What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

I saw that recipe and shared in my Facebook cooking group (mostly so I wouldn’t forget about it). I haven’t made it yet myself, but one member did & loved it.

1 Like

I loved it too!

1 Like

Fairly close with condiments and toppings, but nowhere comparable to a really good grind burger.

1 Like

I rarely share restaurant meals but this was just too good: grouper tacos with curtido and “Baja” sauce (spicy mayo/crema), nopales, and fried plantains with crema. We were served elote as a free appetizer. Everything was excellent! I got some of their very fresh, very spicy salsas on the side. My husband had the same main with their bacon-y charro pinto beans. :drooling_face:

18 Likes

Don’t forget to let the packs thaw in the fridge for optimum results. I have found (ahem) that they do not do well at all, even following directions, when nuked from frozen. And I’ve tried all sorts of hacks. They are my equivalent of a pop-tart …

2 Likes

Toasted sandwiches for dinner tonight (because I didn’t feel like making pizza sauce, plus electrician didn’t come so outlet the countertop oven plugs into is still sparking).

Mom had her favorite tomato and cheese (mix of aged cheddar and Amul, the iconic local brand of processed cheddar).

We had roast beef and cheddar (with a sprinkle of truffle salt on the beef).

I made a substantial vegetable soup to go with, in lieu of a salad or side vegetable. Carrots, dudhi / bottle gourd / calabash, aromatics, and a bit of moong dal for heft.

I made an evening snack to go with tea earlier — we have some tasty ritz-like crackers that seem to have a chaat masala component, so I thought they’d be good in chaat, and I used them as the base for sev puri (topping with onion, potato, chutneys, and sev). Even mom couldn’t resist a full plate — they were really good!

21 Likes

One plate of our Easter dinner for two, on my Grandmother’s china. Success. Everything was ready at about the same time, and tasted the way I wanted: Ham with Joy of Cooking’s Spirit Glaze, fresh orange segments, asparagus with lemony one-egg hollandaise, ripe olives, devilled egg, a quarter of a gigantic sweet potato, cold pea salad. Because this already was a lot of food, I skipped making the beet-pickled eggs into devilled eggs and will instead prepare those for supper tonight / lunch tomorrow.

Most of the ham leftovers are now frozen in 2 slice packets with some of the glaze, some w/o extra glaze was cubed before freezing, and a few slices with glaze are in the fridge for easy meals tonight & tomorrow.

I was pleased to find the ripe olives in a 4-pack of “servings to go” cups. A single cup was enough for our meal, leaving 3 sealed with long shelf-life, and now I don’t need to find all my ripe olive recipes for leftovers.

20 Likes

Hmmm. I’ll consider this. I’ve found I get reasonable results if I break the two sliders apart and poke a couple of small holes in the plastic package, and nuke them from frozen for 1 minute. (The whole point is “I am hungry NOW.” after all. having to plan seems rather against the spirit of it the enterprise)

2 Likes

Beautiful! It is so nice to see someone else out there using ancestral place ware. That needs its own thread!

3 Likes

With a squirt of mustard for me. White Castle burgers are just like the ones we had for hamburger day in grade school.

Beautiful china :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Slow roasted Arctic Char with fennel, citrus, and chiles over a warm lentil salad. Arctic Char adapted from this recipe - https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roasted-salmon-with-fennel-citrus-and-chiles
We also had a take and bake rosemary loaf for dipping in the olive oil from the fish recipe. Delicious!

A note on the recipe - Slice your citrus and fennel thinly (and, if you’re me, add 6-8 whole garlic cloves) and give them a head start in the olive oil in a 375-400F oven for about 20 minutes. That way you can ensure that they will be cooked through by the time the salmon is done in the 275F oven. I roasted them in the morning and let them (and the oven) cool off. Worked great!

19 Likes

Thanks. I inherited partial sets from Grandparents on both sides, and also my Mom & Dad’s china. Only 3 dinner plates and a couple of cups in this set, which I like to use for Easter when we’re just 2 at home. I use the set from the other Grandparents for our Anniversary and Thanksgiving, and my parents’ set for Christmas and New Years. Many happy memories for me with each set.

12 Likes

You can just stash a couple of the packs in one of the colder fridge drawers, so they’re cold but thawed. I think they have a 10 day use by once you do this, which is never a problem. I’ve tried your method with the frozen ones, even adding a wet paper towel and a microwave plate cover to try to “steam” things up a bit but the bread inevitably turns hard. Not so if they’re thawed and waiting in the fridge for right now consumption. After all, there are only 3 packs in a box.

Stunning! :drooling_face:

Thank you! It is quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to prepare salmon and salmon adjacent fishies. Highly recommend!

1 Like

I’m probably one of the few people who don’t like WC. I found them mushy and just not what I want in a burger or slider.

1 Like

You are by far not the only one -I think they are disgusting with a weird consistency and flavor.

1 Like

Indulgence Day #3:

Semi-boneless leg of lamb, slathered this morning with a mix of 1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary, 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic, s/p, 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice. Let it sit in the fridge until 1 hour before roasting at 350° until internal temp was 135°. Pulled and let it sit to rest.

Side #1 was par-steamed baby potatoes which were then oiled up and seasoned with s/p and dried thyme and roasted in the convection oven.

Sides #2 & 3 were glazed carrots (what my Mom called Tzimmes) and steamed asparagus.

Homemade gravy and Mrs. Miller’s mint jelly alongside, the mint jelly is hiding behind the lamb).

Oh, there was wine!

Dessert was Southern Lemon Pound Cske with mashed and fresh raspberries and freshly whipped cream.

22 Likes

That is what I need to do is rotate all of the sets we’ve inherited from multiple grandparents and great aunts and uncles. Same with the silver. I’ve tried to hand much of it off to the kids, but they’re not interested. I’ve considered getting it sold to Replacements

3 Likes