tonight we made seared branzino (TJ’s - properly cooked but just OK), shredded Brussels sauteed and dressed with white wine vinegar, walnut oil, and toasted walnuts and breadcrumbs, and ramp pesto pappardelle. Good but the pesto was rather heavy (my DH added a bit of cream to tame the ramps).

17 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was basa fillet with black bean sauce served over long and wild rice. Roasted red, orange and yellow peppers and asparagus on the side

16 Likes

Our planned lamb feast for Sunday had to be postponed to today: local lamb loin chops that have been marinating since Saturday morning, fasoulakia I started Saturday afternoon, pilaf & tzatziki.

19 Likes

Thank you.

Smitten Kitchen’s skillet ravioli – the first time I have ever purchased fresh, premade pasta.

I made a half-batch for the two of us, using ricotta for the cheese. If I had access to better pasta, I could see making this dish again. I would increase the amount of spinach mightily, however. I had nearly doubled it, and it still wasn’t enough veg for our taste.

22 Likes

playing catch-up again.

Tonight the BF made cheeseboigas with a wedge salad and his homemade blue cheese dressing, and cheeps!

last night I made a Chef John recipe we both thought looked good - t-bone lamb chops in a tamarind/5 spice marinade, but they were just too tart for us, even though there was brown sugar in the marinade. we ate one huge chop, the other got cleaned off and put away for tacos later this week. At least they turned out nice and juicy - cooked entirely in the broiler, which we almost never do. I made coconut rice with shallots/ginger/garlic, which turned out really good. TJ’s coconut oil was a great sub for coconut milk. BF made a cuke salad.

And Sat. night I went to friends’ house for a dinner party - he worked on the meal for two weeks prior - made cassoulet from scratch, from his “library” of confits! The cassoulet was absolutely delicious. He also made a chervil soup which was a little bland, roasted asparagus with a really great garum sauce, and salad. for starters we munched on crudites, good cheeses, duck prosciutto, fresh fruit, and a dish of anchovies and fried rosemary with pepperoncini that knocked our socks off. Bubbles to start, Manhattans, and two bottles of red i brought. Another friend made a lamby cake - super cute, and scrumptious too.

I’ll spare y’all the pic of the after dinner drink 3 of the 8 of us braved (a snake liquor) - a horror show to look at but didn’t taste quite as bad as I thought it would. But i never need to do that again.

Damian champagne

Damian Manhattan

Damian Pinot

Damian tablesetting bunnies

Damian wine 1

23 Likes

That all looks scrumptious!

1 Like

A day late, but we had our Easter Dinner tonight, or as I call it, “Thanksgiving: The Sequel”. An exact replica. I had to work today and BF was off, so he did it all.

22 Likes